• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Has anyone installed a BestEm Carbon Fiber Front Fender on their C14?

gilbysan

Hey all,
BestEm, in addition to making the really nice bag liners for Connies has a division that makes some really nice CF components for bikes. They have a ZX14 CF front fender that is an almost exact copy of the C14s fender.  Has anyone installed one on their C14 and if so, how is it holding up?
https://bestemusa.com/Kawasaki-ZX14-2006-2018-100-Carbon-Fiber-Front-Fender-Mudguard-Hugger_p_484.html
I noted when looking at their photos that the front fender covers (those little black finned parts that fasten to the fender are molded as part of the fender and, there seems to be an empty space behind/between the part that wraps around the fork tube and the rear of the fender whereby on the C14 fender it is solid ABS. I am not too concerned because the rear part of the fender mounts to the brackets that hold the fork tubes and disc brakes calipers, but thought I should make sure, AMAP.

So, when adding one of Blue One's excellent fender extenders, I just wanted to make sure that it will hold it properly, etc.
Appreciate any feedback from the Community.
Thanks!
Gilbysan

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 106
I held a ZX-14 and the C-14 fenders side by side and claim them to be identical. I cut up the ZX fender and made my own extender. Several years ago I helped a friend install a CF fender on his Hayabusa. A couple of months later on a back road romp a bird or rock or ? kicked up and shattered his 200 buck jewelry item. When i installed them I did not note a significant weight loss, so it was just a slightly expensive lesson for him.

Thanks ZX!  Yeah, that had to hurt.  In my case the fender and bike are custom painted so if I go with a factory fender I will have to get it painted to match the rest of the bike.  If CF, then no worries and when I compare the cost of a factory fender, painted to the CF version and no paint the CF version comes out cheaper, (by a significant amount), although there is that small thing about not matching the rest of the paint, but since I cannot see it maybe it does not matter...
The fender that is on now has several stress cracks around where the Denali lights mount and I have reinforced it with thin strips of ABS glued on the underside to keep it working but I know that eventually it will give out and show some major cracks in the paint and weaken the over structure of the fender. It gets enough abuse as it is with all the crap that hits it from the road, like all the sand we placed on the roads for the recent snow, etc.

Again, Thanks!
Gilbysan