• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help me pick a top case..

I've gone back and forth on whether I wanted a hard top case for my '09 Concours 14.  I have pretty much decided I do want to get one, as it was such a convenience with my 990 adventure.. 

In looking around, I see Givi, Coocase, Shad or the Kawasaki one (givi too?)..  I am trying to get something that will be good, at the best price.

An acquaintance with the Kawasaki case said he uses the stock rack, and didn't have to go with any reinforced 3rd party rack.  Is that accurate information?  In trying to price the Kawasaki case, it looked like you had to buy the case, and then a color matched piece?  What exactly would I need to buy, and how much is it?

With the other 3rd party cases, do I have to pay for a mounting bracket and upgraded rack?  I'd like somewhere around 42L case, as that was the size on my 990 adventure and it was perfect for my use..  a bit bigger is certainly OK.  I don't want gargantuan, though..

If someone could point me specifically to what I need, and recommend something, it would be greatly appreciated.  I'm clueless about the Concours accessories like this so far..  thanks!

I just my jc whitney case in the other day. Seems to be of good quality and a lot of people use it with good reviews. I have not mounted it yet so I cant say for myself but I bought it for long trips only. Otherwise its going to be in storage and best of all is it was $85 shipped.

I personally recommend a Givi or Shad. Both are great cases and you can't go wrong. I have owned and used both. I would also use more than the OEM rack. I would use a replacement rack or Givi/Shad mount. Just my two cents!

Hi Wits,

I can only speak to what I did. I re-used my Givi V46 MonoKey from my previous bike. I ended up replacing the stock mounting plate with a Phil's plate with the MonoKey adapter. Phil's plate is a metal plate giving me more piece of mind. If you're going to carry a passenger and the passenger wants to use the top case as a back rest, I would recommend going with the Givi mounting kit for more support if you go with a Givi case.

Since my only experience is with my Givi, I can't offer any advice on other brands.

As for needing to to upgrade the rack or replace it...if you get the Kawasaki case, you don't need to replace the stock plate. If you get any other case, you will probably need to replace at least the mounting plate if not the entire mounting rack. That being said, the Kawasaki case is a re-badged Givi MonoLock (as opposed to a MonoKey, there is a difference) so if the Kawasaki unit is too expensive and you can find the Givi equivalent cheaper, that might be an option. I believe the Givi equivalents to the Kawasaki cases are the E370 (39 liter) and E470 (47 liter).

I'm still very happy with my Coocase, but it's more expensive than most want to spend.

I really like the key less entry, since it goes well with the C14 idea of not digging for keys when I want in it.

Attached is my review that was once posted to (ahem) another forum...

I have a Givi MonoKey on my old bike, and was quite unhappy when the plastic around the hinge broke one day because the corner of my jacket got caught in the edge when I closed the lid.  That was my reason for not considering Givi when I went case shopping for the the C14.

Shad was second on my list.

Attachments

• Coocase_Review.txt
    8.2 KB · Views: 173
+1 on the Coocase.  I just had it installed at Americade.  It is not that expensive, less than a Givi.

I just installed a Givi E55, silver. got the light kit. silver is real close. best looking trunk out there. will send pics tommorrow.

Attachments

• 004 (Medium).JPG
    004 (Medium).JPG
    875 KB · Views: 285
  • 001 (Small).JPG
    001 (Small).JPG
    605.6 KB · Views: 294
bob said:
I just installed a Givi E55, silver. got the light kit. silver is real close. best looking trunk out there. will send pics tommorrow.

+1 (without the light kit). The Silver is a good color that matches most Silvers very well. The case is very nice. But spend the extra few bucks and get the liner. Or the deluxe model that comes with the light kit and liner for a bit less than separate! I couldn't get a deluxe in the time frame when I bought mine (back ordered). So I ordered separately. I could have basically had the light kit for free, had I waited! But the E55 is a nice case!

I have heard of a few people that had issue with the stock plastic rack cracking, causing the top case to come of or be hanging ready to fall off.  There are several options to replace or reinfoce the rack depending on the case you go with.

When I was looking 5-8 yYars ago I could not decide on size, when someone told me bigger is better. You can never have enough room. I ended up with a Givi E52. I have used it on the C14 too, although it will go with the C10 when I sell it.  My plan it too get a E55 or equivalent.  BTW - The black case looks fine on a silver bike.

Pics of Coocase on bike

5858742125_44b0239ae3.jpg

5858742051_f83781a110.jpg

bob said:

Same trunk I have with Phil's rack and love it.  Takes maybe 15 seconds to put on or take off.  Large.  Liner is really nice.  Document holder on the inside of the lid.  Highly recommend based on my experience so far.

I bought a Saddleman case for about $130... don't have a pic of it yet as i am new to this site. It seems to work well, and the mount is held onto the factory luggage rack with about 15 plastic zip straps or zip ties. Ive had the case to about 120mph with the stock windshield and it didn't fly off. It does move a little, but i have checked and rechecked the mount numerous times and found it to be holding. The only problem with the case is the henge pins have vibrated out on the left side. This was quickly fixed by using a piece of coat hanger and black gasket maker to seal off the hole.

rdm197apd said:
I bought a Saddleman case for about $130... don't have a pic of it yet as i am new to this site. It seems to work well, and the mount is held onto the factory luggage rack with about 15 plastic zip straps or zip ties. Ive had the case to about 120mph with the stock windshield and it didn't fly off. It does move a little, but i have checked and rechecked the mount numerous times and found it to be holding. The only problem with the case is the henge pins have vibrated out on the left side. This was quickly fixed by using a piece of coat hanger and black gasket maker to seal off the hole.

rdm197apd, is your real name MacGyver?  All you need is a piece of gum and some peanut shells and you will be able to build a rocket to save the world  :rotflmao:

>:D Yes, bubble gum and peanut shells... The world will beg for mercy!!! Oh snap!, all I have is sugar free gum and a few pistachios, I don't think it will cut it...  ???

rdm197apd said:
>:D Yes, bubble gum and peanut shells... The world will beg for mercy!!! Oh snap!, all I have is sugar free gum and a few pistachios, I don't think it will cut it...  ???

:rotflmao:

Sparko said:
What top case works best for passenger comfort?

Honestly, depends on the size of your passenger.  I have the GIVI E55 with Phils Rack so it is not adjustable but my passenger is around 105lbs and has more than enough room.  She even has to skoot back to lean on the case but I have heard others complain that there isn't enough room with that set-up. 

I am looking at a 2010 with the Kawasaki top box. How do you guy rate it for function and passenger comfort?

I got the coocase S48 astra from twisted throttle. I got one of their show flow open box ones for $150 with the liner and light kit. Couldn't be happier. The remote is a nice touch.

I have a Givi E52 and a Phil's Rack, which is fantastic.  The case comes off in 5 seconds if I want, and stays on tight when it should stay on.  I got a great deal on a used E52 which is why I picked it.  :)  I had a JC Whitney on before, it just wasn't the quality I prefer.

The Phil's rack is definitely worth getting too, especially if you will have a passenger that is going to lean up against your case. The stock plastic rack just isn't solid enough.

I'm a newby and I read this forum and it doesn't seem that anyone has the kawasaki cases. I was looking at those but are they not the way to go?

It appears to be a restamped GIVI case. I've got a saddleman that works well as a top case only, not a back rest. Since we had our first child, THE WIFE has not been on the back of my scoot anyway. I believe i paid @130 for it.

streetglide said:
I'm a newby and I read this forum and it doesn't seem that anyone has the kawasaki cases. I was looking at those but are they not the way to go?

As just stated, it is a Givi case with a Kawasaki label. But you can get a much better case for the same money by just buying a normal Givi, Shad, etc. So most people don't want to pay the premium for the Kawasaki cases. Plus people have had to wait quite a long time for color matched tops Kawasaki sells to go with them. I personally feel you can get a better case and rack by not buying the Kawasaki case. And just buying aftermarket!