• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

handlebar buzz, what to do?

charley

Tricycle
Tuesday I put 350 miles on my new to me 1998 Connie. Charlotte NC to Durham and back. All slabway, but did have open road in posted 70mph zones... 30 hours later I still have some numbness in my right hand. I see there are Murphy after market solutions. Other choices? Or do the balancers really work and worth the money? Or is this pointing to other issues I need to address? Charley

There are lots of things that you can do to the bike that might work for you. One thing that won't cost you anything is to try to remind youself to not grip the handlebars so tightly. I guess the biggest question is do you have a problem with either or both of your hands (numbness, tingling, blood flow, etc.)? Does it happen when you are actively using them and/or while at rest. You might want to get a physical therapist/doctor to aassess your arms to make sure you aren't coming down w/ Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. This doesn't always lead to surgery though. They might get you to do some streches, wear a brace, etc. to see if this relieves the pressure on the nerve in your hand. Give it a shot. You only get one set of hands.

Carb sync and general state of tune has a lot to do with this. I also ride a Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC twin. I don't think it has a balancer, and it bolts right to the frame. The bike vibrates a lot at certain speeds but not at cruising speeds. It has the big Kuryakan Pillow Grips and palm paddles so I don't grip the bars tightly. I'm not sure if this would work on the Conk but it's an option. Some folks use the big foam grips which are helpful. The only bike I ever owned that did not buzz at all was a Suzuki V-4... David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

Many inline 4 engines are inherently buzzy, especially when it is a stressed member of the frame. Over the years COG members have shared tips & tricks to help manage the buzz. As already mentioned, surprisingly many folks have found relief by relaxing their grip on the handlebars. Some mechanical things to do that may help manage the buzz... (IIRC, Best of Chalkdust covers some of these things) Valves correctly adjusted Carbs sync'd Counter balanced adjustment (per BOC) Engine mount bolt re-torque HTH -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Especially when it comes to getting pushed around on the road, but also for buzz as has been mentioned before, try to let loose with the kung fu grip. It's a new to you bike and so you're not an old hand with her like you'll be in 6 months or so and everyone tends to hold on with all their might. Once they relax that grip though, she settles down and you'll find she's a very smooth lady. You might even think she's a bit too smooth when you notice the speedo's crept into 3 digits w/o you realizing it. :) Getting new grips is a good cheap solution, carb sync with the valve adjust is a necessity and will make an amazing and immediate difference in the way she runs. (I have a Morgan Carbtune and I live in Winston if you need to borrow it. I also have the necessary spanner for steering head adjustment.) I've also heard the very clever idea of filling your bars with lead shot but buzz really hasn't been an issue for me so I've never gotten around to it. My grips are worn though so it's time to start thinking about them. How many miles do you have on her? I think I remember having read a post where you said but I don't remember what the number was.

Try the grips murphs sells. They are not large, but truly do help. You might try different gloves too. I've found that some gloves are much better than others. I have a hard time finding gloves that fit my fat hands and short fingers, but when I do they make a huge difference. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Counter balance adjustment is not a recommended thing to do anymore. It never effected the buzz in the first place. It is a fix that has been proven ineffective. Good tune up, check for broken motor mount bolts, loose grip and gel gloves are the top fixes in my book. After that you start into re torquing the motor mounts, adding shot to bars and other hopes. Some Concours just buzz more then others. My third/current one is worse then the first two no matter what I do but not so bad my hands tingle. Photos[/url]

It gave me fits too at first, to the point that my first month or so, I couldn't commute more than 3 days straight (100 miles RT) because my wrists would ache. I'm 8 months in and no longer have an issue. My changes so far: - Replaced a missing motor mount (though never torqued it, so that's now on my list) - Got used to the bike a bit and released my death grip - Learned where in the revs the vibration lives and now try to avoid spending too much time there - Bought some gel gloves (jury is still out on whether they help or just help me feel good about spending the $$$) - Gave my 45-yr-old self time to adjust to the punishment

Charley, you might try installing some bar risers If you don't already have them. Or use a bar adapter so you can install regular tubular handlebars. If the tingling is lasting that long, it is more likely to be caused by pressure on the nerves rather than vibration. Raising the bars will take weight off of your wrists and should provide some relief. Good luck. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

I find that if I ride with my right arm straight, my hand always goes numb. If I keep my elbow bent, my hand does not seem to go numb. On longer rides, I also use one of those Caterpillar O-rings on my throttle grip and this allows me to take my right hand off for a while to shake it or whatever to get the blood circulating again. I am sure cruise control would allow you to do the same.

Handle bar risers made all the difference for me. I'm at a more comfortable stance but most importantly my weight is off my hands so the buzz is gone. Also I use a throttle meister throttle flap that allows me to use the bottom of my hand to apply pressure to the throttle instead of hanging on to it by my fingers (very inexpensive). I find it also helps maintain a specific speed with greater ease. Many people talk about the great advantages of a throttle lock type of cruise control and I've even seen a guy just pull an o-ring between his throttle grip and the box it comes out of (a red green type of cruise controle). Over all, as long as she's running normal (carbs are fine), the first thing I'd do is add handle bar risers. Just love 'em.

I have had mine Connie since January and at first my hand would tingle and get numb but I have to agree that I was gripping to tight. Now I only do this in tight situations - rush hour traffic plus I have ridden with out gloves for the last month as they have been misplaced. So I think you should give it another month and then try the cheapest first - grips and gloves - I have Murphs grips and I am going to get some light weight gel gloves for summer and if they help I will get some winter gels. C K Roach Jr CDA# 0319 you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

I bought my Connie 06 with 2.6K miles on her. Her previous owner said he never noticed any vibration and after a short test ride it seemed fine. After the first full hour of riding her, I though I was going to have to get something else! There is a ton of information about this issue on the "outlaw" Concoursdotorg site (is it somewhere here too maybe?). First was "advised" I had a death grip, it was something with my riding style etc... but then I added a Murphs buzz kit (bar ends and grips) and adjusted the counter balancer correctly and it fixed the buzz completely!!! Now I hardly notice any vibration at all with lots of miles (well not lots, about 11K now)!... Also after one REALLY long day of riding, I did buy a cramp buster for the throttle hand, and that helped a lot as well, but be careful because it can make the throttle not return properly!!!! My 2 cents...

I tried the cramp buster too and found that I didn't like it. The "cat cruz control" works pretty good and is only about $7 at your local Caterpillar dealer. It is a yellow "o" ring that sets on the bar end weight when not in use and you roll it on to the groove between the grip and the weight when you want to rest your hand for a moment. NOT IN TRAFFIC. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Have a new to me Connie '03 ~ Have put about 2k on it so far ~ Pretty hot behind that windshield ~ Have been motorcycling for about 45 years . Wow ~ all these suggestions are valid ~ a last foot note would be to cut down your shield so that the wind blast helps to lift some of your weight off the bars . . After all it is summer :)

Reduce the reciprocating mass by fitting ZX10B rods and ZRX11 pistons, you get a 1052cc engine, more power and less buzz :) It also keeps you away from the better half for a few weekends LoL

Interesting suggestion Jeff. Going along with other comments about getting more comfortable with her, bending your elbows and easing up on the grips. I have to agree and would also like to state that when doing so, along with countersteering, Connie feels much lighter in the corners at lower speeds. Dare I say even normal. And One of the other important ones mentioned is the rpm. Around 5000 rpm is where you'll likely feel it. So speed up, slow down, or change gears. On a completely different note, I'm just loving the extra heat she gives up here in Saskatchewan. There's only a week or two that it begins to become irritating, and now I have hwy pegs so problem solved. Man I love my bike! :))