• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello from France

frenchminet

Big Wheel
Hi Folks ^-^

Just to say hello from a french black 2008 concours owner (in France, the bike is called a GTR 1400) who's a member of GTRmania.com under the name of "Grosminet"

http://www.gtrmania.com

I live in Alès which is just a few kilometers north of Nîmes, at the feet of the Cévennes

Previous bikes: Yamaha Diversion; CB 750; VFR 750; ZRX 1200 s

Thanks for all the tips and especially the heat protection topics<>I roasted my legs during a trip in Italy a few weeks ago... :mad:

See you ;)

Welcome to the forum Olivier enjoy.  Stick around and add your over the pond experiences to the mix.  We are starting to see more join from all over the world.  I think it is cool.

Enchante', Olivier !

With all the scooters I saw in Paris last March, I thought Parisians traveled via Piaggios.  :)  Glad to see that other cycles are in use in France also.
mp3_group_photo_560_01.jpg

A bientot,
Matt

Salute!

As a fellow European, I would love to see more International Connie owners here, and for the Forum and COG site to be more Internationally friendly  :beerchug:

Colin said:
Salute!

As a fellow European, I would love to see more International Connie owners here, and for the Forum and COG site to be more Internationally friendly  :beerchug:

Maybe if he didn't have to be listed as a North East member, they would.  >:D  France is really east!!!!  :))

Yes we know George Boomer "Boom Boom" and his two current Connies. I believe he is still a member of GTRmania.com website, with limited entries more recently however. I don't know much about Hans, He may be on the CGE website. 

Coolsurlasix said:
Yes we know George Boomer "Boom Boom" and his two current Connies. I beleive he is still a member of GTRmania.com website, with limited entries more recently however. I don't know much about Hans, He may be on the CGE website.

Oops, my mistake. I typed GTE. I meant GCE.

I think that  "Hans" <hans-ove.gortz@telia.com>  is the Prez. of that club.

Ride safe, Ted

Cap'n Bob said:
Colin said:
Salute!

Maybe if he didn't have to be listed as a North East member, they would.  >:D  France is really east!!!!  :))

Maybe another region code for the OTP guys??  Sounds like a good idea to me.

frenchminet said:
Hi Folks ^-^

Just to say hello from a french black 2008 concours owner (in France, the bike is called a GTR 1400) who's a member of GTRmania.com under the name of "Grosminet"

I live in Alès which is just a few kilometers north of Nîmes, at the feet of the Cévennes

Thanks for all the tips and especially the heat protection topics<>I roasted my legs during a trip in Italy a few weeks ago... :mad:

See you ;)

Welcome, great to see European members here.

Is where you live located any where close to Base aérienne 118 Mont-de-Marsan?

Cap'n Bob said:
Colin said:
Salute!

Well by golly, we will take him as a Southeast member then, we be friendly to all ya all, ya know?  ;)

Vic Salisbury said:
Cap'n Bob said:
Colin said:
Salute!

Well by golly, we will take him as a Southeast member then, we be friendly to all ya all, ya know?  ;)

Hey, I'm not trying to kick him out. But wouldn't it be nice if the people in (for example) Europe could actually be listed near their name as being from Europe, rather than the closest point in the US?

Cap'n Bob said:
Hey, I'm not trying to kick him out. But wouldn't it be nice if the people in (for example) Europe could actually be listed near their name as being from Europe, rather than the closest point in the US?

Good point, (I was just bustin chops ya know) now that we are so much more "electro-friendly", would be a good feature to implement.

Cap'n Bob said:
Colin said:
Salute!

Actually France should be west, i.e. Western Front and western part of Europe.

frenchminet said:
Hi Folks ^-^

See you ;)

Bonjour brutha! I'm over in France at minimum twice a year,  usually more, we have a facility in Albi, about 30 clicks outside of Toulouse. If you're close to that area let me know, maybe we could grab a beer or vino my next time over there!  :beerchug:  :party0036:

Let me have a chat with the other Officers at the next BOD meeting (at the National) I can see good reason to create a 7th "International" or European Area/Chapter. It would need an amendment to our Charter, but that's not difficult.
It would however need some other changes too, and that's where it gets a bit more complicated.

A lot depends on the number of folks that are currently full members and the likely number that wanted to join etc.

Not quite following this.
Sounds like your suggesting a COG Chapter in France? Seems like it would be simpler for them to join GCE?
I know that GCE is not a COG Chapter, but we work with them every yearon OtP.  Great Folks..

Ride safe, Ted

Vic Salisbury said:
frenchminet said:
Hi Folks ^-^

See you ;)

Welcome, great to see European members here.

Is where you live located any where close to Base aérienne 118 Mont-de-Marsan?

Just 511 kms away<> 6 hours of hard driving at the minimum :(

ZG said:
frenchminet said:
Hi Folks ^-^

See you ;)

Bonjour brutha! I'm over in France at minimum twice a year,  usually more, we have a facility in Albi, about 30 clicks outside of Toulouse. If you're close to that area let me know, maybe we could grab a beer or vino my next time over there!  :beerchug:  :party0036:

Ahaaah, you're getting closer: Albi is only 267 kms or 4 hours away!! ^-^

connie_rider said:
Sounds like your suggesting a COG Chapter in France? Seems like it would be simpler for them to join GCE?
I know that GCE is not a COG Chapter, but we work with them every yearon OtP.  Great Folks..

Ride safe, Ted

So is there no way just to be able to say I'm from Europe without having a full chapter?

Could COG just develop a reciprocity agreement with GCE where if you're a member of one you have membership privileges in the other?  Similar to what the states do with concealed carry permits.

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

No Ted;

I'm suggesting that we consider creating a Europe or International chapter or ROW (Rest Of the World)
However before we did so we would need to talk to the GTE guys.

There are a number of subtle differences between COG and GTE not least of which is the fact that GTE is free, and a large part of  COG's membership fee goes to producing and mailing the Concourier.

I could see how the creation of a slightly lower cost ROW membership plan that included the cost of mailing the Concourier could be attractive to International Members. I will write up some ideas for the next BOD meeting.

Colin

Colin said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

No Ted;

I'm suggesting that we consider creating a Europe or International chapter or ROW (Rest Of the World)
However before we did so we would need to talk to the GTE guys.

There are a number of subtle differences between COG and GTE not least of which is the fact that GTE is free, and a large part of  COG's membership fee goes to producing and mailing the Concourier.

I could see how the creation of a slightly lower cost ROW membership plan that included the cost of mailing the Concourier could be attractive to International Members. I will write up some ideas for the next BOD meeting.

Colin

[United States of] America vs. the "Rest of the World" sounds very American and resemble Fox News - crappy IMHO - business model very much. While you are at it, you could have chapters by continents, i.e. North America, Central America, South America, Oceania, Africa, Asia, and Europe.

Vic Salisbury said:

Perhaps if he was from the South of France that would be Nice!   :rotflmao: ;)

This is a good idea of creating a new location (Chapter)  8)
IMHO- and even though I am not Canadian I bet that our Canadian friends would not mind having their own.  ;)

[United States of] America vs. the "Rest of the World" sounds very American and resemble Fox News - crappy IMHO - business model very much. While you are at it, you could have chapters by continents, i.e. North America, Central America, South America, Oceania, Africa, Asia, and Europe.

As a British Ex Pat and avid BBC Radio 4 listener I don't disagree.  ;D

However I don't see it practical to split COG up into such large chapters.
If you look at the current membership demographics it's something like:
NE 500
NC 200
NW 220
SW 150
SC 230
SE 300

This is very approximate and only counts fully paid COG members not Forum only Members.
given the way we organize Area Events and the administration of the Area's etc. It would not be practical to set the Areas as you suggest.

I was not suggesting we call the non North America Area ROW I agree that's totally inappropriate  ;)  my apologies that I gave that impression.

Ahh, that's ok Colin.
                                We forgive ya.....  :))  <sly grin>

Ride safe Buddy. See ya in Vermont!

Colin said:

As a British Ex Pat and avid BBC Radio 4 listener I don't disagree.  ;D

However I don't see it practical to split COG up into such large chapters.
If you look at the current membership demographics it's something like:
NE 500
NC 200
NW 220
SW 150
SC 230
SE 300

This is very approximate and only counts fully paid COG members not Forum only Members.
given the way we organize Area Events and the administration of the Area's etc. It would not be practical to set the Areas as you suggest.

I was not suggesting we call the non North America Area ROW I agree that's totally inappropriate  ;)  my apologies that I gave that impression.

Dammit! I moved to the US to see less Brits in the streets of Paris, and now I am! Seriously thank you very much for the insight on COG chapters and the rest of the discussion that makes sense. No need to apologize for the ROW thing that triggered my reply. I am also an avid listener of BBC World on NPR or other web-based radios to sneak a peak to the ROW, thanks to v-tuner. I forgot our Commonwealth friends down under, my apologies for this rudeness during the winter time.

And I left England & Italy for Seattle to see less of them (Brits) too LoL
Now all I see is Russians  :))

No worries no offence taken.

Colin the Brit.