• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GPS Mounting

martinrob1161256

Hi all - just got my new to me C14. I'm looking to see how others have mounted thier GPS. I have Garmin XT and have mounted it on the center of the bars. It sits way too low where I have to look down taking my eyes off the road. I don't see much room to mount above the gauges and I'm not a fan of mounting it high on the bars. Any other suggestions? Maps and memory may be my solution :unsure:

Hi all - just got my new to me C14. I'm looking to see how others have mounted thier GPS. I have Garmin XT and have mounted it on the center of the bars. It sits way too low where I have to look down taking my eyes off the road. I don't see much room to mount above the gauges and I'm not a fan of mounting it high on the bars. Any other suggestions? Maps and memory may be my solution :unsure:
@martinrob1161256 congrats on the new to you C14, and welcome to COG - glad to see you’ve signed up as a full member. This being your very first post, it is obviously important to you, so let me share my personal thoughts.

For us maps and memory are not the solution. The GPS offers reliable worry and distraction free (safety), flexibility, spontaneity and confidence to ride anywhere no matter how far or unknown or off the beaten path. GPS ease of use and tools have improved greatly and include items such as traffic, weather, built in route planning, searchable points of interest, years of usable life and I’m only scratching the surface.

See picture below where we mounted our GPS - this is the Ram Clutch/Brake Reservoir Ball Mount, Ram has lots of options and accessories to customize the mount. We have +100K miles on our machines with this setup and never an issue. At risk of sounding like a commercial - The Ram ball mount is:
  • Left of center (for us since it’s on the clutch side)
  • Never in the way of hands
  • Never in the line of sight to mirrors, road, meters
  • Infinitesimally adjustable in height, rotation, angle, position
  • Secure / sturdy and will last many years
  • Positioned nicely to make on the fly GPS adjustments (pull over in a safe spot first 😉)
  • Perfect position and height for the pillion rider (good and bad.. lol)
  • Weatherproof
  • Adaptable to different ball mount plates for various GPS brands
  • Widely available

3491E4CA-4946-4817-9837-E07E402319FE.jpeg

4A76B1C1-0427-445D-9381-9D902EA6F364.jpeg

Hope this helps - again, welcome to COG.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

@martinrob1161256 congrats on the new to you C14, and welcome to COG - glad to see you’ve signed up as a full member. This being your very first post, it is obviously important to you, so let me share my personal thoughts.

For us maps and memory are not the solution. The GPS offers reliable worry and distraction free (safety), flexibility, spontaneity and confidence to ride anywhere no matter how far or unknown or off the beaten path. GPS ease of use and tools have improved greatly and include items such as traffic, weather, built in route planning, searchable points of interest, years of usable life and I’m only scratching the surface.

See picture below where we mounted our GPS - this is the Ram Clutch/Brake Reservoir Ball Mount, Ram has lots of options and accessories to customize the mount. We have +100K miles on our machines with this setup and never an issue. At risk of sounding like a commercial - The Ram ball mount is:
  • Left of center (for us since it’s on the clutch side)
  • Never in the way of hands
  • Never in the line of sight to mirrors, road, meters
  • Infinitesimally adjustable in height, rotation, angle, position
  • Secure / sturdy and will last many years
  • Positioned nicely to make on the fly GPS adjustments (pull over in a safe spot first 😉)
  • Perfect position and height for the pillion rider (good and bad.. lol)
  • Weatherproof
  • Adaptable to different ball mount plates for various GPS brands
  • Widely available

View attachment 37502

View attachment 37503

Hope this helps - again, welcome to COG.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Thanks for the welcome!
I saw somewhere that there is a bracket/shelf for above the dash - maybe it was another bike. I don't think there is enough room there. Also wondered if anyone mounted it to the left of the speedo.
I do have my phone mounted there already with the ram mount. I guess I'll move my XT there and keep phone in pocket.

Thanks for the welcome!
I saw somewhere that there is a bracket/shelf for above the dash - maybe it was another bike. I don't think there is enough room there. Also wondered if anyone mounted it to the left of the speedo.
I do have my phone mounted there already with the ram mount. I guess I'll move my XT there and keep phone in pocket.
Placing GPS down by the speedo is what I did years ago, not cool - eyes too far from the road.

Use caution with cell phone on a solid mount like the Ram Mount - vibration can render irreparable the camera mechanisms.

You could get a second Ram Mount, if you were not concerned with the camera damage and mount the phone on one XT on the other.

If not already done the keyed power cord is readily available in the loom of wires left side under the dash, run your accessories off the keyed power vs cigarette lighter.

The above dash mount is for the C-10.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Thanks for the welcome!
There is such a unicorn. Search c14 dash shelf. It'll show u what it looks like. All my researched showed it was available from a company called BMS, I believe in Utah. No longer in business. Y bought the one from that listing. I probably sshould make a template from my unit and see about selling them.

As u can see simple installation. Another member, fartymarty added an additional brace to each end. In the 4 years I've used mine, I've had no issues.

Attachments

• 17021713568217173665865101183803.jpg
    17021713568217173665865101183803.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 17021713772362046690294460883355.jpg
    17021713772362046690294460883355.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 17021714143467146710257225363953.jpg
    17021714143467146710257225363953.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 52
Nice, however not for me - this takes up way too much primate line of sight (IMO).

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Thanks for the welcome!
I may have found a supplier to the shelf, ill keep y'all posted!!

Placing GPS down by the speedo is what I did years ago, not cool - eyes too far from the road.

Use caution with cell phone on a solid mount like the Ram Mount - vibration can render irreparable the camera mechanisms.

You could get a second Ram Mount, if you were not concerned with the camera damage and mount the phone on one XT on the other.

If not already done the keyed power cord is readily available in the loom of wires left side under the dash, run your accessories off the keyed power vs cigarette lighter.

The above dash mount is for the C-10.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I have this project in process on the C-14 now. Any more tips on finding the correct power wire?

I worked out a similar on the Goldwing and worked well on the left. The fishing of the wire through to the fuse box on that one was a pain, but mounting to the clutch bracket worked well. Thanks.

I have this project in process on the C-14 now. Any more tips on finding the correct power wire?

I worked out a similar on the Goldwing and worked well on the left. The fishing of the wire through to the fuse box on that one was a pain, but mounting to the clutch bracket worked well. Thanks.
No need to run new wires, Kawasaki provided front and rear keyed power wires. This power source is limited though to 5 amps.

Below is for a factory machine, if a current owner or previous owner has changed beware and test all wires for live electricity.

By the glove box (although I suggest removing the glove box - technically no need to remove any plastics just turn the handlebars to the far right) there is a collection of wires inside a rubber boot (looks like an upside down cup).

In this boot you’ll find 2 loose wires - one with a male and other with a female bullet connector capped with clear(ish) rubber connectors. The power wire is Black with Yellow stripe and has the male connector.

Remove the caps (note: with key on this is a hot circuit so don’t remove covers with key on…) then:
  • Slide on some heat shrink connect bullets from your accessory apply heat gun and your done (OR)
  • Clip the factor connectors for your preferred, properly install connectors, heat shrink for weather proofing.
Hope this helps @ron203.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

No need to run new wires, Kawasaki provided front and rear keyed power wires. This power source is limited though to 5 amps.

Below is for a factory machine, if a current owner or previous owner has changed beware and test all wires for live electricity.

By the glove box (although I suggest removing the glove box - technically no need to remove any plastics just turn the handlebars to the far right) there is a collection of wires inside a rubber boot (looks like an upside down cup).

In this boot you’ll find 2 loose wires - one with a male and other with a female bullet connector capped with clear(ish) rubber connectors. The power wire is Black with Yellow stripe and has the male connector.

Remove the caps (note: with key on this is a hot circuit so don’t remove covers with key on…) then:
  • Slide on some heat shrink connect bullets from your accessory apply heat gun and your done (OR)
  • Clip the factor connectors for your preferred, properly install connectors, heat shrink for weather proofing.
Hope this helps @ron203.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Awesome, Wayne!! I sort of remembered the boot from some previous “adventure in wiring” but this is very helpful!
Thank you!
Ron

Check with meter. The black with yellow is ground on most Kawasaki bikes. Plus if it's hot, the connector will be an insulated female bullet type, less chance of accidentally grounding.

Check with meter. The black with yellow is ground on most Kawasaki bikes. Plus if it's hot, the connector will be an insulated female bullet type, less chance of accidentally grounding.
Good intel.

Ok so both wires are there - check which one power if needed for accessory.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I agree that the shelf take up too much space. I think I'm going to run my phone through the Garmin and mount the gps on the phone holder. It all goes to my headset anyway. And Ron - the female connector is the HOT.

I agree that the shelf take up too much space. I think I'm going to run my phone through the Garmin and mount the gps on the phone holder. It all goes to my headset anyway. And Ron - the female connector is the HOT.

Thanks!

I installed the ram mount today. Three different sizes of bolts came with it to mount it to the clutch clamp and none fit. (It takes two 6mmx45mm machine screw size from Ace Hdwe if anyone needs to know). I’ll get around to the wiring next.

Ok boys and girls, here's what I know about the dash shelf for the c14. I found the company that sells them, but they are out of stock and need an order of 10 before they will make more. I'm willing to commit to the 10 and sell them to those that want them. They are still only charging $89 plus shipping. I'm not looking to make a profit, so likewise it would be $89 plus shipping.

Any takers..?

Ok boys and girls, here's what I know about the dash shelf for the c14. I found the company that sells them, but they are out of stock and need an order of 10 before they will make more. I'm willing to commit to the 10 and sell them to those that want them. They are still only charging $89 plus shipping. I'm not looking to make a profit, so likewise it would be $89 plus shipping.

Any takers..?
Any pictures from rides with riders on their machines with a shelf/ GPS installed and/ or measurements? Or even better yet can you mount your machine and take a photo of the view from eye level?

The above might help get you to ten quicker and also inform those deciding if it is what they want.

Good resourcefulness @Konehead34!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Here's how mine looks, screen is at lowest position by the way. Please pardon the garage clutter. 2nd pic that has GPS appearing lower is taken at eye level with hands on controls.

Attachments

• 17023410264007196109583217219345.jpg
    17023410264007196109583217219345.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 17023410699455263500522867614195.jpg
    17023410699455263500522867614195.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 43
Any pictures from rides with riders on their machines with a shelf/ GPS installed and/ or measurements? Or even better yet can you mount your machine and take a photo of the view from eye level?

The above might help get you to ten quicker and also inform those deciding if it is what they want.

Good resourcefulness @Konehead34!

Wayne, Carol & Blue
There are those of us that have painted the inside of the windshield black and found that the only time we missed being able to see through it is during rare trailer loading. I mention this because some seemed concerned about having the GPS up high obscuring their vision. It won't, and I think it is much safer to have it up high. I may have taken it to an extreme, which is fine for me and I'm not recommending it for others, however an installation like Konehead34's would probably work best for most here and be safer than having it down low. Another advantage of this kind of GPS install instead of on the bars is your wiring doesn't get constantly flexed from steering. There will be some slight flexing of the shelf with the GPS weight cantilevered as you go over bumps but usually it is pretty stable. My GPS is higher and there us extra weight from a radar display and is more cantilevered than Konehead34's is, so I get more flexing over bumps. I'd put a photo of mine here but it would scare some of you away from what is really a good idea. It is easy to get your head down and locked even when you tell yourself that you will use all your self control to only glance at it....eventually you'll get locked on it when you are trying to do something on the fly or there is a strange turn ahead that you aren't quite sure of...it will get you sucked in and not see something ahead until too late. On the bars, or on a shelf, try to get your GPS up high near your normal sight line when riding.

Very nice of you to do this Patrick! 👍 👏👏👏

Please pardon the garage clutter.

Errr...NO we don't do that here.
So you think that's clutter? Ha!!!...you shouldn't issue challenges that you can't possibly win.:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome Martinrob' ! 👍🤗
We're glad you're here!

Last edited:
On the bars, or on a shelf, try to get your GPS up high near your normal sight line when riding.
Totally aligned with this statement and found the bar mount with 4” Ram Ball mount roswr adequately meets beat of all worlds.

Painting windshield no go for me. That is the beauty of it though - different folks, different ideas - what works for one not necessarily for another, but it doesn’t matter whatever makes each happy, comfortable and safe on the road.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Mines mounted with a 6inch arm matching the angle of the windscreen. That way the weight on the dash is carried better,.less torque of the shelf inward and it in my sweet spot for checking the map.

Here's an idea for power connection to your XT. This allows you to easily move it between bikes (or other vehicles). The SAE outlet fits nicely on the left side, where there is a blank spot but limited space due to a metal bracket behind it. The SAE connector is the same type used by many of the battery tenders.

Attachments

• ZumoXT-Install_20221203_004_IMG_7124.JPG
    ZumoXT-Install_20221203_004_IMG_7124.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 13
  • ZumoXT-Install_20221203_012_IMG_7132.JPG
    ZumoXT-Install_20221203_012_IMG_7132.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 12