• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello!!!

cvance

Big Wheel
I'm here finally...I'm a new member, not new to a Concours but figured it was time to join. I have had a burning questions which has brought me here today.

I have a 1999 Connie and I have been given permission from the CFO, my wife, to get a new C14. I have worked a deal out that I'm happy with but wanted to know....Would I be doing the right ting? Is the C14 smoother and everything I expect it to be? Is there night and day difference between the C10 and C14? Look forward to meeting you'll...Help me make the right decision.

Thanks again for allowing me to grace your group. Over the years have learned a ton from you guys and applied many of the technical fixes that have surfaced on this group. I have been a member of many groups and I have to say this one seems to be the most active I have ever seen.

A little about me, retired vet of 22 years in the US Navy. Currently an RF Engineer and Operations Manager for the first 4G network in the country. My hobbies are Cycles - all types including bicycles and Golf. I consider myself a pretty good mechanic although I do not hold any certifications, but managed to keep all services and most repairs to the confines of my garage. Over the years many of my friends have moved from biking to other traditional hobbies and I have found myself traveling the roads alone more so than not. Feel free to drop me a line if you are in the North Florida region and maybe we can get a ride together. There are many places to ride here, but I would also like to ride North and try some mountain routes out.

Take care and drop a line anytime. My in-box/door/ear/self etc is available  most of the times and I'm willing to assist any way I can.

Thanks, Chris

Welcome aboard Chris. The C14 is smoother and faster. But is it that much better? I guess it's something you won't know until you have one and judge for yourself. $15K is a lot to find out. I liked mine a lot. But I don't know if I liked it twice the price better than my C10. But it is a fine machine.

Feel really good since I was able to ebay price shop them down to 13.4K - for the 2011 that wasn't bad at all I'm thinking. I appreciate your comments...talk to you soon.

Hey Chris, welcome aboard!
My only experience with the C14 was a rental before I bought my 06 C10. I wish I had the experience to have really been able to put it through it's paces. The 14 is very smooth. Liquid power is a good term for it. Looks like you have found yourself a good deal there. When I searched out the C10 I had no idea how it would perform and I am quite happy with it. I really like seeing how much more premium fuel is as I select the regular too. If I had the funds and my daily commute wasn't relied on to keep the fuel monster on a diet I am certain I would be in a 14.

Welcome Chris. I only have experience with the C-14, had mind since Oct 07 and have loved every minute.
Sounds like a great deal to me.
As for as heading north to ride, you may want to try the Run With Wolf Rally. Be a good time not only to ride the mountains but also meet some of your fellow COGers.

Hello Chris.
I guess I'll be the culprit here  and admit to being a C-10 Loyalist.  >:D >:D
I have an 03, and when the C-14 came out I arranged a check ride.
Loved the power, loved the handling. Great bike,,, but not for me.
The height made it difficult for me to throw my leg over without hitting the saddle bags.
Was not impressed by the mirrors. Wanted more protection from the windshield.
Silver vs "RED".....
$14,000 vs the "Paid for" 03....

Wasn't a difficult decision for me to make. Still riding "Buddy"..
But I do admit to being jealous or your new ride,,, (just a bit).

Enjoy your new ride. Welcome to the COGdom..

Ride safe, Ted

As the owner of a 2 week old 2011 Silver Concours 14 I'm going to be biased but....this is an AMAZING ride.  I really don't think you'll be disappointed. I did a lot of research on accessories in anticipation of fitting my new bike with risers, new seat etc but after 2weeks I've scrapped most of those plans.  So far the bike is perfect for me.  Good luck with your decision.

Hey Chris, welcome.

Do get up to RWTW iff'n you can. Also, Tom Mann does a Thursday supper in Jax once a month, And there is the Tax Relief Ride to Eat coming up on April 16th in Cedar Key. This is put on by Jo Poole, she does a marvy job with it. IIRC, there's usually about 25-35 bikes that show for this.

We also do quite a few RTEs in mid Fl, will be switching to breakkies as summer hits.

Keep an eye on the events forum.

Again, welcome. Hope to see ya around.

Hi Chris and welcome.  Just to piggyback on what SteveJ said, try and come to the Run With the Wolf Rally Apr 29-31.  Great bunch of folks at this one.  I'm going to try to make the Cedar Key ride as well.  I live up in Valdosta, Ga. so not too far away!  Hope to see ya soon.

Reid Yeargan
COG SGa AAD

Welcome Chris!

I can't speak about the C10, since my 2011 C14 is my first Concours, but if you're getting the ABS model (with Traction Control) and you ride in a wide variety of weather & road conditions, my opinion is that the newer bike is worth it.

I'm basing this on previous bikes, some with ABS and some without. Also, most of my riding is commuting year round, rain or shine (except for today...I wussed out). I did just finish a coast to coast trip last week (California to South Carolina and back) and I can honestly say that in 6000 miles over two weeks, the only thing I would change on the bike is to install some kind of cruise control. Also, it was only on the return trip (around New Mexico) that the C14 actually started feeling small and I found myself wondering about a Gold Wing.

In any case, I believe that once you've taken possession of your C14 and spent some time on her, you won't have any real regrets.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down.  ;)