• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GPS Reviews

redline

Ok, now that I am getting ready to go on my first really long trip, and I want to find some good roads and see lots of things, I'm starting to think about getting a better GPS for my bike. I currently have a refurbushed tomtom one that works. I guess I would like some input from your experiences, pros and cons of GPS you all use. From what I know so far is, that i want to be able to plug in multi destinations (waypoints) for the route, external earphone plug for the helmet. what about importing route maps etc.... anything else to look out for? thanks in advance for your input Ted Proud to be American! (since 2005) Lost and found in 1991 2008 C14 "Freebird"

Love my Zumo, ready for both car and bike use out of the box. It'll do everything you need it do as far as routing, maps, etc. Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

Zomo 550 for me also. Like the motorcycle icon on the display also. Yes it do work very well. Sammie Timmons 74 gt380 totaled 74 gt750 totaled 80 gs850 totaled 05 vulcan 750 traded 08 c14 my baby 08 versys (my wife's)

Very happy with my Garmin Quest 2, waterproof,can upload you own routes, slips into your pocket easily. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

I opted for the Nuvi 5000. Sacraficed the bluetooth for the larger screen. Have to connnect earphones for sound but I don't mind that. Also, NOT waterproof but the bigger screen is really nice.

Zumo 550 is the only way to go. Garmin Quest 2 is out date and on long being made.
If you've got the money that's fine. But I got a refurb'ed Quest for $100, with a powered cradle for $45, on Amazon that works great. All the bells & whistles of the Zumo? No. Solid basic GPS capabilities, IPX7 rating for waterproofness, 20 hr LiIon battery for off bike use? Yep. Don't like having to manually load maps for every trip, but saved me $150 over the price of a refurb'ed Quest2, and only takes about 15 min to totally reload. 1 yr factory warranty from an approved/highly rated seller. There are options... Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'

There isnt a whole lot that a Zumo will do that a refurb 2730 for $169.00 wont. If cash wasnt an issue I would love the Zumo but since it is I will take the 2730.

Zumo 550 - Owned for 2 years, upgraded with 2009 mapping software this year. Happy and not lost camper

Zumo 550. If mounting on a C10, try the Touratech mounting bracket, helps isolate the vibration of if you mount directly to the brake or clutch handle bolts. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA COG # 7598 CDA#0293

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all the input. Has been very helpful. It certainly helped me and showed me once again the value of researching before buying and the input from people who actually use these things. From all the things I discovered about the different features on GPS's , I think I would value the feature of being able to input your own maps or for that matter shared them with each other. They need to come out with a standard....... I found some utilities to convert maps or actually was able to use ms streets and trips, which I really like to use to plan my trips, and then convert it and upload it to my gps. I actually managed to get one in my tomtom one. Again, thanks for all your help. Ted Proud to be American! (since 2005) Lost and found in 1991 2008 C14 "Freebird"

When you say upload maps do you mean routes? The maps are already in the GPS. Too many terms out there. I was a GPS noob and got the Zumo and love it. I'm looking at the new 660!!!! I ran through all the different scenarios and with all the differnt GPS', mounts, cables and software and after looking at the numbers the Zumo really wasn't all that much more considering what you get. Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA