• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GPS tracking/SOS

sas mayhem

Street Cruiser
  Anyone here use one on a regular basis's?  I was thinking the other day when my wife and I were riding around here WNC through the mountains.  If I was to "get off" my bike and no one was around to witness it, we would be a fossil before our bodies were found. Some of those drop offs are a looooong way down. Also there are soooo many dead zones here that cells won't receive a signal.

The other day my wife and I were in town and was talking to a guy that was in a off road accident on his BMW, in TN. He wrecked and landed on his head/back and was afraid to move. As he layed there he was able to reach his device (inReach) and was able to get help.  He mentioned he like the fact he was able to contact help and tell them what happened. Rather than the entire SAR coming responding was great. But once the EMT's got there he said, the called a chopper to get him to the hospital.  I asked him did his insurance cover the cost of the air lift, he chuckled and said"... about 1500.00 he get billed for the 37,000,00 balance.  He said the bill for the pickup came the same day in the mail as a 3 rd party insurance party from inReach application. It would have covered the cost...."

He also said that you can pay as you need it (service) So when ever you go out and about in the mountains you can go on line and turn it on, and when he gets home he can suspend the service.

Anyone else here use anything like this?

On the side note he won't leave home on a road trip without it.  And he now also uses a Leatt STX Jason Britton Road Neck Brace, he convinced that if he had it on that he would not have crushed one of his vertebra's in his neck. And that brace is a lot cheaper that his deductible.

Any thoughts ...?

Cheers
Ron

I'm very interested in your replies. My wife and I were riding Saturday up in NC and it crossed my mind that  no one knew where we were. Not a little unsettling in the least.
Ron

I looked into the inreach just last week  I didn't like their pricing plans, but it has more features if that is what you prefer. 

I ended up upgrading from the SPOT-1 to the SPOT-3.  I has tracking / OK-message / Custom Message / Send Help Message / and then it has the SOS/911 button.  Not as many features, but they also sell the extra insurance.  I also know some ironbutt riders who carry supplemental EMS/LifeFlight type insurance:  https://medjetassist.com/personal-air-medical-transport/motorcycle-membership

I do not carry the insurance currently, mostly because I don't ride too far off the grid, but If/when I do have the time to get 'way out there' it will be something I consider.  Not sure how it compares with the stuff that SPOT sells.

Good Luck!

Brian said:
Check out the SPOT .... http://www.findmespot.com/en/

I carry it with me attached to my riding jacket within reach of both of hands.

Thanks Brian, Spot Gen-3 is one I'm looking at also

MizzouMike said:
I looked into the inreach just last week  I didn't like their pricing plans, but it has more features if that is what you prefer. 

I ended up upgrading from the SPOT-1 to the SPOT-3.  I has tracking / OK-message / Custom Message / Send Help Message / and then it has the SOS/911 button.  Not as many features, but they also sell the extra insurance.  I also know some ironbutt riders who carry supplemental EMS/LifeFlight type insurance:  https://medjetassist.com/personal-air-medical-transport/motorcycle-membership

I do not carry the insurance currently, mostly because I don't ride too far off the grid, but If/when I do have the time to get 'way out there' it will be something I consider.  Not sure how it compares with the stuff that SPOT sells.

Good Luck!

Thank for the input MizzouMike, for my needs the Spot might be what I'm getting. Also thanks for the insurance link.
I found this one too, that might suit my needs better and lighter on my pocket. GEOS SAR (Search And Rescue) and GEOS Medivac coverage, both of which are relatively inexpensive.

http://www.geosalliance.com/geos-services/worldwide-medical-evacuation/ and

http://www.geosalliance.com/geos-services/worldwide-search-and-rescue/

Cheers
Ron

Ifyou can wait to buy and plan on attending any of the International Motorcycle Show over this winter you may be able to get a deal.

SPOT had a booth at the Minneapolis show and was offering a special where if you paid for a year of service you got the GEN3 Spot Tracker for free.

I don't know if they will be offering it this year but it might be worth waiting to see.

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/

SAS Mayhem said:

Thanks for the link Ron. Not a surprise, as no system is going to send the cavalry at light speed short of a direct voice call to a dispatcher.

I highly recommend the Spot 3 over the earlier versions. Mine has been running on the same batteries for over 30 days of touring. And I do carry a first aid kit designed for light trauma care and splinting. First for me, and then for you if the need rises. All serious motorcyclists should receive some form of first aid training. Self aid and knowing how to treat your family are a priority for me.

Where to carry the Spot is another debate. Crash and bike ends up 50 feet down the hill... And then you have to expect someone to monitor your progress, or lack of, to pinpoint your last known location. This can get sticky, but you get the idea. I also wear a Road ID so they know where to send the body. That's kind of a joke, but seriously, the Road ID has vital data to expedite treatment and identification if you are a solo rider. But then again, do your rider friends know what meds you take? Your last serious episodic event or surgery? Allergies?

+100 

I really appreciate the insight of the first hand experience from the other forum!  I also have been thinking about spot placement.  Currently I use it on the bike, but I am considering alternate placement onto my person, especially for that reason.  I am sure it will be situationally dependent.

Brian said:
Check out the SPOT .... http://www.findmespot.com/en/

I carry it with me attached to my riding jacket within reach of both of hands.

me too, have used it for years. I keep it on me using a cell phone exercise strap on my forearm. Because if I do crash it stays with me and not on the bike. I had a friend crash and his bike went over an embankment and he ended up in the ditch. In that scenario he would never been able to reach it due to his injuries if it was mounted on the bike, yes the SPOT has a RAM mount to do just that! Bad idea!. He was with others and not solo. I have read to many stories where someone disappears and they find them later dead. Recently on the Columbia River a solo rider went off the road and down a hill, he could not climb up the hill and stayed there for over 24+ hours still someone noticed his bike on the side of the road. He was out of cell phone coverage also, and the people that found him had to drive 20 minutes to reach cell to dial 911. the SPOT is satellite based and works in this type of event.
On trips in the car I have started to carry it also just in case.

I also have a LifeFlight membership just in case I need an evac in a remote area.  :beerchug:

handyman said:
SAS Mayhem said:

Thanks for the link Ron. Not a surprise, as no system is going to send the cavalry at light speed short of a direct voice call to a dispatcher.

I highly recommend the Spot 3 over the earlier versions. Mine has been running on the same batteries for over 30 days of touring. And I do carry a first aid kit designed for light trauma care and splinting. First for me, and then for you if the need rises. All serious motorcyclists should receive some form of first aid training. Self aid and knowing how to treat your family are a priority for me.

Where to carry the Spot is another debate. Crash and bike ends up 50 feet down the hill... And then you have to expect someone to monitor your progress, or lack of, to pinpoint your last known location. This can get sticky, but you get the idea. I also wear a Road ID so they know where to send the body. That's kind of a joke, but seriously, the Road ID has vital data to expedite treatment and identification if you are a solo rider. But then again, do your rider friends know what meds you take? Your last serious episodic event or surgery? Allergies?

Me too, have all my medical info and even pictures of my ID and ins cards and other info loaded on a small waterproof USB stick. I have it attached to a 3x5 card with a big red ICE written on it. In case of Emergency!!!

The SPOT has a several areas that you can pre-program messages and info. If I had to press SOS the message 911 gets is all my medical info, type of bike I am on, blood type, life-flight info, all my personal contacts.

When I do travel solo I always send my SPOT Share page to all family and friends so they can keep track of my position.

I have personal experience with Spot GEN 3 and GEOS.

I had a low side in the far reaches of Sequoia National Park.  Bike was not ridable and I was pretty banged up. 

No cell service for miles.

Used my SPOT to activate SOS. 

GEOS contacted CHP -    CHP indicated they were more than 3 hours away and handed the call to County Sheriff.  County Sheriff indicated they were more than 2 and half hours away, they would respond but also dispatched the call to Cal Fire.    CDF received the dispatch from Sheriff minus the GPS co-ordinates provided by GEOS.  CDF dispatched Helicopter to search for the location and also dispatched fire truck and ambulance.

First responders arrived on scene about 2 hours and 20 minutes from the initial SOS call.  This is inline with the estimate from the Sheriff's initial estimation.    CDF helicopter was heard and seen in the distance,  however they never found the location as they were looking in a distant canyon. 

When the Sheriff arrived,  he indicated they dont come out this far unless required as there is no radio signal or cell service out that far. 

My take away:

SPOT/GEOS did exactly as they should have.  They received the SOS from the device,  they contacted my emergency contact and provided the dispatch with the GPS co-ordinates to the CHP.    What transpired from there was not the fault of GEOS,  It was inter-agency miscommunication not providing CDF with the information.

At the end of the day,  first responders did arrive in the time frame estimated,  and I was very happy to have the Spot and continue to use it every time I am out riding.  I encourage others to have a device like Spot or one of the others. 

Great Story!  One question, did they send you a bill for the rescue?  They seem to be also marketing their rescue insurance, so I was always curious if it was necessary.

ThrottleUp said:
I have personal experience with Spot GEN 3 and GEOS.

I had a low side in the far reaches of Sequoia National Park.  Bike was not ridable and I was pretty banged up. 

No cell service for miles.

Used my SPOT to activate SOS. 

GEOS contacted CHP -    CHP indicated they were more than 3 hours away and handed the call to County Sheriff.  County Sheriff indicated they were more than 2 and half hours away, they would respond but also dispatched the call to Cal Fire.    CDF received the dispatch from Sheriff minus the GPS co-ordinates provided by GEOS.  CDF dispatched Helicopter to search for the location and also dispatched fire truck and ambulance.

First responders arrived on scene about 2 hours and 20 minutes from the initial SOS call.  This is inline with the estimate from the Sheriff's initial estimation.    CDF helicopter was heard and seen in the distance,  however they never found the location as they were looking in a distant canyon. 

When the Sheriff arrived,  he indicated they dont come out this far unless required as there is no radio signal or cell service out that far. 

My take away:

SPOT/GEOS did exactly as they should have.  They received the SOS from the device,  they contacted my emergency contact and provided the dispatch with the GPS co-ordinates to the CHP.    What transpired from there was not the fault of GEOS,  It was inter-agency miscommunication not providing CDF with the information.

At the end of the day,  first responders did arrive in the time frame estimated,  and I was very happy to have the Spot and continue to use it every time I am out riding.  I encourage others to have a device like Spot or one of the others.

No bill from Spot/GEOS

Bill from county ambulance service  $150 which was covered by insurance co
Bill from towing co  -  $1700  covered by insurance co

Rescue insurance  ( lifeflight/helicopter ) in my opinion is very much needed.    In most motorcycle related incidents that occur outside city limits  ( where we normally like to ride )    the standard practice is to dispatch lifeflight for all motorcycle accidents.  Lifeflight costs are exorbitant and will leave you with a high bill even after vehicle and/or medical insurance pays its portion.       

Coverage can be obtained in conjunction with SPOT or on your own.  If you ride,  I recommend having coverage.  Its not expensive and is worth it in the event you use it.

MizzouMike said:
Great Info...  Thanks again for sharing!

Another thing I forgot to mention which is worth mentioning.

I subscribe to an insurance policy from All State,  it a Voluntary Accident Benefit policy that costs me about $200 a year,  but it provides coverage in the event of an accident or injury.    In brief,  the policy provides a schedule of benefits that are paid for accidents outcomes such as:

$3600 for air ambulance
$1200 for ground ambulance
$300 for lacerations
$900 for out patient service
$1,200 per day for hospital confinement
$2,400 per day for ICU hospital confinement
$12,000 for dislocation/fracture
$300,000 for dismemberment  ( maximum - this is prorated based on the dismemberment limb(s) affected )
$150,000 for death
Skin Graft benefit ( 50% of cost )
$180 per day rehab benefit
$3,750  Tendon, Ligament, Rotator Cuff or Knee surgery Benefit
$1800 for blood and plasma
$600 for general anesthetic
and much more..  the schedule is pretty long and involved.     

These benefits help offset the medical deductibles incurred not covered by your normal HMO/PPO type health insurance,  they help bridge the gap between your insurance and your out of pocket expenses.  They also help you with recovery and bridge some gap with short term and long term disability insurance offered through most employer benefit plans.

In my view,  $200 a year is well worth it for people like me who ride a lot of miles each year.  I would rather spend money on insurance and not on farkles.  Well,  I spend on both  :)

Hope this helps

I know what I want for Christmas. Rock and I used his as we drove to Cortez last year from Atlanta. It  was so cool. We'd cross a state line and my wife would text us "Welcome to Alabama" or wherever, from back home where she was watching us drive cross country. Neat technology.