• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GPS mouted and working but I need help.......

sas mayhem

Street Cruiser
to make routes.

Here is my install  and thank to  Texanrider for his inputs  :thumbs:

allsorts190.jpg

hard mouted in to the dash.  I took off the inner cover to gain access to the underside.
and the final result.  It straight in my line of sight.
allsorts193.jpg

Ok now it works fine and is very very stable.  Now for my help. I can put in direction with ease. But I need to know how/help in making a route and loading it.  For example.
I want to plot this entire loop http://tailofthedragon.com/maps_loop.html
in my Garmin 765T. And name it Tail of the dragon  . With a start and finish. How can I do that?  I download some maps but there all corrodinates (sp) I want to pull up in favorites name or route xxx. start point and do it.  I have mapsource and google earth too.  Help please.

Cheers
Ron

Use Mapsource to create your route. Use lots of waypoints as the Nuvi will recalculate the route unless forced (that's why the Zumo is better, it doesn't recalc routes from Mapsource). Don't use Via's, as in my experience with my 765T, the Nuvi will still recalc ignoring them.

Save as a GPX file and then transfer that to the Nuvi (the Nuvi doesn't recognize GDB files). Then you have to import the route. On my 765 that's under Tools-My Data-Import.

Nice mounting, but you may find it kills the Nuvi in that location because of the shock and vibration that comes up through the fairing.  I've got mine mounted to the upper triple tree with an old Gadget Guy mount and Ram arm and ball.

When I open Mapsoure there is no terrain to start from, now map, do i need to modify one that is already there?  Thanks by the way for your input.

Ehh? No terrain? First, Mapsource does not show terrain, it's like an old fashioned paper map. You need to zoom in, find your start point and plot your route.

If no map is shown, use the drop down box at the top right to select your City Navigator map. For instance, I gave an old version 4.01 of NA City Navigator, a current City Navigator North America NT 2012, and City Navigator Europe 2012 to choose from. If none is available, you need to reload Mapsource from your disc.

JPavlis_CA said:
Ehh? No terrain? First, Mapsource does not show terrain, it's like an old fashioned paper map. You need to zoom in, find your start point and plot your route.

If no map is shown, use the drop down box at the top right to select your City Navigator map. For instance, I gave an old version 4.01 of NA City Navigator, a current City Navigator North America NT 2012, and City Navigator Europe 2012 to choose from. If none is available, you need to reload Mapsource from your disc.

Errrrrr ???? :confuse: disc??? Ummm !!! I download mapsouce from the Garmin site.... I gather there is more to it?  ???

If there's no map shown, or available in the drop down box, you need to redownload it.

There is a GPS seminar on the National Rally schedule that will partly cover how to use Mapsource to create routes

Ronald - I should clarify. Something went wrong with the installation of Mapsource on your computer, you need to reinstall it.

But then again, since posting this, I have this nagging thought... it's been so long since I did a clean install of Mapsource, but I seem to remember it comes up blank and you have to do an "Open" of the GDB file.

Nope, just checked, that's not it.

Ron -

Have you installed the map datum for mthe CD/DVD provided?
Have you unlock the maps?
Have you opening a Mapsource (.gdb} file someone else created to see if you can view it?

S Smith said:
Ron -

Have you installed the map datum for mthe CD/DVD provided?
Have you unlock the maps?
Have you opening a Mapsource (.gdb} file someone else created to see if you can view it?

No I downloaded Mapsource form Garmin site, no CD/DVD
No unlocked maps
Yes I have, and I get a grarphed white screen, with wayponts

Sorry If I'm being dense.

Cheers
Ron

That doesn't make any sense. You must have missed something during the install.

Try asking about your problem on one of these forums.

You could always ask the question in the GPS Review forums http://forums.gpsreview.net/  in the Nuvi forum.

Or try the Garmin support forums.  https://forums.garmin.com/  Garmin techs monitor these forums.

I just looked on the Garming forums, and it seems the full mapsource is only available on DVD, the download is only an update. See this thread, kagnshirt's response halfway down.  https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=21271

You could try downloading it from here  http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209#Instruct

Yep you are right, I missed that. I just ordered the disc.  So I'll report back, once I getit.

Cheers
Ron