• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Heated grip question

sweetwater

Bicycle
OK, hope it isn't bad form, I posted this on ADV, got some good quick replies (some COG guys!) but I wanna throw it out here too:

OK, the BigBlueSquirt (MY2010) has the factory heated grips and they are in fact hotter than the BMW's...outstanding!

Here's the question: they get really hot and then seem to cool off for quite a bit and then heat up again. No biggie, and I read the owner's manual section advising they "cycle" some but I was wondering how much "cycling" you guys are experiencing. I guess I am used to ON or OFF; just making sure it isn't something unusual.

Thoughts?

Replies all agreed that no "cycling" is experienced...I also add these details:

Drat! I just pulled out the manual and it describes a "battery protection" on page 108, stating that grips may shut down in low speed and/or stop and go riding to protect battery. FWIW, I have simultaneously run 90watt liner off batt past couple rides. I am just kinda thinking this is what I'm experiencing: the battery protection thing that I describe as "cycling". Will have to see if I notice it more in town than on highway. Rides so far have been short and mix of city/highway.

Shouldn't be a big deal for the dealer to check, and if you guys don't experience this then I'm guessing she's got a lil' electrical issue. When I get around to it I will figure it out and give an update. In the mean time, I'm gonna ride!

So, if any of you tech gurus have an answer to soothe my worries, fire away! BTW, warranty is in full swing, so it'd be covered if not right.

Mine feels fairly steady here in FL at a frigid 59F. But seriously, only with a fancy PID controller (Proportional, Integral, Derivative), can you get a nice steady heat out of a strip heater, and I doubt they went through the expense to implement that.

Thanks for the replies! In truth, I probably wouldn't notice the "cycling" if I wore my winter gloves, but we haven't gotten that cold here yet. I started a morning ride Thanksgiving day at 30degrees and ended around 36/37degrees wearing single layer track gloves. I was comfy...

Of all the bikes I've owned, the Concours offers so much more weather protection. I even commented to a friend yesterday that my hands are in a small pocket of clean air actually slipstreaming behind the edges of the fairing (I don't know how they design these things, guessing it is a random stroke of luck and my ergonomics). That's better protection than any of my dual-sports with brush guards (even the GS).

Gotta tell ya, I love the heated grips.  Question...can foam grips be used w/ the heated grip option?

Bruce,

I'm using the BeemerBuddies SuperSharks and they're great. Heat comes right thru and they are darn near waterproof. Really improve the feel of the factory grips for me and the price is very good.

Thanks guys!  Unfortunately, no riding to be done right now, cuz my new '14 is in for some warranty work (small valve cover leak).  I hate dealers for any work...after having my bike for 2 weeks, I called them today, and they have yet to even take it apart.  Turns out they lost 3 technicians w/in the last few weeks, and Kaw America is sending them one to get this job done.  Grrrrrr!

Bruce, that is a bummer. Good luck getting back on the road.

This comment deserves it's own thread, but if the moto-industry really wanted lifelong riders, then they would stand ready to service bikes, especially bikes that are ridden regularly.

RANT::::: I had some extra time this summer and needed tyres to pass inspection on another bike: low and behold, no tyres even in stock (other than the set on the new model in showroom). Missed several days of good riding due to dealer inadequacy. Very unfortunate because it demonstrates a lack of commitment to customers who use the bike as a tool for everyday use and enjoyment. If I was an owner of a dealership, one of my big pushes would be automotive level service support, and I would advertise my ability to provide it ::::: end rant :::::

On other forums I have seen posts where owners put heating elements like Dual-Stars directly OVER the rubber grips and UNDER Grip Puppies.  This certainly sounds like a cheap and easy solution.  BTW, I have installed and used Dual-Stars (in the traditional under-the-grip manner) on several generations of bikes and have found them to be the best grip heating product out there, vastly superior to the vastly more expensive Hot Grips or other unitary heated grips including OEM.