• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello All~New member looking for a used Connie after a lot of research

nunia720

Hello Everybody, I am looking to get a Concourse and hoping for any and all suggestions. A little history I am a 45 year old guy who hadnt ridden in 20 years and picked up my first bike last season, 2003 Ninja 500. Got a crazy deal and wanted something reliable and forgiving. Perfect for that. I run w/ the Harley crowd can keep up w/ any of them if not beat them. But I am ready 2 move up and just love the reliability of the Ninja. It sat outside all Winter in Wisconsin along side my Brothers 2005 883 Sporster. Sporster has had nothing but issues while the Ninja has absolutley none. And get this, ...the Harley had a tarp and I choose 2 leave the Ninja uncoveed just to prove my point of reliability to my brother!!! (We lost our storage last minute, we did not intend on leaving either out all winter). Anyways I do not want a Rocket but I do want more power. After lots of research decided on trying to find a Connie. I'm ready for long road trips and I think its a perfect fit for me. Has bags, windshield, and a lot of creature comforts that Sports bike don't basically its based off the  Ninja platform so if it isn't what I'm looking for power wise I am pretty sure I can fix that with a few mods. I do my own maintenance as it is and it looks pretty straight forward 2 me.

I know, long winded, please bear w/me, your time is appreciated. So from what I can determine after my research is the Petcock and Computer are the only potential issues mechanically. Variability, seems some complain about being top heavy but I think I can fix that by half tanks of gas if I'm in town running errands and sh*t~fill up when I want to hit the highway!! Keep in mind I do only weigh 150 and I'm Six foot even, 45 male w/ a bad left knee. Anyways and suggestions and help would be awesome. I really like this bike and have hopes of becoming a long time member of this club. Thanks everyone

Welcome.

Read up on hydrolock.

BTW, the c-10 has no computer and the 14 has no petcock, so sorta confused. The big 2 issues on a c-10 are the J-box, easily fixable, and hydrolock, easily preventable, not easily fixed. Check out Shoodaben Engineering for hydrolock info and remedies. His sight has a lot of info on tuning mods for rideability and performance for both bikes.

nunia720 said:
Hello Everybody, I am looking to get a Concourse and hoping for... long road trips and I think its a perfect fit for me. Has bags, windshield, and a lot of creature comforts that Sports bike don't basically its based off the  Ninja platform so if it isn't what I'm looking for power wise I am pretty sure I can fix that with a few mods. I do my own maintenance...

I've had both the C10 and C14 (although I'm a bit of a geriatric newbie to either), but (in part) it depends on what you mean by "long road trips..."  As I'm sure your know the C10 has more fuel and generally uses less, so it has the longer legs... the C14 is a sport-tourer with more emphasis on "sport."  As for top heavy, the C10 feels more top-heavy than the C14, but with attention is not an issue even for me -- yes, it can drop (thankfully I've avoided) if you have the forks at an angle and hit the front brakes at walking speed, but as soon as you are at 15-20mph, it has no bad habits -- I enjoy the heck out of my C14 (but am somewhat north of 70 -- and admittedly leave a lot of the performance on the table), but the C10 may have been a better all-weather, long-legged bike -- given their market prices, either is a bargain -- otherwise ditto SteveJ

Thank you both. I did mean the Jbox not computer on the C-10. As far as the C-14 goes, I doubt I will find one in my budget. I was unaware of the hydrolock issue so I certainly appreciate the heads up!!

nunia720, I think you'll be happier with a C-14.
If you had a 2003 Ninja {You didn't post the size?}, the C-10 may have less power/more torque.
A C-14 will have both power an torque. Plus much newer technology and no hydrolock.

NOTE: I'm not a naysayer on the C-10. I've had 3 and still have 1.

Ride safe, Ted

So the one I was looking at fell thru, this is the best I got going on right now~~https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/630203224183020/
It is a two hour ride from me and all the info I have gotten out of the guy is it is a 1986, he is third owner and got it last year. Doesn't really know anything except that he drove it last season for 6 thousand miles and had no issues. Plus he claims everything that's been done to it is in the owners manuel as far as receipts for maintenance and all that jazz but wont tell me said info......I have been pressing him for info seeing as it is a 2 hour drive and his ad doesn't even disclose what year it is. He did end up answering that finally but said it was a 1985.....as far as I know they started being made in 86 and I told him so. Response was that was a typo...it is a 86. What you all think? Worth the ride??? $1500 is about what I am working with.

nunia720 said:
So the one I was looking at fell thru, this is the best I got going on right now~~https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/630203224183020/
It is a two hour ride from me and all the info I have gotten out of the guy is it is a 1986, he is third owner and got it last year. Doesn't really know anything except that he drove it last season for 6 thousand miles and had no issues. Plus he claims everything that's been done to it is in the owners manuel as far as receipts for maintenance and all that jazz but wont tell me said info......I have been pressing him for info seeing as it is a 2 hour drive and his ad doesn't even disclose what year it is. He did end up answering that finally but said it was a 1985.....as far as I know they started being made in 86 and I told him so. Response was that was a typo...it is a 86. What you all think? Worth the ride??? $1500 is about what I am working with.

I personally would not buy an '86 unless there is proof that the valves were replaced. There was an issue that year that lead to the valves tuliping into the head, often before 100k miles.

I wouldn't buy any c-10 without doing a hydrolock test.

nunia720 said:
1500 is about what I am working with.

$1500 will certainly get you a C10, but as SteveJ implies -- its individual history is everything... generally for that price you should be able to get one of the later C10s, and (I may be suffering form geriatric memory), the `86s had smaller forks than the later ones... The downside of the C10s is they are getting a tad rarer (but not rare), so you have to wait for the opportunity rather than just picking a target... I was pleased with mine (for about in your price), but had waited for almost six months before I saw it and then jumped on it and had it home shortly after... I was naive enough not to do the hydrolock test -- indeed at the time, I'd never heard of it and had looked at C10s off and on for many years while riding other bikes...

My experience with my C10 was good all around and rode it for about 3500 happy miles, but candidly, except for drizzly-yucky days where the C10 excels, I enjoy the C14 more -- depending on your end-use, the C14 tank-on-tank mileage is 200 miles+ without getting into "reserve," and for these old bones that is about all I need before I need a moment to stretch my legs/knees/hips/whatever...

Don't think I've seen a C14 for $1500 here locally, but have seen non-ABS -08-09 C14s for slightly over $2K so it may take a bit of patience but early C14s may be in reach and they certainly are an enjoyable ride...

Thanks for all the input everyone. I am still looking, now I am hoping to find a 14 but not too optimistic. Going to look at a 2003 10w/ only 7000 miles this weekend, its listed for $2500 but the guy said he has some room to move on that. He also seems to know the bikes history, he is the 2nd owner. I am aware of the epic battle between low miles or a well taken care of bike so I will do my homework on what specifically to ask and look for. I will keep you posted!!

bikes' especially ones with 100k miles on them, like the '86 I sold, are tried and true.. don't be afraid, they if running, and have been run consitantantly, will continue to run,, my '86 even tho it was a west coast bike when originally repurchased ( and those were the ones that had th tulip valve issues..) was fine, and when I maintained it and made sure to cherish, and treat it in a manner to make sure it was "top running", never had any issue. I regret selling it, I'm sure today, if I still owned it, it would be everything I wanted when I bought it.  face it, old Conni's are really cheap.. buy one, and work on it.. and ride it.. I would not sell my '78 Kz 1000Ltd, for anything close to the price for an '86 Conni..

just saying, low miles, are not a good indicator of what you will get. Garage queens, and long stored bike, are very expensive to "get running right", ones that get regularly ridden, and serviced, are much easier to "bring up to spec".
Don't think I'd buy any bike, with 10k miles, stored for decades... without considering th work head of me to bring it alive, and in proper form.. done this many times.. it's NOT fun spending money, and 3 month's worth of "Resurrection"...

Let me ask ya this, if I can legitimately document that this 2003 with 7000 miles on it was taken care of~~the bike was bought for one purpose but it didnt pan out but the owner kept it around and maintained it in hopes of getting his wife to come on long trips. Rode the roughly 400 miles every season, maintenance including fluids kept up with. 6000 mile maintenance performed.....would you still go with a same year bike that was well taken care of but with like 85000 miles instead?

nunia720 said:
if I can legitimately document that this 2003 with 7000 miles on it was taken care of'...de the roughly 400 miles every season, maintenance including fluids kept up with...

That's going to be a judgement call -- yes, it is certainly possible that diligent owner can keep a bike in good form with only 400 miles a year, the question is "did he..."  Inactivity has killed more marine, aircraft, motorcycle, chainsaw, racecar, whatever engines/mechanicals than overuse ever did.  Having said that, a thoroughly mothballed machine can last decades and require little more than a tuneup with gasket/hose check to be back in good form...

I'd guess most riders in warmer climes depend on regular activity to keep their bikes running (I know I do), where the more northern folks have to semi-mothball their boats/bikes/whatever every year... in my area I generally like to see about 2000 a year on the bike minimum, but there is certainly nothing scientific in that number...

I bought my 2000 C10, which was fairly well taken care of, with 95K on it. Never had any major issues with it at all in the 40K miles I put on it.

Nunia, ur nit going to have any problems keeping either bike upright.  Im 5'10" 215# with 2 bum knees.  Yes the c10 can be a tad top heavy standing still.  Moving forward at 5mph feet up no problems.  I had a 'c10 i put 75k before i moved up to my 2010 c14.  Only isues i ever had on my c10 was j -box. 

Moved to the c14 for modern looks and creature features.  Electrically adjustable windscreen is so nice....!  Maintenance was a tad easier on the c10, valve adjust are a breeze on a c10, but are like doing surgery on a c14. 

...and for.my 2 cents, id be really leery on anyone who wont discuss in detail anything they are trying to sell you.  Walk away my friend....