• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Group rides at the 2018 National

jim snyder

Ok gang we are only about 3 weeks away from the 2018 National in Kerrville Texas. Our group rides will be scheduled on Monday & Tuesday mornings. Information will be available at check in and sign up for the group rides will be available there also. A list of the groups and routes
will be posted in the hospitality room each day. We have several nice routes planned which have been posted to the rally page. So check them out and see if you see something you like. See you in South Texas on June 10th.

giphy.gif

My guess is most riders willing to go all the way to central Texas for the rally don't really need to be lead around.  But some may prefer it.  If you remove it there will be someone feeling left out though.  I just would expect small groups.

smithr1 said:
My guess is most riders willing to go all the way to central Texas for the rally don't really need to be lead around.  But some may prefer it.  If you remove it there will be someone feeling left out though.  I just would expect small groups.

Actually we have had a significant number of attendees that have selected to participate.  More than I expected.

The focus of the group rides are to bring folks together both new and old.  From my past experience at rallies, there are a number of attendees that are new members, or maybe long time members but this may be their first event.  They don't know anyone, and all of us know, with the exception of Ted, most are uncomfortable with just approaching folks and asking to ride with them.  One of the purpose of the group rides is to remove the awkwardness of meeting new folks and having to ask to ride with them. 

Group rides are not for everyone.  If you rather ride alone, then group rides are not for you.  If you want ride to see how small you can get your chicken strip, then group rides are not for you.  If you want to meet and ride with some new folks at a moderate scenic pace and hopefully have a great time, then maybe the group rides are for you.

For me the main purpose for attending rallies and events is to meet new riders and to socialize.  Riding to me is secondary at these events.  I can go ride on my own anytime I want.

At least that is my opinion.

We know that folks don't like to ride in large groups.
So, I'll add that these groups are targeted to be approx. 5 riders.
ie; They won't be a parade..

Ride safe, Ted

I volunteered to lead a group ride. Come play with the Old Man. We'll have fun. Ride your ride, Ride your speed. It's all good. As long as we make it back in time for the Ice Cream social!  :)

Anyone who has ever gone on a group ride with me can tell you it's not a parade. We have fun, always find the best roads, and most importantly we always find a good place to eat.

I've been on many group rides. Many for benefit, others for fellowship with our CMA chapter. Those rides are NOT for the ride, but for the time spent with friends.
COG group rides are different.
Typically you ride staggered when in traffic and on straight roads. As soon as the roads get interesting, the string stretches, and everyone rides their ride, having fun while riding, not having to worry about someone coming up beside them.
When you arrive at the end-point, or a mid-point, there's the great fellowship. They are the best of both worlds.
I'm looking forward to some more!

Jorge said:
I've been on many group rides. Many for benefit, others for fellowship with our CMA chapter. Those rides are NOT for the ride, but for the time spent with friends.
COG group rides are different.
Typically you ride staggered when in traffic and on straight roads. As soon as the roads get interesting, the string stretches, and everyone rides their ride, having fun while riding, not having to worry about someone coming up beside them.
When you arrive at the end-point, or a mid-point, there's the great fellowship. They are the best of both worlds.
I'm looking forward to some more!

Jorge that is an excellent description of how COGers do it. We keep track of our group, we don't run off and leave folks, and most of all we have fun and good comraderie.

Yahooo.
By the way, if anyone else is interested we could use a few others to lead small groups.
Routes etc will be provided..

Even first timers could do it. It's a great way to get to know others.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Yahooo.
By the way, if anyone else is interested we could use a few others to lead small groups.

Ride safe, Ted

Just don't give me Crabapple Loop Road.  :eek:

I need something that I can read off a physical (e.g. Butler) map and not something that requires a GPS or local knowledge. :truce:

I'm looking forward to it.

:great:

CaffeineMan said:
connie_rider said:
Yahooo.

Ride safe, Ted

I need something that I can read off a physical (e.g. Butler) map and not something that requires a GPS or local knowledge. :truce:

You and your group will decide the route, and since you are the navigator.......I guess I really don't need to finish that sentence.    :))

Seriously, I would suggest doing one the Sisters routes.

fred-houston said:
CaffeineMan said:

You and your group will decide the route, and since you are the navigator.......I guess I really don't need to finish that sentence.    :))

Seriously, I would suggest doing one the Sisters routes.

Precisely what I was thinking...

I'm gonna have participation trophies for my group. A small memory memento. Except for Ted. Ted I'll just imbibe with.  ;)

Old Man on a Connie said:
I'm gonna have participation trophies for my group. A small memory memento. Except for Ted. Ted I'll just imbibe with.  ;)
Count me in, then! On the imbibing, at least. :)

Ok, ya buncha smarty elecks..
Now, I gotta go figure out what "Imbibing" is.
                      :41:
  {Somehow, I suspect,,,,  I ain't gonna like it..}

Ride safe, Ted

Time passes,,

More time passes,,,,

still passing gas err time,,,,,

almost there,,,,,

getting closer,,,,,,

ZZzzzzzzzzz,,,,,

Success,,,,,,          Ohh,, now I understand.... "I LIKE IT"!!!

Looking forward to all the fun.  Hope the rides start early before the real heat of the day begins.  Heading out from Colorado on Saturday.

Fast Lane said:
Looking forward to all the fun.  Hope the rides start early before the real heat of the day begins.  Heading out from Colorado on Saturday.

Yes we are planning on moving start times earlier to avoid the heat if needed.

Like Jim stated we plan to have early starts.  Meeting for the group rides will be at 7:30 am and hopefully everyone will be out and riding by 8.

Well I rode one of the Sisters (335) on my way into  Fredericksburg yesterday!  A sweet road!  Glad I rode it, now I have a much better feel for when I go out on a group ride.

I'm staying in Fredericksburg until Sunday, so I tried out a large portion of the Country Lane Ramble.  Started at RR 2093 and ended at Backwoods BBQ for lunch.

A very pleasant scenic ride.  80 miles or so took about 3 hours with no stops.  Like it sounds, it was a lot of 30-40 mph stuff.  Lots of good views and idyllic countryside.  Plenty of cattle guards and blind corners so this is not a speed run (for me)

I could lead this one as well.  Roads are all on my Butler map and streets are well marked.

connie_rider said:
Brian, sounds like your getting them figured out.
We'll be there with you, sometimes tomorrow afternoon.

Ride safe, Ted

I'm spending the night in San Antonio, will be at the Y.O. about 1pm.