• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help!! My Face is Cold and My Glasses Fog Up

The balaclava is important.  The one I prefer is sold at ****'s; the Seirus Thick & Thin Headliner ($20).  It has a fairly sheer top part and a thicker fleece-type bottom.  The thinner material top makes it much more comfortable under a helmet than most balaclavas (and I've tried a bunch). 

For really cold weather, I bought one of those cheap neoprene ski masks; the ones that cover you cheeks, mouth, and nose, and Velcro connect in the back.  I trimmed back the nose area so that none of my breath coming out of my nose contacts it.  And I cut off the sides that go around to back and instead tuck the flaps under the cheek pads of my helmet.  This keeps from having too much bulk under your helmet while keeping it in place.  I also have found that Warm Skin topical lotion does a great job of helping insulate any exposed skin that's left, like the tip of your nose and under your eyes.

Because of the glasses, I ride with my face shield cracked to the first detente position.  You get some cold air, but with all the other measures in place, it is an acceptable trade off for clear vision.  Because I always have one of those fleece "neck socks" on, I don't go with the chin curtain.  For me, the curtain cuts down on the air flow so much that there isn't as much as to keep your glasses clear. 

Just my two cents...

I think some of it has to do with your helmet, as well.  To wit, when it's cold, I wear a neck tube (not sure what it's called).

With my older helmet, my glasses would fog up (as would the face shield).  It was an older Nolan helmet, that I got used.

With my newer helmet (an HJC BT IS-MAX), my glasses don't seem to fog up.  The face shield doesn't either, but that may be because I've got a pinlock insert in it.

On the rare occasion that my glasses do fog up a little, now, I do what Solomookie said, and crack my shield to the first detente position.

On my C10, though, this gets me comfortably to work and back (~20 mile round trip) on days when it's as cold as 17F.  That's as cold as I've ridden...

Get a Shoei Neotec, it won't fog even if you sneeze in it riding in cold temps and has a removable piece that goes under the chin for warmth, remove the chin piece in the summer and put it back in for the winter.  :great: :great:

ZG said:
Get a Shoei Neotec, it won't fog even if you sneeze in it riding in cold temps  :great: :great:

He's talking about his glasses fogging, ZG; not the shield.  I have a Neotec; the pin lock shield on them is the slickest thing since sliced bread when it comes to preventing fog on the shield, but it doesn't keep my glasses from fogging.

Solomookie said:
ZG said:
Get a Shoei Neotec, it won't fog even if you sneeze in it riding in cold temps  :great: :great:

He's talking about his glasses fogging, ZG; not the shield.  I have a Neotec; the pin lock shield on them is the slickest thing since sliced bread when it comes to preventing fog on the shield, but it doesn't keep my glasses from fogging.

Ah gotcha.  :beerchug:

Thanks much for the replies and advice, I did buy a balaclava, and it was better. I also switched to my "safety glasses" instead of my everyday glasses and that helped also because they did fit closer to my face. I will also try the helmet suggestions, hopefully the first detente position will be less air than I have now.

Go by your local SCUBA diving shop and get some anti-fog to put on your glasses. Alternatively, you can mix up a solution of dish soap and water and use that on your glasses. Apply the solution to your glasses and then just rub them 'til they're dry. Don't rinse them.

Under helmet balaclava thick/thin, sorry don't remember where I bought it-maybe REI, the pinlock shield.

Ranger Jim said:
Go by your local SCUBA diving shop and get some anti-fog to put on your glasses. Alternatively, you can mix up a solution of dish soap and water and use that on your glasses. Apply the solution to your glasses and then just rub them 'til they're dry. Don't rinse them.

They also sell a spray at your local hockey gear store for plastic visors on helmets that works well and probably cheaper then a scuba store.

I have a knit cap that I cut the seams at the top so I could pull it down over my neck. Works great.

I'll pretty much echo everything said so far. Balaclava to keep my face/neck warm and crack the face-shield to keep glasses from fogging. I use the wife's conditioner, much like the dish soap suggestion above. Might have to give that a shot just to see if it works any better and my next helmet will have a pinlock.

Go to cycle gear store or. www.cyclegearcom and.buy their freeze out baklava and top with zipper.  Bought one last week was 25 out.  Neck, face and head warm in 25 degrees.  No glass fogging either!

You need to get a Balaclava. It will also help in keeping your glasses from fogging up. Just head over to clandesmotards.net and get the Cordoba evo hood. I purchased it last month at a great price of € 39.13.

cagoule-moto-cordoba-evo.jpg