• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello all you Concours owners and fellow riders.

stretchdog

Training Wheels
Laugh if you like, but I've never been much for forums. I used to spend many an hour administering them for my boss. However, being as I've just purchased my third Concours (and kazzilianth Kawasaki) I decided to take the plunge ;-)

Yes, I've owned a ton of kawi's, three of them ZG1000's, as well as many other bikes in between. I tend to like older machines like the 92 ZX11 I purchased earlier this summer, and being as I'm heading south from Vancouver Island this January 2nd I decided a 'near mint' 87 ZG was a must. The hot rod is being ridden rain or shine here on the island on an almost daily basis, but the Concours is far more practical for the kind of winter ride we're about to risk.

The reason I say risk is because I'm watching the weather as I post this intro and my God... nearly 4 inches of rain in LA and a whole lot more to come? Up to 10 inches in the hills in the same period of time, and yes, a WHOLE BUNCH MORE TO COME... Grrrr! And we're wanting to camp Malibu Beach just south of Decker Canyon Road.... double Grrrrr!! According to the news by Thursday it will awash with a foot of mud... LOL!!!

Man, the last winter tour we left on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas) and spent New Years Eve and Day in Yosemite National Park. Ah, I don't think that will be the case this time around. But then the 101 and the rain... wholly crap bat girl!

Anyway, I'll attach a photo of the bikes another day, right now its late cause I been preparing for the trip, reviewing the 14 day weather trends along the way and my optional routes... any suggestions for this silly northerner?

I've signed up only as a guest because I prefer not using my banking information online and am mailing my paid membership. I've also chosen to allow my full name and contact information to be available on your "hard copy" of member list so if any of you 'die hard' mothers make it up to my neck of the woods you can call in advance. I've got lots of friends with bikes, have lived here all my life and lets face it... Vancouver Island has some of the best riding roads, camping and river, lake, mountain and ocean scenery you'll find anywhere ;-)

Not only that, if you have a problem I am personal friends with one of the best factory trained motorcycle mechanics on the west coast. No, he isn't going to fix your bike for free, but he will fix it. And he'll do it with a smile on his face and for half what it would cost you at the local dealerships... and all while you enjoy some of the best food you'll experience anywhere in your travels... lol.

Yes, there is nothing like knowing one of the locals... which brings me to my current situation (for any of you good sports located in Washington, Oregon and California).  Like I said, we are leaving Vancouver Island on the 2nd of January and expect to be going through Washington on the 3rd and Oregon on the 3rd and 4th. From Crescent City its to Frisco and then (depending on the weather) we'll tour southern California and hopefully make it to Death Valley and the Grand Canyon before heading back up the coast on January 21st through the 24th.

So, if any of you fine COG members have anything to offer... let me know.  Perhaps one day I can return the favor. I suppose with the kind of weather that's being predicted I'm mostly concerned about any unforeseeable emergency... like being snowed and needing a place to park the bike so we can fly home for a few months... lol.

All kidding aside, I'm looking forward to communicating with you all, and if ever you think you'll find yourself on Vancouver Island let me know. Oh ya, and I remember seeing on one of your pages you were looking for someone in British Columbia. What exactly are you looking for and what would be your expectations?

Look forward to all your responses and feed back.... cheers!

Welcome Stretch,
You sound like a good fit for membership.  You might try tracking down a used member directory for your trip after you become a full member.  Many of your best members, willing to help are just not using the forums much either.  If you contact membership or your area directors I bet you can end up with a directory in your hands before you go.  We only print and send new ones in the spring before the main riding season.

As for paying for stuff online.  I have one card with a very low limit I use for online stuff.  Truth is a card purchase is more protected then a check in the mail.  But I understand your resistance.  Think of it this way though.  Do you really think they would let the entire internet purchasing system become corrupt at any level higher then checks or cash?  There is just to much riding on the system working now.

The Connie is great for foul weather travel right up till you get to sheet ice.  At that point I would rather have something about 600 lb lighter.  Enjoy the trip.

Welcome aboard!
I am about as much help as is my area director as far as Washington to California goes but we are glad to have you here.
With so much time on the Concours you will surely be quite an asset! I am sure some of those left coasters will chime in before you take off and you will find friends and support along the way. They wake up kinda late so you may have to wait on 'em a bit!  :p LOL

Vancouver Island sounds like a sactuary for sure. I have seen a few documentaries and travel videos on it and it is absolutely gorgeous for sure. It may be a while before I venture that far away but maybe some day.... Anyhow, glad to have you on.

I have done quite a bit of online shopping and the only time I ever had any type of an incident was from using my card at a department store and the clerk was selling out info so at this point I PREFER to use the card on-line more than at a retail place! I feel for your concern though. It took quite a bit of work to clear it all up but the card people were great about it. I had a shipping address for one of the items stolen for delivery and I could not get one person to lift a finger to investigate it. They (law enforcement up to fbi level) all just told me it wasn't worth their time and the card company would just eat it so I didn't have to worry about it (or them either for that matter!).. No wonder it such an epidemic and card rates are so high!!

Best wishes and prayers for your trip stateside. Hope all goes really well and the storms clear a path of sunshine for your ride.... both ways!

doug

ANOTHER Texan chiming in here to say WELCOME.

Yep, I know... another worthless poster that can't do a thing to help ya.  But maybe the bump will help someone else spot your post.  Now... if you do travel a bit further south... say a coupla thousand miles or so, then I got yer back and we'll leve a light on fer ya. 
chuck

There has been lots of rain down in California, so make sure you check the Cal trans site and check road conditions, especially if you are planning on riding down hwy 1 to SF.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

smithr said:
You might try tracking down a used member directory for your trip after you become a full member.  Many of your best members, willing to help are just not using the forums much either.  If you contact membership or your area directors I bet you can end up with a directory in your hands before you go.

Good idea, thanks. I see the different AD's emails listed on the contact page... cool. I will email mine right now and see if I get a response. All I would ask and hope for would be a contact number or two between here and LA... only to be used in case of emergency. Actually, I see a number of AAD's listed as well. I will check there locations and contact those located closest our planned path of travel. This time of year the plan is to get to camping weather as soon as possible. We only have three weeks and would like to spend as much of it as possible out of the rain... lol, mind you I see on the news that southern California has had a foot of rain in places (ten feet of snow at elevation) in the last four days with more to come.... grrrr!

I have faith in my ability to will the weather to change. I've done these winter trips before and the weather has an uncanny way of cooperating at the last minute when you put your mind to it. In fact I checked the 14 day trend for LA two days ago and it was 2 days mixed and 12 days of rain. Today I checked and it was 12 days mixed (or sun) and only 2 days wet... lol.

Don't mind riding cold wet roads for a few days getting there and back, just wouldn't want to spend three weeks in it... not to mention the expense of staying in motels ;-)

smithr said:
As for paying for stuff online.  I have one card with a very low limit I use for online stuff.  Truth is a card purchase is more protected then a check in the mail.

Ya, you'd think. But I been working for ten years as an Internet Marketer and know that things online aren't always what they seem to be. And most recently I made the mistake of making a single purchase online, and from a reputable online business to boot, and within three weeks had to cancel my card and have them issue me a new one because it had been compromised by someone putting through Face Book related charges. Initially they were a buck or two each, but then they got larger until it reached a total of several hundred dollars. That's after decades of never having my credit or bank cards compromised... go figure eh. It happened over a short time span so I wouldn't have known until my next statement if it weren't for Visa being on the ball and catching it themselves.

I'm definitely going to become a paid member one way or the other, but right now it Christmas so I'm busy with family and friends, and planning this two wheeled winter adventure. When I get back I'm going to check into what is expected from an area AAD. I see on the site that they're looking for one in BC. Any idea what it involves?

And yes, your right about the Connie on ice. It ain't no ice machine, but then neither is my zx11.  Maybe you can say a little prayer to the weather Gods for me each night as you tuck yourself in... lol.

doug said:
I am about as much help as is my area director as far as Washington to California goes but we are glad to have you here.

So just how far east are you from me?

doug said:

With so much time on the Concours you will surely be quite an asset!

Actually, although this is my third, I've not been riding them exclusively by any means. I've owed a number of bikes over the years. But for all around commuting and travel I figured it was a good choice... and up here insurance for a bike is stupid expensive, but once it hits 25 yrs of age you can purchase a 'classic' plate with full coverage and other benefits for about a c-note and a half per year. I think that alone makes it a good choice when you can save yourself about 1500 bucks a year on insurance... lol.

doug said:
Vancouver Island sounds like a sanctuary for sure. I have seen a few documentaries and travel videos on it and it is absolutely gorgeous. It may be a while before I venture that far away but maybe some day.

Best wishes and prayers for your trip stateside. Hope all goes really well and the storms clear a path of sunshine for your ride.... both ways!

If you ever do plan a trip out my way let me know and I'll at least point in the direction of some of the best riding VI has to offer... and thanks for the prayers and wishes. That's the kind of energy that will help clear the skies above us and warm the ground below us.... cheers!

Rev Rider said:
Yep, I know... another worthless poster that can't do a thing to help ya.  But maybe the bump will help someone else spot your post.  Now... if you do travel a bit further south... say a coupla thousand miles or so, then I got yer back and we'll leve a light on fer ya. 

Really appreciate it chuck. In fact the last time I headed south this time of year we left on December 26th, spent New Years in 'cold, cold' Yosemite, then headed south and east through Death Valley, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, through New Mexico into Texas and all the way out to the Gulf of Mexico. We spent time riding up and down the Texas Coast and finally planted ourselves on South Padre Island before heading straight back into the winter that had chased us east until we finally got snowed in for two days and nights in Alpine Texas.

Funny, the good friend I was traveling with? His name was Chuck... lol.

2linby said:
There has been lots of rain down in California, so make sure you check the Cal trans site and check road conditions, especially if you are planning on riding down hwy 1 to SF.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Thanks for the heads up. Like minds think alike. Already got all the contact numbers for road conditions and weather on the fly. It's a must for a trip this time of year, as is the renewed AAA membership and travel insurance... ;-)

Now I just need to hear back from the NW AD with a few COG member contact numbers... just in case. for anyone reading this between Vancouver Island and California... we're heading out on Jan 3rd from Port Townsend on the North East corner of the Olympic Peninsula, down 101 to Olympia, then straight down I-5 to somewhere between Cottage Grove and Grants Pass before heading back out to the coast and on to Frisco, Malibu Beach, etc.

Input anyone? Good places to stop, see, eat, stay, camp? Been there before but only as a tourist. Its always nice to get recommendations from the locals no matter where you end up. Thanks in advance for the help making this a three week adventure worth remembering...  ;-)

Stretch,  I hope you heard back from your AD by now.  If not the only excuse I have is it is the last days of his term as AD and maybe trying to find a replacement.  If you want to learn more about AD or AAD positions I think there is documents about both in the COG online library.  I think in cog legal then read the Constitution.

Stretch dog
I am in the north central part of Texas. When you talked about your trip through Texas you almost got to me. When you went south all the way to the coast you were right by Rev Rider. I appreciate the hospitality and some day I would love to trip about as you have! Quite an inspiration there! I have just crossed into Canada to do the "pretty" side of the Niagra Falls and I have been as far up as Washington state on your side to fetch a RV we helped a family out with. I am new to street bikes with a bit over 5000 miles mostly commuting  under the belt now.
I'm workin off my blackberry and know I missed some comments back but will write more once at home. Wife is in surgery for neck disc fusion at this point so I thought I would spend a few of my "not in prayer" minutes here! You are right about that being the best hope on weather change.... And good outcomes or peace for more challenges from surgeries for that matter!
Hope you get great direction and support contacts along your ride rout!
My best to you for the ride and the CHRISTmas season...
Doug

doug said:
so I thought I would spend a few of my "not in prayer" minutes here!

Any news yet Mr. Doug?
Been wonderin' about Kitty today.  You know you have our prayers.

Stretch Dog;

As most likely you will be coming on through Seattle you can swing by my place and pickup a members handbook that I'm be happy to lend you for the trip until your's arrives.

Give me a call on the phone or Skype and we can discuss the whole online security thing as I'm the chap that set it all up and am responsible for it. My number is in my profile or you can Pm me with your number. I can also fill you in on the AAD job, and give you some ideas for routes South

I have been to Victoria Island a couple of times on the bike, for sure you have some sweet roads up there.

Cheers

Colin

Rev Rider said:
doug said:
so I thought I would spend a few of my "not in prayer" minutes here!

Any news yet Mr. Doug?
Been wonderin' about Kitty today.  You know you have our prayers.
Thanks for the call Doug. Glad to hear all is well so far.

Stretch, you rascal.  ;)  Steal Colin's book and keep heading south for the Tex/Mex border and I'll meet up with ya there.  He'll be far enough south he'll never find us.  :eek:

Yall have fun and ride safe.  Really I have to stay home and work for Christmas so no playtime for me. :'(

smithr said:
Stretch,  I hope you heard back from your AD by now.  If not the only excuse I have is it is the last days of his term as AD and maybe trying to find a replacement.  If you want to learn more about AD or AAD positions I think there is documents about both in the COG online library.  I think in cog legal then read the Constitution.

Nope. Haven't heard anything yet but sawfiler in washington has been communication with me lots on the forum and is being a help for sure. I just can't get to him for a hard copy of the directory and well, with it being christmas and all i doubt it would get here in time by mail. I'll definitely check out the online library for info on AD and AAD. I'd even be interested in moderating some of the forum. I have quite a bit of experience with that kind a stuff.

Thanks...  8)

sawfiler said:
SD, I posted some sugestions about the Olympic Peninsula and 101 south on your other thread on this topic.

Got it, thanks ;-)

So, your Concours like to lay down and roll around in gravel? that's just too funny!

doug said:
Stretch dog
I am in the north central part of Texas. When you talked about your trip through Texas you almost got to me.
Hope you get great direction and support contacts along your ride rout!
My best to you for the ride and the CHRISTmas season...
Doug

Thanks Doug. I appreciate your thoughts and mine are with you and your wife this Holiday Season. So far people been pretty helpful here. I'm waiting for my AD to get back to me and I PM a fellow named Steve in Oregon. Judging by the response so far I'm confident I'll get the input, recommendations for lodging, food, roads and sites I need to make the trip just that much more enjoyable.

Cheers my Friend...  8)

colinp386 said:
As most likely you will be coming on through Seattle you can swing by my place and pickup a members handbook that I'm be happy to lend you for the trip until your's arrives.

Give me a call on the phone or Skype and we can discuss the whole online security thing as I'm the chap that set it all up and am responsible for it. My number is in my profile or you can Pm me with your number. I can also fill you in on the AAD job, and give you some ideas for routes South.

I have been to Victoria Island a couple of times on the bike, for sure you have some sweet roads up there.

Appreciate the offer Colin, but we'll have to meet in person another time. We're coming across from Victoria to Port Angeles, spending the night in Port Townsend then heading to Olympia and probably out to the coast. Maybe down I-5 if the weather is equally wet and dreary... lol. As for phoning you, I can't see phone numbers in the online member directory... probably because I'm not a full member yet. I'll pm you my number and email so you have it.

Is there anyway you can send me an electronic version of the directory by email or PM? All I really need anyway would be contact information for people on route, which would be the western side of washington, oregon and california... and weather permitting, death valley, vegas and grand canyon areas as well.

Sounds like your into IT. I took the courses about 10 years ago and got my mcp, mcsa, mcse and all the comptia certs. Did great in the courses, passes high in the class. But I had no back ground experience in it and ended up working for a Internet Marketing company writing content, doing seo and website quality control, administering forums etc until recently. I ended up quite burned out with all and took a month leave 14 months ago to destress and haven't worked since. Wish now I'd gotten myself an entry level job in IT and stayed with it cause not having any previous experience everything I learned to get certified I've since completely forgotten. Man, and it cost me almost 20K for the courses... :-(

So your colin p. I'm a colin p too... lol. Look forward to meeting you one day. If you ever have a chance to come to the island again let me know. You should be able to access my contact information in the members list... less guest members aren't listed... lol.

Have you ever done the Gold River road here on the island?

doug said:
Stretch, you rascal.  ;)  Steal Colin's book and keep heading south for the Tex/Mex border and I'll meet up with ya there.  He'll be far enough south he'll never find us.  :eek:

Yall have fun and ride safe.  Really I have to stay home and work for Christmas so no playtime for me. :'(

Man, I wish I could do a repeat trip like that last one, just don't have the time. Like I was saying to Colin, I just took a 14 month leave from work so when I get back I be looking for work... lol. Damn, and I bought two bikes this year and haven't got the time to get further than California.... grrrrrr!!!

Ted if you take the entire day of drizzle we get once a winter and gather it up and poor it on your balding head (like mine) you will remember what rain feels like.

I remember riding my brand new 83 Nighthawk to work in Austin, TX. in twelve degrees. I remember snow there more than once. And I remember pretty good amount of rain. I think maybe you guys just might be exaggerating just a tab bit!  :D

It might rain in DFW this weekend.  Beautiful riding to and from work, then rain for the weekend.  Of course.  LOL  Ah well, it's a dry bike night at Twin Peaks in Addision tonight!

Welcome from yet ANOTHER Texan! 

Off for my ride to work!  :D

Stretch Dog,  We indeed do have a new AD for the NW area.  The transition is in the works.  The announcement is in the upcoming Concourier which will be out in early February.  By the time you receive it you will be able to contact him by e mail.