• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How about a KDA????

MizzouMike

Rain Magnet
I rode over 100 miles on dirt, gravel, and mud.  Crossed multiple shallow creeks and across rocks and all kinds of other stuff.  All of that and I end of dropping my KLR in the grass at the end of the day. :-[

It was most likely due to a bit of overconfidence, combined with a lack of concentration and a bit of fatigue.  Unfortunately this is the second bike I have dropped this year.... I hope this isn't becoming a tradition. :'(

Welcome to the dirt!  Don't known how it is for others but for me it's always been not if you are going down but when you're going down.  That was 30 years ago, some D-37 but mostly enduros.  This year I picked up a KLR went out with Mark H into the Piute Range and flopped it down three times in the sand washes.  That's just dirt riding, part of the game.

I wrote it up in the last Southwest News Letter. It's a great primer on what not to do.  That KLR can be a real beast when it's flopped over on its side in the sand.

Bert

MizzouMike said:
I rode over 100 miles on dirt, gravel, and mud.  Crossed multiple shallow creeks and across rocks and all kinds of other stuff.  All of that and I end of dropping my KLR in the grass at the end of the day. :-[

It was most likely due to a bit of overconfidence, combined with a lack of concentration and a bit of fatigue.  Unfortunately this is the second bike I have dropped this year.... I hope this isn't becoming a tradition. :'(

I don't see anything unusual here...  :rotflmao:

We need more details on what actually happened to get the bike's rear end spun around into the shrubbery like that.

Inquiring minds need to know.

I'm sure we would all find it  . . . . hilarious . . . . uh, entertaining. . . . no educational.  Yeah that's it.    :)

What you can not see from the photo is that it is a pretty steep slope behind the house that leads to a small creek.

To the best of my memory,  I went too close to the creek, made my turn and the grass was kind of wet.  The rear started to slip, I grabbed the clutch.  I started to roll backward, locked the front break/wheel which was now sliding on the grass as welll.  My right foot was on the ground, so I couldn't get to the rear break....  I then tried to reengage the clutch, but it was too late, I had fallen over, breaking the fall with my leg, but also breaking one plastic tab on the right side fairing.  ... all of this in about 2.5 seconds.

I dunno, Mike...sounds like you & the KLR need a timeout.

Better bring it here to Larryville & let it do its time in my garage.

:)