• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helmet Recommendations

funsize

I need recommendations.  I'm needing to buy a new helmet.  I love the modular helmet.  Here's what I'm looking for in a helmet.

[list type=decimal]
[*]Modular
Sun visor
Doesn't fog up
Rain doesn't leak inside the helmet
Little to no wind noise
Reasonable price
[/list]

Please share what brand and why.  Thanks for your help. 

Irene

You may have to revise your want list for a new helmet.  I love my Bilt modular bluetooth modular helmet, but it's not the quietest helmet out there.  Modular helmets in general will have more noise than a full face.  Sun visors are getting pretty common, even in cheap helmets, so that will be an easy one.  Finding one that doesn't fog up is probably going to mean getting a helmet that can add a "pinlock" visor https://pinlock.com/what-is-a-pinlock-visor/, which may not be available in less expensive helmets.  As for leaking rain, I would think that would be pretty easy, but I don't do much riding in rain and have no experience with a variety of helmets.  As for reasonable price, that varies widely with how deep your pockets are.  $400 to one may be reasonable and to someone else, outrageous.  If you think $800 is reasonable, you may get most of what you want in a helmet.  If you could try a friends helmet, it would probably help a bunch in choosing a new helmet.  I think cyclegear has a trial period, so if you hate what you bought, you can return it within something like 5 days.  Should be an interesting thread though.  Almost as good as an oil or tire thread!  Good luck Irene!

Hiya Irene. I just bought an HJC at The Helmet Shop in Daytona. Under two bills, fairly quiet and the shield has pins for a Pinlock anti fog shield if needed. Model# IS-MAX II. Bonus, you can try the helmet on in person. It does let a little water dribble on the inside of the shield in the rain.

I've had nothing but great service from the knowledgeable folks there including help expediting a warranty claim on some boots that leaked and needed replacing quickly for an upcoming trip.

Wow, I think that is the longest sentence I've ever written.

Really liked my neotec, will buy the same next time, but it wasn’t as quiet as I had hoped for.

What shape head do you have; oval or round. That will determine which brand may be better for you.

The HJC IS-Max 2 (as mentioned above by SteveJ will meet your requirements. So will the Sedici Systema, HJC SyMax 2, RPHA Max, Nolan N104, the Shoei Neo-tech and the Schuberth C3.  Of that list (which is not complete) the IS-Max 2 and the Sedici are the most economical, the Shoei and Schuberth are the more expensive.

Decide how much you want to spend first. Then I suggest that you go to a shop that carries a large number of brands (Cycle Gear, The Helmet Shop, etc) and try on several in your price range. Wear one around in the shop for at least 15 minutes (yeas, you'll look kind of dorky but ...) to be sure it fits.  I'm not familiar with the Helmet Shop but I know that Cycle Gear has a very liberal return policy on helmets (not all stores do).

There's tons of info out there on which modular is best. Take your time, find one that fits. Hot spots, pressure points, etc will drive you nuts on a long ride. DAMHIK.  ;)

Hello,

I would also suggest Silver or White as a visible color to other motorists.

I enjoyed using an HJC IS modular helmet.  Its black color was not real hot but it was warmer than others.

I like HJC helmets in full-face, 3/4, and modular.  They are not real heavy on long rides, and they fit my so-called normal head.  However, my wife did not like her HJC helmets until we got her a Shoei that fit her real well.  She found HJC's had hot spots that rubbed her forehead or top of head.  But that's her experience.

I like my Shoei modular in Silver now.  I have a Sena bluetooth radio on the outside of my helmet versus any built-in device.

Matt

Maybe something like a Schuberth C3?  some of those list items seem mutually exclusive. 

I'd like the perfect helmet too, but I'm not sure one exists that can hit all of those points.  Are they in the list of priority?  Maybe we can find something that checks most of them? 

My Shoie Neotec modular is the best helmet I have ever had.  It is also the most expensive.  I wanted the integrated sun visor and shoie was the only one that did not suck.  Most of the others distorted my vision or were to light of a tint.  It is quiet for a modular.  Everything does what it should.

If you are lucky enough to (1) wear a size that is still available and (2) find a color you can live with in that size, look for a Kabuto Ibuki.  Ebay, Motorcycle Closeouts, 2Wheel.com, but as with any discontinued item the choices are getting really slim.

I'm very, very happy with mine.  Price aside, it's extremely quiet, very comfortable on my egg all day long, easy to install my Sena, came with a pinlock anti-fog, sun shield, chin curtain.  But then there's the price!  I think I paid $195 for mine, and I see some are even cheaper now.

Thank you so much!  You all are awesome with your recommendations.  I'll be in Daytona for Biketoberfest and will check out the helmets and see which one I'll come home with.  Again, thank you.  :c017: :c017: :c017: :c017:

I'm interested to see what you end up with.  Your criteria is similar to mine -- I want it all, cheap!  :) 

As others have said, it depends on your head shape.  For me, I recently ended up getting a Bell Revolver Evo -- meets all of the criteria except it is a bit loud.  I believe the Sedici Systema gave me some fogging issues, and the HJC IS just was not the right shape for my head.

When Judy's helmet was lost on our trip we had to find a helmet quickly.
She selected a Nolan N91  N-Com .
We're very impressed by it and it cost a lot less than my Shoei Neotec.
Currently on sale at Revzilla.

Fits all your requirements, very quiet, scratch resistant visor, quick release strap, pin lock inner shield, etc,,, but isn't a budget helmet.

I suggest you watch the video on Revzilla.

https://shop.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n91-helmet

Ride safe, Ted

PS: We recently installed a {low profile} SENA 10R intercom.
      Took a little extra work to install but really fits and works well.

connie_rider said:
but isn't a budget helmet.

I don't know that I entirely agree.  In a world filled with $600+ helmets, that Nolan is rather low priced.  I would say it IS a rather budget friendly helmet. 

I don't know about OP but I think I'll see if I can find one locally to try out, looks like it would fit what I need too.  Thanks for the heads up. 

I dont fit the HJC brand very well, but Bell has always worked well.

Their Revolver EVO is a decent helmet, and usually sells for around 200.00.  I wish it were more quiet, but its fit is perfect (for me).

If you dont need a modular, a company called STG has a closeout sale on some of their older Bell Helmets.  I picked up a rs-1 for 99.00 (normal 399.00) and its awesome. Very quiet (non modular), light, and fits me perfectly.

rcannon409 said:

Their Revolver EVO is a decent helmet, and usually sells for around 200.00.  I wish it were more quiet, but its fit is perfect (for me).

If you dont need a modular, a company called STG has a closeout sale on some of their older Bell Helmets.  I picked up a rs-1 for 99.00 (normal 399.00) and its awesome. Very quiet (non modular), light, and fits me perfectly.
I am the same with HJC, and also like my Revolver EVO except for the noise (has made me better about wearing ear plugs).  I might want to get one of those RS-1 helmets -- did you get the same size as your Revolver?

Yes, I did get the same size as my revolver EVO.  I know their size charts claim different, but for me, it fit just like the evo does.

The marked down helmets have older build dates, if your bothered by that.  I e mailed Bell and they told me the helmet is good for 3-5 years AFTER you take it out of the box and to not be worried about a 2013 build date. Im not crazy about that, but the helmet is so comfortable, and high quality....

I THINK the "Bell Star" might fit differently, but the rs-1 and my revolver EVO were all but identical.

Rob9876 said:
rcannon409 said: