• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Here for some info

jacks_s13.5

Big Wheel
Hello all, My name is Jack Ward, I live in Raleigh NC, and I am a student at NCSU and  I might be getting a non-running 1994 concours from a friend of mine for free. Its gonna need a good amount of work and honestly the bike isn't exactly what I want in a bike but I have seen a few naked concourses that I thought looked really good. So I'm thinking heck for free how bad could the bike be? Truly I'd like a dual-sport bike because I grew up riding dirt bikes but I don't think a 500cc or 600cc thumper would move my fat rear end around like I'd like it to. I love cafe racers but I want to make my own so buying one already cafe'd out is not what I want, and the only other way you find them is either pristine and for an arm and a leg or in pieces without a title. So I might just get this "connie" from my buddy and see what fun I can have with it. I rode it before he let it sit in his garage for a long time and I loved it. It was peppy and felt good.

I love this bike here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkwz_VE2aME&feature=related

Well, yeah. It is running.  :-\    Nice front brake lever and rightside mirror too!    The youtube says it is a 97 but you stated it is a 94?  Yet the youtube video bike has pre 94 front brakes AND a post 93 instrument cluster? Looks rather cobbled together. Even the mufflers are not stock So something ain't right here.

Oh no sorry, I should have clarified that I ran across that bike on the internet while researching. I know absolutely nothing about it. I just love the way that bike looks and if I do end up with that bike of my friends then I hope that video will serve as some what of an inspiration. 

I'll also add some more information about the bike. It was purchased from a guy for only $400, he needed rent money, it was ridden a few times then sat in the garage neglected because of other projects. My friend claims it needs the carbs rebuilt and new wheel bearings but he doesn't know anymore about bikes than I do. I haven't heard this bike run in over a year so it could be more or less problems than stated. In your opinion, if you care to contribute, would a bike that needs that much work be worth it even if was free? I don't mind working on and learning about motors. I have a small bit of experience with bikes but much much more experience with cars, so I 'm hoping to get this thing and learn along the way what I need to know. I don't know why he thinks its wheel bearings but I hope those aren't too hard to replace, also if I could properly rebuild the carbs how hard would they be to sync after I got them back on. Are these bikes generally forgiving mechanically speaking? I know there is a wealth of information out there on this bike and I'd like to hear what everyone on here has to say about it before I go running down to get that "free" bike. I know nothing is free but even if I drop $500 in parts that's still a decent price for a bike.

The Jack Ward said:
I'll also add some more information about the bike. It was purchased from a guy for only $400, he needed rent money, it was ridden a few times then sat in the garage neglected because of other projects. My friend claims it needs the carbs rebuilt and new wheel bearings but he doesn't know anymore about bikes than I do. I haven't heard this bike run in over a year so it could be more or less problems than stated. In your opinion, if you care to contribute, would a bike that needs that much work be worth it even if was free? I don't mind working on and learning about motors. I have a small bit of experience with bikes but much much more experience with cars, so I 'm hoping to get this thing and learn along the way what I need to know. I don't know why he thinks its wheel bearings but I hope those aren't too hard to replace, also if I could properly rebuild the carbs how hard would they be to sync after I got them back on. Are these bikes generally forgiving mechanically speaking? I know there is a wealth of information out there on this bike and I'd like to hear what everyone on here has to say about it before I go running down to get that "free" bike. I know nothing is free but even if I drop $500 in parts that's still a decent price for a bike.

If you have the inclination, the carbs are most likely gummed up beyond all normal running.  We have a member in Florida, SISF (http://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/products-and-pricing).  For $300, you get the complete carb service and overflow as well as enhancements.  The bearings are under $50 for both front and rear.  You may need some extra things to do it all, but it's a great bike that when riden regularly is a lot of fun.

Cap'n Bob said:
This is a pretty good place for answers when getting a older bike running again! Welcome!
Bob sorry this is a GREAT place for that.  Welcome Jack.  It is a good platform to play with.

Welcome to the group.

Sounds like you have little or no motorcycle experience. So proceed slowly and ask lots of questions.

We will gladly help on this Forum. But, the best thing you can do is to try to find someone in your area to look at the bike and offer suggestions.

The bike in your video has Cobra Mufflers on it to get the sound.
Idle sounds really strange to me, almost like it has a serious cam.
BUt I suspect something isn't right.  Maybe it's just cold.
It sounds rough and the throttle responce is sluggish... Most Connies would hit 7000+ rpm's if you whacked the throttle that much.

Ride safe, Ted

I'm sure that I'll be asking a ton of questions, I have already become acquainted with the search bar. Well I love fixing stuff and customizing and all that jazz. I know that the Concours is not the go to bike for choppers/bobbers/cafe racers/blah blah but through my research I've seen that the Concours is a great platform and a great bike. I love how naked concourses look and truly I'm not looking to race anyone but on the other hand I'm not looking for a touring bike I'm really only gonna commute with this thing and take it out for short rides. I know these things don't get stupid amazing mileage like some bikes but it should be better than a car. My current plan (although plans always change) is to get the bike, diagnose it, hopefully all it'll really need is a good tune up and I'll be ready. I figured I'd check the valves, clean the carbs, new plugs, new air filter, new battery and see where that takes me.

I would check the tank for rust too.  It is a common problem and will mess up a set of clean carbs/petcock faster then you can kick yourself.

smithr-scad said:
I would check the tank for rust too.  It is a common problem and will mess up a set of clean carbs/petcock faster then you can kick yourself.

Thats something I wouldnt have thought about, thank you! I love how informative this place is!

The Jack Ward said:
I'm sure that I'll be asking a ton of questions, I have already become acquainted with the search bar. Well I love fixing stuff and customizing and all that jazz. I know that the Concours is not the go to bike for choppers/bobbers/cafe racers/blah blah but through my research I've seen that the Concours is a great platform and a great bike. I love how naked concourses look and truly I'm not looking to race anyone but on the other hand I'm not looking for a touring bike I'm really only gonna commute with this thing and take it out for short rides. I know these things don't get stupid amazing mileage like some bikes but it should be better than a car. My current plan (although plans always change) is to get the bike, diagnose it, hopefully all it'll really need is a good tune up and I'll be ready. I figured I'd check the valves, clean the carbs, new plugs, new air filter, new battery and see where that takes me.

Jack, in this note you sound a lot more experienced than you did in your first note. My apologies if I read the first one wrong.
Let us know if we can help.
Ride safe, Ted