• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hot weather Jacket

warwgn

Mini Bike
So it's warming up in the south and I am finding my all season tourmaster is not gonna be the ticket once it gets over 75 or 80. I am thinking I will need to go with just a mesh jacket, but not sure, I have never been a ATGATT rider but after hitting the deer and only having on blue jeans, boots, a leather jacket and 3/4 open face I see the value in a little protection. I got away some minor road rash on my left hand and scuff on my right knee and a couple broke ribs, did more rolling than sliding. Anyway point is I would like to have some abrasion resistance, I am hard headed so prolly still just wear jeans and boots, but really want to have a jacket too.

I am in Mississippi so summers are hot and humid I ride mostly in the morning and late afternoon since I am a daily motorcycle commuter so want something that flows lots of air. I will use it in June when I take my big trip but will also have my tourmaster 4 season for when I get up north and into Alaska. Just looking for experience and suggestions on what the southern riders have used and had good luck with.

Nothing works for all situations.  If you are doing just morning and afternoon commutes and your commute is 90% moving then a mesh jacket might work.  If you are out for hours in 90+ degrees mess is not the best choice.  That much air sucks all the water out of your body.  In that case I have actually blocked air to let more sweat build giving you more cooling and less loss of water in the long run.  If you want great abrasion resistance though mesh may not be the answer either.  One suit for all situations can work but there will be compromises.  The key is to survive both what is happening and what could happen and that is not easy.

If you are fat and drink soda or alcohol while riding - mesh might exacerbate the situation leading to dehydration and prolonged break time to rehydrate.

However, if you like shade and a breeze when hot - not just shade - check out http://www.motoport.com/product/marathon-air-mesh-jacket/

Thousands of moto-officers wear this for day-long comfort in the saddle day after day; especially in the south. I've got a closet full of Klim and Joe Rocket and everything in between. It's all give-away stuff now.

I spent 44,000 miles in my pants and jacket last year alone - the coolest one of the bunch on any hot day, too. Might seem costly, but 4 $150 jackets can't compete in safety if you wore them all at once. The padding is so good - keeps the entire chest and back and arms protected - not just in tiny parts - and holds the material off your skin so you are literally in the shade and don't feel a jacket on at all. Looks bulky for this reason. Plenty of room for liners when the chill factor sets in. I get by without my heated Gerbings and just a good hooded rain liner until it gets below 40*. But i also use a huge windscreen and hand guards on my bike in the winter.

Wear and tear is hardly existent - even the threads in the stitching are Kevlar - with little care my stuff still looks new. The other 'cool' jacket I saw from Klim was $1300 and had an optional $300 cooling vest liner. What? How much? Made it easy to pick up a quilted cool vest for $35 at a rally and can literally be chilly on a hot day if I wet that sucker and put it in under my jacket. I hardly use it - and am more likely to use it on a hike than on the bike  :great:

Hi,
        Nice post, Fais!

Pretty much lays it out!

As a side note, I heard that they have to have a special sewing machine....

To even sew this stuff!!! :-[

Attachments

• tumblr_olyh8aTuvV1r97ur5o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_olyh8aTuvV1r97ur5o1_500.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 173
Well that sure looked like a great jacket, but budget and all has me on the cheap this year, I opted for the Tourmaster Draft Air 3, in the black and red mesh. I see as you pointed out there are better, but hope I will be happy with this one. My daily commute is only about an hour each way so I know it will be fine for that, but will see how it works out for longer rides.

Now gotta figure out my next dilemma, ram mount for my phone or tank bag. Just had the bracket for my Oxford heated grips break, it was mounted t the clutch perch so I think the vibes just did it in?? strange since it only has about 3000 miles since I mounted it.

I just replaced my old Firstgear MeshTek2 with a Joe Rocket Pheonix Ion.  I have found that having a moisture wiking T-shirt under my mesh works well for me.  I tried riding with just the jacket and found that you can sunburn through mesh.  I was looking at the High Vis, but went with the silver.

For the record I am kind of fat, and I will drink soda, but prefer water on the hot days.

MizzouMike said:
For the record I am kind of fat, and I will drink soda, but prefer water on the hot days.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I forgot to comment on that one, I am skinny Fat, just the old man gut but con only see it when I sit down. I am 6'4" 220Lbs, but I hold water like a camel so dehydration has never been a n issue for me even though I do drink too many cokes and the only water I drink it usually frozen and surrounded by whisky :great:

For me there is nothing that can compare to a Tourmaster Flex jacket for a long trip.  It's the closest thing I've found to true four seasons, so you don't have to pack a second jacket for cold weather.  Stripped down, it is a very nicely armored full mesh jacket that goes all the way up to full textile with rain and quilted liners.

I have an Olympia setup with mesh outer and rain and warmth liners.  I like the way it protects and feels and it does a great job but...  My only real gripe is the rain liner pants.  It is easy to stop and get the jacket liner on but the pant liner is a different issue.  It is just a pain to stop and put something on under your pants.  If I am not sure if it is a short shower or not I just don't bother.  Sometimes I get wetter than I want.  I would buy a Stich but from what I hear they are not that comfy at 80 degrees + and over half my riding is at higher temps.  I may still go that way next time.

I certainly don't recommend this method -- but I seem to use it frequently:

Leave home (CA) on a long trip in a t-shirt and First Gear mesh jacket no liner

Then a couple of days later I find myself in some other state getting really wet and freezing (cause the flimsy liner I zipped in don't do nothing)

So I find a Cyclegear and buy their cheapest "waterproof", "insulated" jacket they have in stock (usually $99 or less), then hit a big sports/outdoors seller for some cheapest long johns and a knockoff turtle fur neck gaitor (usually in hunters orange or camo). Ship First Gear mesh home in a box UPS

Then I complete said long ride in relative comfort.

Hang new cheap so-so gear in closet at home

Next ride, I leave in a t-shirt and First Gear mesh jacket no liner.

[Repeat]

Anybody wanna by a slightly used and rained on Cyclegear bottom of the line jacket? I have several in various colors?

Went for my first short ride at lunch today with the Air 3, and it does flow a good amount of air. Temp was about 75 so cant really say if it kept me cool since it was not hot anyway, but it did have great air flow, I am also impressed with the fit and finish of this jacket, it did come with a rain liner but prolly wont ever use that since rain would be a welcome thing to help cool me off even more, and it if was raining hard enough for long enough I would put on real rain gear anyway ( frog togs is what I plan to get) or just put on my other 4 season gear which I know works in the rain.

I will post again when it gets in the 90's

I've had a Tourmaster mesh for years and years. Still looks almost new! I wear one of those dry fit exercise-type shirts underneath and it is excellent in the hot Texas sun. I would also recommend one of the cooling vests. The Bilt one from Cycle Gear is very effective, and they run sales on them all the time. If you are going to wear jeans, do yourself a favor and get some kevlar lined ones iwth built in knee pads. You'll be glad you did when the worst happens. Ride safe!

I too am looking for a good Spring time, Summer and Fall Jacket.  I need a zip out water proof liner also.  Trying to keep the cost under $300.  All suggestions are appreciated.

I just picked up a 3/4 length mesh jacket.  The Firstgear Adventure mesh.  It 's 3/4 length for us yeti's, full mesh, zip out liner.  I plan to sue it for a 3 season warm jacket, and keep my Kathmandu (2010 version showing it's age) for colder weather in spring and fall.  (maybe squeeze a couple more years out of it before I need to replace it)

should arrive at my door next week, I'll give a more through write up once it gets here and I have a chance to ride in it a bit. 

AAAAaaaannnnndd I just sent back my adventure mesh.

What I thought was going to be a kathmandu made of mesh, turned out to not follow their sizing guide.

So I'm back in the sub $300 3/4 length touring/adventure mesh jacket market. 

Fais said:
Mesh isnt all created equal either - just sayin.....

True dat.  Tighter fitting mesh is less effective.  My old Sedici jacket was a sauna compared
to my 'looser' fitting Hit Air.  Construction and fit make a big difference.

Hi,
        Read "Reply #3" again!!! ;D ;D ;D >:D >:D >:D

Attachments

• 4239fee5bc4842c66e24ff86e6265bb5.jpg
    4239fee5bc4842c66e24ff86e6265bb5.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 129
I discovered last year that the Heat Out base layer line from Cycle gear is surprisingly effective at cooling you by wicking sweat away from your skin and you can catch it on sale pretty cheap. The shorts make a good base layer and keep your lower regions from getting so sweaty. The helmet liner helps too.

Those garments are stretchy polypro/something or other like lycra and are knits that fits tight, so if you're carrying any excess weight, you will look like Mr. Incredible, so be be brave! When you wear it next to your skin as underwear and just a little air flow makes you cooler. Works well under a mesh jacket, but be very careful to keep hydrated. You will not be aware of how much liquid you're losing.

Above about 90 degrees, you're just going to be hot.

In my trips across Nevada and western Texas, I found mesh makes you hotter at speed. I stayed in leathers the whole time.

Granted, when stopped they get uncomfortable. But I was stopped 1/100 of the time. And if stopped for any period of time, I take the leathers off.

only a couple months in to the warmer weather and only in the 90s once but so far been purdy happy with the Tour Master Draft Air 3 Jacket, have not put the rain liner in and tried it to see how it does but it is cold when it rains so prolly wont use that option until full on summer.

seagiant1 said:
Hi,
        Read "Reply #3" again!!! ;D ;D ;D >:D >:D >:D

Are you insinuating I'm fat, and drink soda and/or alcohol when riding?

I'll have you know it's NOT just when I'm riding!!  :nananana:

(I was kinda adding some 'supporting experience' regarding that post....)  ;)