• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hi-Flo verses Stock Air Filter

kzz1king

I have been using the Hi-Flo filters for the last 50k. Have seen all the arguments that its restrictive and effects performance. I dont buy it but decided I cant say much if I havnt used both so I pulled a almost new Hi-Flo and installed stock.

For the last 20k or more I have averaged 37 mpg. We will see if stock does better. I think 37 is pretty good for where and how I ride.

Place your bets now.

Attachments

• PXL_20230522_185744956.jpg
    PXL_20230522_185744956.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20230522_180730915.jpg
    PXL_20230522_180730915.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20230522_180659725.jpg
    PXL_20230522_180659725.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20230522_180504210.jpg
    PXL_20230522_180504210.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 84
Does this make sense? Does the computer adjust to compensate for the air flow?

"Because if a filter is dirty or more restrictive, you are going to be getting less air through it which also means less fuel, however to maintain the same speed you will have to open the throttle more to allow more air and fuel in. You need the same amount of air/fuel to produce the same power, if the filter is more restrictive you just have to use more throttle."

KZZ, my bet is the OEM filter will give you better mileage.

But, I'm not saying that because the OEM is any better.
ie; Your mileage will be better because your aware you're doing a comparo' and (even without thinking about it) you'll drive justa' tiny bit easier. <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

KZZ, my bet is the OEM filter will give you better mileage.

But, I'm not saying that because the OEM is any better.
ie; Your mileage will be better because your aware you're doing a comparo' and (even without thinking about it) you'll drive justa' tiny bit easier. <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted
Nah, this is long term. I dont think there will be a change, almost sure of it, but I have to at least try a stock filter once so I can tell those high falutin, Michelin tires, factory is better, Amsoil drinking buggers to stick it. 😁😵‍💫😂

I enjoyed pickin' on ya, but I wuz mostly trying make a point that results of tests can be skewed (often un-intentionally) by the tester.
& I suspect that changin' yer oil to XXX brand will have more effect. <another evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I enjoyed pickin' on ya, but I wuz mostly trying make a point that results of tests can be skewed (often un-intentionally) by the tester.
& I suspect that changin' yer oil; to XXX brand will have more effect. <another evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted
All you would be doing riding with me is smelling that coconut oil I use.....because you would be behind me 😂

Regardless of filter used...do you people vacuum out the inlet area while you have the old filter out....or am I the only one that does that?
If somebody were to ask why somebody that only cleans the bugs off his windshield 2-3 times a year (me :whistle: ) would worry about a few bugs
and pieces of grit inside the intake area below the filter...I really couldn't give you an answer. I can't think of a practical reason to go through the
trouble, but I can't seem to be able to just slap a new filter in there without getting out the vacuum first. I tried once but in a few minutes I pulled out the new filter and started to vacuum out the area. Do I need counseling? (well yes, of course I do, but I mean specifically for this problem.)

20231014_201926.jpg

Riding season almost done for me. Previous average mileage (over 20,000 miles?) was 37.1 on the hi flo.
40.0 in the last 7,318 miles on the stock. Not sure what it means, maybe the winds were more favorable for me. I think I rode it like I always do. I don't know but I said I would report back.

Attachments

• PXL_20231016_013316530.jpg
    PXL_20231016_013316530.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 30
That's quite a change!
Have you changed anything other than the Filter?
Did you change yer Coconut Oil too? (See Post #6)

Ride safe, Ted

That's quite a change!
Have you changed anything other than the Filter?
Did you change yer Coconut Oil too? (See Post #6)

Ride safe, Ted
Lol, still running the oil 😀. Only thing changed was a speeding ticket earlier in the season (not on the bike surprisingly) so I was gunshy for a bit but got over that. Just not sure what to think yet.

I've never vacuumed out grit/bugs.
Don't recall seeing any in there.
But, {after seeing that photo} I'm sure as heck gonna look the next I do a filter change. :eek:

Ride safe, Ted

Lol, still running the oil 😀. Only thing changed was a speeding ticket earlier in the season (not on the bike surprisingly) so I was gunshy for a bit but got over that. Just not sure what to think yet.
Po-po never bother me on the bikes, regardless of what I do. (I don't make a habit of behaving like an idiot in an active school zone, though.)

4-wheeled, conveyances, on the other hand...