• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Has Anybody used a Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact Tire?

Ahh, now I follow you.  Apparently I'll be the first to use the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact Tire.

I currently have a ME-888 (bias ply) on the rear and a Avon Storm (radial) on the front.
The Storm is worn out and need a replacement.
Decided to put the Metzler on the front.
  Like the look's of the tread, advertising sounds good, and decided to go Metzeler front/rear.

Haven't ordered the tire yet. Was hoping to hear comments about it from others..

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, I ran the Metzler Z6's on my C-10 when I did the 17" conversion and they handled great. I would see no problem with the Z8 but I would definitely consider putting on a set and getting rid of that 880. 

They seem to be a good tire, and in my experience, they are better than the Roadtec 01.  The only really big negative that has come up in other forums, is the wear down the center.  In the morning, you think you're good.  In the afternoon, you're not sure your can make it home.

This picture shows a little of what I'm talking about.

tyreview-225x300.jpg

Chris

Hello

I bought a 190/55 rear Z8 for my C14 to replace a Mich PR4 that was squared off in 1500 miles. I immediately felt a great difference,but again was coming off a bad tire. Still running the mich front

I only have about 1000 miles on the Z8 and have nothing but good things to say. Overall like it better than the PR3 and PR4.. I will never go back to Mich- too many mediocre to negative experiences for an expensive tire.

The Z8 was on super discount because it was 4 years old. But I needed a new tire before leaving on a trip. I am trying Dunlop Q3+ next
because i wanted to previously. If they are not great , I will go back to Z8

Bottom line - I like the Z8 better than the multiple Michelin and Bridgestones i have run in the past

Thanks for the replies.
  Jim; They don't make a tire for the rear of my C-10.
          Just about given up finding a radial rear as the few available all seem to have problems.
  Daboo: "OMG",,,, that tire still has tread near the wear area..
              Does not seem to be ready to have cord showing in the middle.
                  Hopefully a front does better.
  Fix ur critter; The Z8 you had was 4 yrs old when you got it? I'll let you know how this one does...

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, if you want a good handling C-10 tire go with the Avon AM-26's. They are bias ply but you would never think so. You have followed me thru many a twisty when I ran those on the silverbullet.

I'll do that eventually. Hate to chunk an almost new tire.
  NOTE: This is a ME-888, not an 880.
            The 888 supposedly has better/softer rubber than a 880.

The C-10 is my spare bike that I *tinker with & lend to folks to ride occasionally. {It mostly sets}...
  ** This year I've installed a C-14 rear shock & lowering rocker, stiffened the front end {by cutting the springs},
                    raised the fluid level, and set spring sag on both ends.
                            Thinking on installing Emulators next.

Nephew rode it last and did a good job in the twisties.
  Front tire is now worn out, rear is nicely scuffed.
    If he continues to ride it, I'll also do the rear.
The reason I picked this front, is I want to see how it improves the handling.
Assuming it does: I'll then be able to see any improvement from a better a rear tire.

Ride safe, Ted

I finally decided to purchase the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact front Tire in a 110/80-18 size.

Before I purchased it, I realized that it is not shown on Bike bandit's site to be a radial so I did some more research.
Further reading shows it on their site as a multi-compound (Bias/Radial)??
See their advertisement; https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact-motorcycle-tire/p/30568
Other Suppliers show it as a 110/80ZR -18 and clearly say it is a radial.

But, I want it all: What I'm hoping for is a tire with radial handling that gets the mileage of a Bias Ply.
Will see what happens.  >:D

As I mentioned before, I have  Metzeler ME-888 on the rear.

Ride safe, Ted

The tire arrived VERY quickly.
Thought it might take awhile due to Thanksgiving time frame.
Got here 2 days after I ordered.  Well done Bike Bandit!
It is a 110/80ZR-18.

I sent Metzler a note asking if it is also a dual compound. No reply.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
The tire arrived VERY quickly.
Thought it might take awhile due to Thanksgiving time frame.
Got here 2 days after I ordered.  Well done Bike Bandit!
It is a 110/80ZR-18.

I sent Metzler a note asking if it is also a dual compound. No reply.

Ride safe, Ted

Hiya Ted. A tire that has dual compound is referring to the tread, not the carcass construction. A dual compound tire will have a softer, grippyer tread on the edges and a longer wearing strip in the middle.

:beerchug:

Thanks Steve. I agree...
On the Bike bandit site it specifies that the O and M spec tires are bi-compound.
It does not say that the other sizes are also bi-compound.
Metzler's site also seems to say this....

We're trying to determine if the other sizes are also bi-compound. So, I sent a note to Metz and asked..

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact-motorcycle-tire/p/30568

Features
•MAW (Metzeler Advanced Winding) technology
•The profile shape, inspired by the Greek letter "Pi", maximizes the flexibility of the profile, thus ensuring an optimum tire footprint under in all conditions
•The 3-zone-tension Interact ™ Technology gives outstanding mileage and sporty cornering grip
•Multi Zone Tension technology, new updated tread profiles and functional tread pattern place the Z8 Roadtec Interact at the top of the sport touring tire class
•M-Spec and O-Spec tires feature a bi-compound design

Ride safe, Ted

Hopefully I'll get the tire on and tested in the coming weeks.
They now offer a new tire. Think it's a M1.
I preferred the Tread pattern of the Z8.

Ride safe, Ted

Update: I just got off the phone with Bike Bandit.
            They say this tire "is" dual compound.