• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

High Beam Indicator Light

vmag83

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how bright the high beam indicator light is?  I feel like I'm driving in a blue spot light at night.  It's also somewhat distracting as well - you have all the normal traffic sign reflections as well as a little blue beam shining in your face.  I bet a lower wattage bulb would help...

Someone said the same thing a little while back. It maybe as bright or brighter than others bikes I have/had! But I personally don't find it a problem. But of course I try to limit my night riding to a minumum if possible.

For me it's not like I can't see because of it.  it's not a million candles burning my eyes.  But it's a terrific reminder in my peripheral vision that the high beams are on.

I hate it, it drives me nuts.

I suspect it's that bright so you can still see it in full daylight.  Given how much tech Kawi put on this bike, they really should have put in a photo cell, and toned it down when the ambient light was low.  The added component and circuitry would have added a few more pennies to the cost of the bike, but well worth it.

C1xRider said:

I suspect it's that bright so you can still see it in full daylight.  Given how much tech Kawi put on this bike, they really should have put in a photo cell, and toned it down when the ambient light was low.  The added component and circuitry would have added a few more pennies to the cost of the bike, but well worth it.

Doesn't bother me at all.

They should invest in better grade instrument plastic that doesn't melt in the sun before doing any thing else.  ^-^

I agree. But redoing the display, so that the warning doesn't take over the whole display would be nice also. IMO, the dash display/ gauge cluster has always been one of the main area's that needs improvement on the C14. But I wouldn't hold my breath!

xjrguy said:
C1xRider said:

Doesn't bother me at all.

They should invest in better grade instrument plastic that doesn't melt in the sun before doing any thing else.  ^-^

Be warned!
My old Z1300 had a bright yellow warning light for low fuel.
It was really irritating when riding in the rain as the beads of water would glow yellow.
So, I covered the light with some masking tape to mute it's brightness.
The very next day I ran out of gas 2 miles from a gas station.  :-[

Only 2 miles you say,... did you ever push a 700lb motorcycle uphill (it was only a gentle incline) for 2 miles?
This was after I walked there and back (they didn't have any gas cans left).
So, 6 miles, 2 of them pushing "The Beast".
Once I'd filled up I tore the tape off and lived with the bright light from then on.

I would have poured out a water bottle or something and filled it with enough fuel to get me back to the station!  ;)

Boomer said:
Be warned!
My old Z1300 had a bright yellow warning light for low fuel.
It was really irritating when riding in the rain as the beads of water would glow yellow.
So, I covered the light with some masking tape to mute it's brightness.
The very next day I ran out of gas 2 miles from a gas station.  :-[

Only 2 miles you say,... did you ever push a 700lb motorcycle uphill (it was only a gentle incline) for 2 miles?
This was after I walked there and back (they didn't have any gas cans left).
So, 6 miles, 2 of them pushing "The Beast".
Once I'd filled up I tore the tape off and lived with the bright light from then on.

The light never bothered me until now since you mentioned it.  Anyway I usually concentrate on the road so nothing on the dash ever bothers me.

Gigantor said:
The light never bothered me until now since you mentioned it.  Anyway I usually concentrate on the road so nothing on the dash ever bothers me.

Can you even see anything way down there on the dash. That's a long ways down!  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
Someone said the same thing a little while back. It maybe as bright or brighter than others bikes I have/had! But I personally don't find it a problem. But of course I try to limit my night riding to a minumum if possible.

That was me, I had written up a procedure for reducing the brightness of
that LED on the old forum.

Mick

KawiMick said:
Cap'n Bob said:

That was me, I had written up a procedure for reducing the brightness of
that LED on the old forum.

Mick

Is it possible to wright up something on this Mick (if you still remember the particulars). Others may find this helpful. My understanding is that all that past info may have been lost forever!  :'(