• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Headed to the California Redwoods (Garberville)

greg.m784

Street Cruiser
:)

The better half & I are headed up the coast for her birthday this weekend.  I have the road plan laid out.  We've got a room in Garberville.  Looks liek there is lots to do in the area. i suspect we'll pull in early afternoon on Saturday. 

Any special locations we should shoot for?  We want to see the drive thru trees (south of Garberville), and take in a nice hike maybe.

Thanks for any tips/ideas!

SAMOA COOK HOUSE, SAMOA COOK HOUSE, SAMOA COOK HOUSE.
Great logging museum and a unique eating experience.  At least it was 20 years ago.

http://www.samoacookhouse.net/

Greg,

I don't know how much time you have, but if you have the time I recommend catching Hwy 1 at Leggett out to the coast and riding as much of the coast as possible.  The Avenue of the Giants is a nice ride, too, you could probably do that on your way in to Garberville.  There are some great motorcycle roads in the area, my wife and I took a trip last year up the coast and across to Garberville.  No matter what you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Exactly! we are picking up one on Sunday and coming home thru Fort Bragg, down the coast, and across somewhere around Santa Rosa probably. 

Thanks for the tips everyone, keep 'em coming!  8)

:motonoises:

Greg,

Are you planning on going all the way to Sac from Garberville by way of Hwy 1 on Sunday?  If so, how much does your better half like sitting on the bike?  ;D  I only ask because it would be the better part of a 300 mile trip, plus your average speed is not that high because of some slow sections on Hwy 1 due to twisties and traffic on a Sunday.  South of Jenner, especially, where it gets really windy, you get a lot of looky loos (who can blame them) and those afraid to go more than 20 miles per hour on the windy road.  We did Fort Bragg to Petaluma in a day, and with breaks for rest and food, it was a pretty long day.  Don't get me wrong, it was great, but we were glad to get to our hotel in Petaluma.  Just something to think about.

Slight change.  We will probably come back across 20 to 5 and home that way.  We'll leave up 5 to 16 to 20 then to N101 and up to Garberville, then pick up 1S down to Fort Bragg and come accross.

redwoods%20ride.JPG

GFinCA said:
Greg,

Are you planning on going all the way to Sac from Garberville by way of Hwy 1 on Sunday?  If so, how much does your better half like sitting on the bike?  ;D

She is good for around 350-375 a day.  Or 8 hours.  :))

If I were coming up here from Sac. I would go over hwy 20 to 101 then 20 out of Willits to Ft. Bragg then north to 101. Head north and spend the night in Fortuna or Eureka. If Eureka, you can meet us for dinner Sunday night. Then I would take hwy.36 west to hwy.3 north to hwy 299 east down into redding then its only two hours back to Sac on I5.  LOTS of fantastic twisties and mtn scenery on that ride. we do it all the time. send me an email if you want to meet up while up here.

312 miles on Saturday
266 miles on Sunday
578 miles for two days.

Good ride.  Non-eventful.  Glad to sit on a couch (for a couple hrs.