• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help electrical problem

TP

Big Wheel
Hello, I am new to the Connie only had her since December. The bike has no electrical power but horn works no lights nothing. This is a 1999 with a new light harness from Murphs' I installed. After I installed the light harness and put it all back together. Started the engine ran fine turn it off to check the power to my clock. After checking the power to clock reconnected the two plugs. Now I have no power. Checked battery fully charged and checked the fuses. Help. Thanks in advance. TP Spring Hill, FL 1999 C10 1986 V65

2 possible issues. 1 the J Box relays. The J Box on the C10 is notorious for the joints on the back of the relays failing. This is well documented in Chalkdust and I think the Tech Pages. 2 the ignition switch contacts. try jiggling the key in the switch a few times. However if you have been messing around with any of the wires on the harness, always good to mack sure all the connectors are pushed fully home. And that the main battery terminals are tight. My guess is the J Box.

Thanks Colin. I got home yesterday turn the key to on and had the garage door down and could see I had instrument lights. Got out the shop manual and started though the trouble shooting section on no ignition. Checked the battery again, was OK. Check the ignition fuse again, I am going to blame this on my old eyes (bifocals) the fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse hit the starter and varooooom. This has been a great learning experience. First when I installed the Murph

In the interest of a fuller understanding, every time you turn the key on there should be no headlight. The headlight is supposed to turn on after the engine is started. This is Ma K's way of reducing the burden on the battery when starting the engine and guaranteeing hotter spark.

Don't kick yourself too hard for not "seeing" the blown fuse. Son (18) had same issue. Asked if he had checked the fuses, all OK. When I got home I pulled the Aux. fuse and it was clearly blown. My eyes are 67 now, and officially retired as of last Fri. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife