• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

High Gorge Winds

JTop28

Training Wheels
I really don't want another number, but I'll share that I dropped the bike at a stop sign... twice, thanks to really high Columbia Gorge winds. Once each side. Two broken footpeg brackets. One completely off and one just cracked. Luckily 2 guys stopped and helped me push the bike around so I could get the bike going with the wind and home. Left foot on the cracked peg and right foot on the passenger peg. Parts are already on order. Grateful for the help, but not feeling 2015. :truce:

Man what a bummer....At least you weren't under it...right?

I've been saved many a day by my tip over bars.  So glad I got an order when I did.  Not as sexy, but neither are broken foot pegs. 

Hope it's a quick fix and you're back riding in no time.

Yeah not only can the Gorge winds be zipping through there, some of them bridges kinda suck. The two together have provided its share of tight sphincter moments.

I've had those same sphincter-clenching moments on the Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge across the Potomac, connecting the Tidewater to the mainland south of DC.  It is NOT a nice bridge - a high, steep, narrow two-lane with heavy truck traffic, the bridge not only noticeably sways in the high winds and changing loads, but it has a significant amount of grating.  I was trying (succesfully) to avoid the DC Beltway, but it was the wrong call.  Following US301 south through that area ran me down about 40 miles worth of suburban sprawl to Hanover.  I'd have been better off on the Beltway.  Live and learn.

Glad your damage was so minor.  I was honestly concerned that I might have gone over the side of that bridge. 

Finally rode the Mackinac Bridge this summer both directions. Steel grate in moderate cross winds and barely missed pooping my pants and cryin' for my mommy. That thing is a monster..drawfs the Golden Gate wow.
Buck up J28 it's just a right of passage that behind you.

Got all my parts yesterdayin the mail. Replaced both footpeg mounting brackets, and put the new rear tip over bars on lastnight. This weekend I'll get the front tip over bars put on.  :great:

gottaride said:
Finally rode the Mackinac Bridge this summer both directions. Steel grate in moderate cross winds and barely missed pooping my pants and cryin' for my mommy. That thing is a monster..drawfs the Golden Gate wow.>>>SNIP<<<

Piece of cake John.... ;D  I enjoy looking down through the grating as you cross. Sometimes you're lucky enough that a freighter is passing below at the same time....  Back in '89 a Yugo flew off the bridge & the car took the plunge into the straights of Mackinac :-\

gottaride said:
Finally rode the Mackinac Bridge this summer both directions. Steel grate in moderate cross winds and barely missed pooping my pants and cryin' for my mommy. That thing is a monster..drawfs the Golden Gate wow.
Buck up J28 it's just a right of passage that behind you.

Rode this years ago......... good thing only the center lanes are grating.  :-\

ChipDoc said:
I've had those same sphincter-clenching moments on the Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge across the Potomac, connecting the Tidewater to the mainland south of DC.  It is NOT a nice bridge - a high, steep, narrow two-lane with heavy truck traffic, the bridge not only noticeably sways in the high winds and changing loads, but it has a significant amount of grating.  I was trying (succesfully) to avoid the DC Beltway, but it was the wrong call.  Following US301 south through that area ran me down about 40 miles worth of suburban sprawl to Hanover.  I'd have been better off on the Beltway.  Live and learn.

Glad your damage was so minor.  I was honestly concerned that I might have gone over the side of that bridge.

Riddin' over that bridge MANY times...first time I took that route from Richmond to DE to avoid summer traffic on 95, I dind't realize that bridge would be so high...talk about terrified! Got used to it though -it's not really that bad, just seems it, and Connie is REALLY stable if you just trust her. Plus I learned to keep  her geared down - probably third - so I could accelerate a bit if I felt a gust from a truck.

The worst part is people really tend to tailgate on that bridge, especially going down...and there are almost always cops at both ends, so you don't want to get going too fast.

I'll say though, that it's a longer route time-wise than 95, BUT for large segments it's a nicer ride, especially through Fort Hill and Bowling Green area. Yea, Hanover slows down, and Upper Marlboro near route 50 totally sucks, but otherwise you can ride a lot of cruise control through the trees (301 from Bowling Green to Richmond). Much better than jockeying on 95 (done my share there too).

I usually take the Bay Bridge, taking 50 past Annapolis to join the DC Beltway at around the 3:00 position.  It's really not bad at all - and you still get the pleasure of the country roads up the peninsula to rejoin I-95 at Wilmington.  My parents still live up there, but it's been a long time since I was able to visit them.  Sure is a pretty ride though.