• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help I got problems!!!!!

I recently had a fuel problem. Now I have a fairing/frame problem. I took off the cowlings to get to the carb bowls to drain them. After doing so, the main front weld that holds the fairing to the frame is busted. Fairing is resting on the front fender (with a cloth in between). SO the Question is....what the heck do I do now? DO I have to tow it to the dealer? Can I find someone to weld it?

IMHO - The dealer will charge a premium to make the repair. If you can identify the weld part and take the bike apart so the weld can be made without damaging anything else, I would then take it to a local welding shop and get it tig welded. Then do the priming and painting yourself. This will all save you a load of money. if your not caring about the money, go ahead and take it to a dealer. The weld should never break under normal use. Maybe you will have a dealer that will feel the same and not rape you over the repairs. Joe

This is a known thing that does happen, the dealer is not the place ot take it in this case I believe, there is a Cogger that makes a replacement main stay (60.00), but you will have to find someone to weld it, you also have to take the fairing off and remove cables that could get burned during welding. A friend did this for me. Just wanted to get a quick email off to you, as I will look for the person who makes the replacement part, someone might chime it with it in the mean time. I did use haeay duty electircal ties to hold it, still rode it, or you could make a nakked connie.

Does anyone know the cogger with the main stay? I did contact the dealer just cuz...they told me they would have to call me back (this usually means that they don't know). I will avoid them....calling around town for a welder

Actually, I believe it's Steve Pronto in Illinois who is the maker of the replacement fairing stay. I don't believe he's on the forum here, but he can be found in the COG member directory. "His e-mail is prontorides at yahoo dot com" The above is excerpted from this ZG Fanatics thread. http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=53013.0 http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556319820QrfnGK Good Luck Andy! Mark.

Mine broke last weekend. I think the best thing to do would be to take it all apart, then bring the bike to a welder. It's not hard to get apart, but would eat up some shop hours. I would expect to pay 20~40 bucks to a welder, provided it is all cleaned up and ready to weld. Double that if you take it apart but don't grind off the old mount. The price I saw for Steve Pronto's block was 75. If you take it to a welder they could probably just fab some piece of scrap metal to reinforce the original mount. Then no need to grind the old off. Depends on how bad the old one is, I guess. If you grind it all off, you'll need to locate the new mount somehow.

I contacted Steve, hope to hear from him soon. I really like the post that showed the pics (Thanks Mark). I also think that since I have yet to even start putting miles on this Bike, I want to use Steve's modification. two things remain. Can I get the fairing off and ride it to the shop? (If so, what is the procedure?) How do I know where to put this on, if I do grind off the old (which I was planning to do)? How did you do this Willy?

Not to take anything away from Steve's part, the cost of the front fairing is around $100. You might want to weigh this alternative as the your time and labor is the same either way.