• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help me find the right one

g1vetter9528

I want to buy a Concours 1000.

Can you guys tell me the things to really look closely at when looking at one for sale?
I see info about hydrolock but I'm not sure a seller will let me pull the plugs and take measurements.
Is there an easier way to know if the used bike has this issue?

Appreciate any advice.

I don't think hydro lock is specific to any year more than another year. Two things need to happen - the shutoff valve needs to leak and a carburetor float valve needs to stick open. It doesn't happen all that often - reading forums like this one can give the impression that a problem is widespread when it's not because people write about issues but not about smooth sailing. There's no outward symptoms that can indicate hydro lock nor funny noises when running. If you have cash in hand you can always ask to do the piston height comparison.
Watch for worn or weather cracked tires, rust or corrosion and black motor oil. Gear oil on the rear wheel, a split air box, or unusual sounds when running. Leaky forks, gouged brake rotors; anything that indicates the bike was not maintained should be things to avoid.

Look inside the gas tank. How much rust do you see? Is the gas gauge working?
If you see a lot of rust, there could be water, rusty sludge, and other stuff in there that needs serious attention.

Look for coolant leaks.
Minor electrical issues in the J-box may need attention if it has cracked relay solder connections. Easy fix.

The last 6+ odd years of production had camshaft lobe issues - not exactly sure when production changed to the soft ones but the first 10+years were trouble free. Do some research.

Only thing I would add - Be very careful about machines with extra low odometers. Had a customer bring in a C10 with supposedly less than (if I recall 17K miles) NO WAY…. The dealership he purchased from (at only 10K miles) was shut down a couple years ago for bad business practices, there was no recourse. There is nothing stopping a meter cluster from being swapped out.

Machine had significant wear throughout. Numerous valve jobs had been done witnessed by the different layers of sealants. Many farkle attempts from presumedly different owners or evolutions. That’s the other thing look out for machines with crazy bird nests of wires - this can indicate (not always) a less than thorough eye when performing upgrades and usually that same practice replicates in other important maintenance areas.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Also. Where are you located?

All the things that have been listed are good things to watch.
I'll add these to your watch list;
*Look at the aluminum on the handlebars etc, faded paint, and seat to see if it's been setting outside.
A bike that's been setting in someone's garage can be a real Gem.
One with obvious corrosion can be a real headache.
** Look for a bike that's been taken care of.
Does the bike have Farkles. (extra bits and pieces added
to improve the bike)
*** Fastest color / Red
(others will explain my reasoning) 😏

Lastly, since hydrolock is a possibility, ask the seller about it and if he will work with you.
(ie; if you get home and find out it was hydrolocked)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: After you get it, come ride with us!

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm in Northeast Florida. I'm 55 and always had harleys and did my own work. I'm kinda over it and became interested in the Concours because it just looks like the perfect setup to go long miles. Prices look to be in the $3,500-4,500 range for bikes that appear unmolested. At least that's the asking price.

$3,500 - $4,500 is high - more inline for an older C-14. I bought a sweet 2004 with 11,000 miles in 2017 for $3,000 from a dealer. Others said a low mileage bike will be trouble but this 13 year old bike has been good so far. Steve in Sunny Florida (COG) reworked the carbs and Larry Buck (COG) rebuilt and improved the junction box. I've put about 35,000 miles on the 2004 so far.