• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

head ache from helmet?

I've never dealt with this before.  But any one deal with the front of their helmet squeezing the holy crap out of their forehead?  Just above my eyebrows, after wearing for a couple of hours, my forehead gets really sore.  Never had this happen before.  The fit of the helmet is great.  But that gets sore over time.
Is there a fix for this?  Is it a helmet shape thing?  DO I HAVE AN EGG HEAD!  :mad:  lol.

Seriously, is there a way to force the front to give more to relieve pressure?  When I take my helmet off, looks like I have a bar code across my forehead!

thx.

Graphicjunkie said:
Is it a helmet shape thing?
Short answer: yes

Longer answer: Yes, as different helmet manufactures have different shapes. You'll need to try several different brands and models to figure out which one works best for you.

As has been stated. Some are round and some are egg shaped. All cheap helmets suck.

Go try on a Shoei (lower cost), ARAI (mid cost), and a Shuberth (Spendy).

Once you find the brand with the right shape for your head you will know it instantly.
I wore HJC helmets for years. I will never wear one again. My next Dual Sport helmet will be an Arai. That thing fit like a dream.

I have an HJC IS MAX 2 and, its not bad for a few hours, then I start to get some forehead pressure but near the top.  I press on the back of the helmet a bit and it relieves it.  But after a couple days of riding, my forehead is a bit sore.

I'll be looking at different brand in a couple years when I replace it, but so far its not bad enough to change .

you can take the back side of a spoon & reshape the forehead area a little by applying pressure against the spoon & sliding it back & forth. It's compresses the foam a little & can make a lot of difference  :beerchug:

I had an issue with a new Shoei RF1100 due to me egg head and I fixed it by removing the internal padding and using the curved side of a large metal spoon to form the frontal part of the helmet foam liner to tailor fit it to me head by pressing on it. It took a little work but my helmet fits perfectly now and I can wear it for hours now without an issue.

Yes, this has happened to me and it was from a helmet that was too round for my oval-ish head.  My 2 cts. is be cautious about spooning your helmet.  I think there are many who would strongly recommend you don't.

Zarticus said:
you can take the back side of a spoon & reshape the forehead area a little by applying pressure against the spoon & sliding it back & forth.  :beerchug:

Won't that cause a headache? :rotflmao:

Rather than compress that area with a spoon and reduce the shock absorbing capacity of that portion of the foam, you can take some foam off with very fine sandpaper. Still reduces protection slightly but Better than being compressed. Better still, find a better fit with a different helmet. Also, if you are a LD rider, a helmet you could otherwise wear all day in your recliner will start to press on your forehead due to wind pressure on the helmet. Raising your screen and riding behind it for awhile will take that pressure off.

I found the HJC helmets were better for an oval head like mine. Still had to do the spoon thing but very little and no problems. Two helmets like that. The Shoei is more for round heads as well as the Schuberth. At least the older Schuberth. Could not wear either.

DaddyFlip said:
Rather than compress that area with a spoon and reduce the shock absorbing capacity of that portion of the foam, you can take some foam off with very fine sandpaper. Still reduces protection slightly but Better than being compressed. Better still, find a better fit with a different helmet...

:iagree:

However, messing with the foam will definitely void the warranty and might reduce the helmet's protective abilities.

A good article that talks about different head shapes and gives some good info on which helmets fit which shape of head is WebBike World-Helmet's by Head Shape.

The attached gif illustrates what is meant by head shape..hth.

Attachments

• helmet-shape.gif
    helmet-shape.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 108
You could drive a little slower....might take the pressure off some.  :great:

Outside of that if you like the helmet a lot see if they have a smaller headpiece or smaller pads to replace.

I have an oval head, the majority of helmets are made to favor a round head.
Most helmets give me a hot spot on my forehead after about 90 minutes.
This is to the point of wanting to take the helmet off and throe it in the ditch by the side of the road.
So several years ago I went to the IMS in Chicago to look for a new helmet.
I tried on every brand and model of helmet there, bound a determined to find a helmet I could wear.
I do not to open face or flip ups, so focused on full face only.
Found the Arai Signet Q to fit perfectly, as it turns out this is the longest oval helmet made.
After getting it did a 4 hour test wear, rode and never to took the helmet of even a gas stops.
Never figured on buying a helmet for 500 bucks, but if can wear it all day with no hot spots well worth it.

Keep in mind, even within a brand, different models fit different head shapes better.  :truce:

Just because one brand model fits your skull perfectly doesn't mean all their models will.

You need to know your head shape and then do some research at the links provided in various posts above.

Buy a helmet from a place that has a good exchange policy (for unriden helmets, if you ride with it, has bug splats, they won't take it back) - then sit an watch at least an hour+ of TV with it strapped on. Any pain or discomfort at all, try something else (size, model, brand). Cause an hour on the couch ain't nothing compared to an hour of riding (as mentioned above, air pressure, movement, temperature, etc)

I have read threads here speaking about oddly shaped heads.  In all the helmets I've owned, I've never had this issue.  So I figured it was more of a case for those people that were out side the norm.  But apparently not. 
This is on my brand new Kabuto Ibuki helmet.  I can't send it back now.  Sadly, I never felt the additional pressure on my forehead when trying on.  I didn't feel it until the first long ride, after hours of riding.  By then, I'm way past Revzilla's return policy. 

I like the sandpaper idea too.  I will give that a shot.  Thanks!

AlanS said:
I have an oval head, the majority of helmets are made to favor a round head.
Most helmets give me a hot spot on my forehead after about 90 minutes.
This is to the point of wanting to take the helmet off and throe it in the ditch by the side of the road.
So several years ago I went to the IMS in Chicago to look for a new helmet.
I tried on every brand and model of helmet there, bound a determined to find a helmet I could wear.
I do not to open face or flip ups, so focused on full face only.
Found the Arai Signet Q to fit perfectly, as it turns out this is the longest oval helmet made.
After getting it did a 4 hour test wear, rode and never to took the helmet of even a gas stops.
Never figured on buying a helmet for 500 bucks, but if can wear it all day with no hot spots well worth it.

I went with the Signet Q for the same reason.  I was lucky, though - the guys at The Helmet Center only let me try on two other helmets before they tossed the Signet Q at me.  I wore it in the store for about 20 minutes and almost forgot I had it on.
Picking a helmet is like choosing a bowling ball - the one that your buddy loves may be unusable for you.

I've used sandpaper and spoons in the past, but I also found that adding a piece of thin foam rubber about a millimetre or two thick across the front edge can ease the pressure. When I got the Shark Evoline it caused me severe headaches and it was then I discovered that I have a bump on my head just inside my hairline. I suspect that one of my parents may be Klingon.