• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helite Turtle Vest

I just got a Turtle Hi-Vis vest about a month ago. 

Only took about 3 days to get used to having it on .

Hope I never need it........

n3nman said:
I have a hit-air vest.  Love it. I think it flows air better then the Helite vest.

I have the same, friend has the turtle one. I like the Hit-Air because it flows air through it a lot better than the turtle.

On the Hit-Air, be sure to unlock the red plastic locking ring right below the CO2 canister. Otherwise it will not inflate. I read on another place the guys Hit Air never inflated and its either he did not know about the locking ring or his tether was at fault?

I always feel a twinge of guilt when I ride my bike.  I ask myself if I am just being selfish because my father and two of my three uncles have serious spinal cord injuries.  Plus my folks depend on me to help them as the eldest son. The last thing my mom needs is to have to take care of both me and my father with spinal cord injuries. Add to that with my having been raised Catholic it means I can feel guilty about darn near anything.  So, I saw the Helite Turtle Vest as my path to salvation. With it I think I can ride guilt free. I know that sounds stupid.  But it is the truth.

Mine came from Revzilla today, and I took my first ride with it.  I hardly noticed that I had it on.  Twice I attempted to get off the bike without remembering to unclip first.  The cord drew tight across my thigh and then I remembered that I had it on.  No explosions. I don't think I'll be riding without it.  I tied the lanyard to the rear tip over bars.  I will have to remember not to stand on the foot pegs to stretch on long rides.  That could be pretty embarrassing, and kind of dangerous, if it deployed at speed while I was standing.

hey guys....being a doubting Thomas, I'm kinda skeptical that this thing would provide much protection in a serious accident.  is there any good independent info about their performance?  I don't usually ride with back protection except on track, where I have a rigid back protector.  what's your thoughts?

I set my tether to be fully taught when I stand up straight on my bikes. That way I can stretch. It takes 64 pounds of pull to deploy the Hit-Air so even trying to walk away from the bike while still attached will not set it off.

I read this article about MC gear, it seems to more you think you are protected the more risks you will take. Its called risk compensation. I don't find myself riding any different with the vest for the last 2 years.

Friend went down last year and he had the Helite Turtle. Its scuffed up but still in working condition. He did a body slam low side right on his back.