• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help! My Connie smells like pee when I start it.

Tmac the Elder

Training Wheels
In a nutshell; I live on a farm and have been leaving my 09 Connie under the motorcycle cover up by the house. This morning, I started the 09 up and, after it warmed up, I started to smell the distinct odor of urine. There was also a moderate amount of smoke coming up from the front of the cockpit. My wife believes it may be due to critters building a nest somewhere under the tupperware. Try as we might, we couldn't locate a nest by looking around from the outside. So, it seems I'll have to do some major internal inspecting which means major tupperware removal. Any advice about what this condition may have resulted from and how to fix it would be appreciated. I should also relate that I haven't ridden for almost a month.

Thanks, Tim

I remember a thread from the other forum long ago about a similar problem. It was mice and they ate through the wiring harness. Good luck!

You probably have a mouse nest in your bike, maybe even with some baby mice in it. You better inspect all your wire harnesses for damage.

That definitely sounds like a critter problem for sure. On a farm, outside, under a cover. Home sweet home for the little guys!  :(

Not to belabor the issue, but my experience also points to MICE.  Either the carcass or the nest, they tend to wander into warm areas (relative to ambient) like a block after the last ride, and burrow in.  Then when fired up, either they die from a sparkplug shock or other process, and they cook off and stink up the place.

Good luck - pull the tank and see what you find!

Is it by chance silver?
kjeriwqu3.gif

Ok I'm sorry, my bad I know you said it was an 09, I just couldn't resist the setup...
facepalm.gif
hiding.gif
smiley_smackbottom.gif
  :truce:

Thanks to all who responded!
You all re-enforced just how smart my wife truely is. Now I have to add mice to the scourge list that contains deer and spiders as critters who make motorcycling a little unfun at times.
It amazed me how quickly the smoke began to roll upward after a started my bike. I'll find out the damage later this week, if the weather permits...
Gregg, received the windscreen which was in like-new condition. Thanks.
No ZG, if it was silver it would have probably been a skunk issue as they stink much worse.

:)

Hideous creatures.  I have the problem in my garage.

Nighthawk S: They crawled up into my air intake and built a nest in the air cleaner assembly.  Died, and the resulting rot smell still permeates in the garage. 

Kawasaki ZX-11: Crawled up under the seat and destroyed all the wiring to my alarm system. 

Honda Dream: Got behind one of the side covers and started eating the 45 year old wiring. 

Worst...Shelby Charger: A small community got inside the car and lived throughout a winter.  The ammonia from their piss discolored the plastic and the odor is most likely permanent.  Also chewed up my hood pad. 

Bobby M. said:
Are you sure a cat didn't just spray on your header? I hope it wasn't mice...
The cats by my house love to spray the lower fairing of my '08. Well, at least 1 of them does. It gives off a pretty good (bad) odor when I first start riding it. Check for streaking on the lower fairings, they seem to prefer the left side of my bike. The smoke may be unrelated. If I let my bike sit for more than a couple weeks it smokes for a few minutes from the dust that collects on the headers.

Got a giggle out me....funny thread title! hehe.  Made me want to say......mine too, but after about 150mph!  :rotflmao:

Been fighting the mice myself. Never a problem until this year and they had to travel out into the garage to get to the bike. The four wheeler sits along the wall and the bike next to it. Ignored the four wheeler as it must be to open for them. Was reading on a ATV forum about mice problems and thought I better check my machines. Happened to see a small bit of fiberglass wall insulation caught under a hose above and in front of the left footpeg. Pulled the battery covers and found a wad of fiberglass insulation fron garage walls behind the battery. Pulled both side fairings and another wad of insulation on top of engine. Removed all the nest material and checked for chewing damage and found none so hope I have dodged a bullet. Checked online and mothballs and peppermint oil are supposed to repell rodents. Have mothball cakes in plastic hangers from Walmart hanging inside the side vents. Also saturated the garage with traps. Just have to remember to remove the moth ball cakes when going for a ride which I did not do the other day until a ways down the road!

94gixxerod said:
Thanks to all who responded!
You all re-enforced just how smart my wife truely is. Now I have to add mice to the scourge list that contains deer and spiders as critters who make motorcycling a little unfun at times.
It amazed me how quickly the smoke began to roll upward after a started my bike. I'll find out the damage later this week, if the weather permits...
Gregg, received the windscreen which was in like-new condition. Thanks.
No ZG, if it was silver it would have probably been a skunk issue as they stink much worse.

:)

Exellent! Hope it works for you.