• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Holy Cow! How could I let this happen!

Cognisant

So I guess my brand new Connie now has a "used patina".  I had just finished installing 2" risers and I decided to sit on her while she was on the center stand while still on the lift. The lowest position is still about 7 inches off the floor. I liked the new fit of the handlebars so I made the decision to take her for a road test.

While sitting on it, I decided to rock her forward to get her off the center stand, something I had often done easily many times with my V-Strom. I had some difficulty doing this and so I made more vigorous pushes. The next thing I know she's going over on the right side - kind of slow motion while I struggled to stop her, or, at least, slow her descent down to the garage floor. What a sad sight.

SAM_1064.JPG

SAM_1061.JPG

At first I had to extricate my right foot from my shoe which was caught under the bike - pinned by the brake foot lever. How I didn't break my ankle is amazing to me. Thank goodness for the canyon cages already installed!

A couple of strong young neighbors got my Connie back up on the lift table - my sore back and shoulders were not up to the job. A cursory inspection revealed very little damage. Amazingly, a low horizontal scratch on the windscreen, small scratch on the front wheel slider, small scratch on the right bar end weight, some black paint (off the lift platform) on the exhaust can, and, a small abrasion on the rear canyon cage. Nothing major. A lot of the fall was slowed by contact with my Suzuki DR-Z beside it (which was pushed over as well) and the right bar end landing on a small plastic patio table (punching a hole through it but braking the fall quite a bit and keeping it suspended off the floor!).

The protection devices did their job! Well worth the investment. Are you listening, you guys that are too proud to similarly equip your bikes?

Damage to my body: no bruises. Right foot caught underneath is OK. Right shoulder is very sore - it was jammed pretty hard when I put out my right arm falling toward the garage floor.

I'm very lucky to have experienced a relatively small amount of damage - to both of us.  :)

Almost made me sick as well.  Glad you and the bike are ok. Sad to see the the DR-Z on the ground as well,  Any damages to it?

Steve said:
Almost made me sick as well.  Glad you and the bike are ok. Sad to see the the DR-Z on the ground as well,  Any damages to it?
The DR-Z already had a few scratches from previous get-offs riding in gnarly terrain. I don't think is suffered any new damage. If it did, it was in a good cause.  ;)

Oh geez, that is terrible.  Thank goodness you had already installed the Canyon Cages.  You'd be astounded at how many drops I see when the victim has the things sitting in the garage waiting for a good time to do the install.  The best time to do the install is BEFORE something like this happens!  Glad that neither you nor Connie were hurt too badly.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 541st recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0537 C10 Jim Polito
0538 C14 Bernard Vance
0539 C14 Harold Massey
0540 C10 Gerald Gaither
0541 C14 Alan G Peck

Sorry to see that happen. Mine was a slow tip over after I'd stopped. Like you, I fought the good fight trying to hold it up. I had to watch a YouTube video to learn how to get it up right again.
It's not the end of the world.
Richard

What a sad sight.  I try to refrain from saying foul words - but if that happened to mine I might make an exception.  :mad:

Canyon Cages are going to be one of my next purchases.

Maybe I had better lower my deductible on my insurance just in case.
It seems like this has to be one of the most prone to tip over bikes I have ever come across.

I'm pretty sure these bikes have a tip over sensor.  What's that for, to tell you something you all ready know but are afraid to look at.  ;D
If it's got a tip over sensor shouldn't they have landing gear that automatically deploys when it senses a tip over coming on at zero - 5 mph?