• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help! Power Loss and Surging

rlievenski4555

While riding my beautiful red girl, I went to pass by rolling on the throttle. Surprisingly, she surged on and off power while passing. After that, I had more episodes of power loss and surging barely getting home. The gas was down to less than an 80 mile range. I also recently ran a tank through with Lucas fuel injection cleaner. The prior owner had to work on the fuel pump before buying her with 9K on her. Now she has 22K. I ordered a new bag filter from Murphs and will replace what is there as soon as I can. It would seem that restricted fuel flow from a clogged filter could cause pressure loss and surging.

FYI. The valves were checked and brought to spec this spring with 15.4K. ECU flashed. BW header and Delkavic can. New plugs added at the time. She has been running beautifully all summer.

Please let me know if I seem to be on the right track.

I would say a couple things.

1) Fuel sock / filter - a likely culprit for sure and aligns with others’ experiences
2) Check the grounds right now. Make certain your grounds are clean and tight as this could result in a dull spark if not.
3) Your air filter has been changed I expect at your valve check? Unless totally crudded up your air filter at this mileage should not cause this but it’s worth a peek.

Note on fuel pressure - surprising with the fuel rail sensors that a drop in pressure doesn’t toss a code but again to bullet #1 several have had exact same experience as you and the sock replacement fixed it.

And BTW - those socks come off VERY dirty, it’s crazy actually…

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I would say a couple things.

1) Fuel sock / filter - a likely culprit for sure and aligns with others’ experiences
2) Check the grounds right now. Make certain your grounds are clean and tight as this could result in a dull spark if not.
3) Your air filter has been changed I expect at your valve check? Unless totally crudded up your air filter at this mileage should not cause this but it’s worth a peek.

Note on fuel pressure - surprising with the fuel rail sensors that a drop in pressure doesn’t toss a code but again to bullet #1 several have had exact same experience as you and the sock replacement fixed it.

And BTW - those socks come off VERY dirty, it’s crazy actually…

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Thanks Wayne! Fingers crossed. Yes… new OEM air filter at the time of the Valve check.

There is no fuel rail sensor on these bikes. There is a hi pressure fuel filter shown in the DFI section of the FSM but not shown in the parts listing. It is available as a Suzuki spare part, some models of which use the same fuel pump. It's rare that this filter gets blocked but a few folks have found the only way to solve the surging issue is to replace the complete fuel pump after replacement suction socks and pump elements have not done so.

Last edited:
I decided to buy a rebuild kit with a fuel pressure regulator and all the O rings from The Fuel Pump Factory. Seems silly to not do it while I have the tank opened up. Will report results in a few days.

Finished the rebuild and she is running better than ever! Smooth and rapid power delivery throughout the rev range. I am super happy that it was an easy and relatively inexpensive fix.

Wayne and others were right. The filter sock and mating plate of the pump assembly were full of sludge. You can see the sock and the dried solids from the plate in the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1573.jpeg
    IMG_1573.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1574.jpeg
    IMG_1574.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1576.jpeg
    IMG_1576.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Reactions: Bud