• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

hjc cl-17 review

Sininja

Purchased last week for $130.  Feels very light.  Very aerodynamic with great visibility.  Best part of all is the venting.  I'm fat, I sweat when it's 30* out.  I could actually feel air nicely flowing through during my last ride when it was 90* and humid.  Totally impressed and happy with it!  Highly recommended.  I really wanted to treat myself to a Shoei or Arai but while trying everything on back to back this impressed me most and fit my head the best.  It's also very quiet.  Again this is a fantastic helmet regardless of price!

I've tried a few others and go back to HJC because of their fit to my head as well.  thanks for the feedback on that model!  :great:

Pilgrim said:
What color/graphics?

The Redline in Silver/Black
Still can't believe how good this budget lid is...  it's got to be one of the best cycle related purchases I've made in years

wore a cl-14 for years till it was way past time to retire it, it was that comfortable.  the replacement cl-15 I gave away because it simply could not be made to wear for more than a few hours, they changed something about the fit where they dont work for me for extended  trips.  tried using a spoon to compress the foam to get rid of the hot spots but it never worked out.    the cl-16 I replaced  that with works. but the IS-16(the one with the retractable visor)  same thing hotspots after a few hours.    I like hjc, the quality and value is one of the best if not the best for value in the business.  its just hit or miss on wither  I can wear them for extended periods.  i hope you get a good one.

I bought a CL17 to replace my "spare" helmet that I have for the occasional passenger. If I recall, I paid $120 for it, and I'm very impressed. It is at least the equal of my Arai in quality, fit, and finish. Plus, you can change the visor without fear of breaking something (unlike the Arai)! Fit is a subjective thing, as we all have different shaped/sized melons, but based on the CL17's overall package, I'd say this is a terrific helmet.

Love my HJC Modular CL2 I think with the green Zader graphics
$_35.JPG

Fit was good , airflow nice,Not too heavy,  noise was OK with earplugs.Wore it for 3 years and then Went to full face and keep for very infrequent use

HJC make some pretty nice helmets. As the wife is looking to replace her current HJC and can not justify the Shoei expense even though she loves the fit, finish and secure feeling the HJC line continues to be a player.

Been using HJC helmets for serval years. Looking for a new one since my favorite one has been dropped serval times and black is to damm hot. Will check out the cj17

I was recently in the market for a new helmet and gave very serious consideration to a CL-17. Great reviews and some good prices were found ($84 plus shipping). Looked seriously at one of their “pre-distressed” racer models, but decided against it (too ugly, IMO). See for yourself:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_17_victory_helmet.html

In the end, my inner cheapskate won out and I went with a Scorpion Flip for $75 plus shipping:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/scorpion/exo_r410_split_helmet.html

Again, good reviews, and having had some time using it, I find it comfortable, well vented, and relatively quiet. It is Snell and DOT certified, and though unattractive on some levels (love being a rolling billboard for Scorpion), I can’t see it when I wear it so I don’t sweat that too much. I would prefer a ratchet-type buckling arrangement, but for $75, what do you expect?

Further, for those truly susceptible to the siren song of COG frugality, there is the mega questionable (IMO) Scorpion model:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/scorpion/exo_r410_split_helmet_blue_orange_color.html

However, for a dual Snell and DOT approved helmet for $50, how ugly can it be? Almost went for this, but opted to pay a little more for the Creamsicle look. So vain!

Ted--