• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How do I access the coolant reservoir on my C14

mass

Bicycle
Hi gang, I a new C14 owner and still going through the break in period and the coolant level is just slightly low so I'd like to add a little coolant but haven't attempted to remove fairing part yet. From the information I have, it looks like I have to remove the windshield to get to a single plastic rivet so that I can take off the upper inner fairing panel before I remove the middle fairing panel to get to the coolant bottle. Do I really have to remove the windshield to add coolant? And if I do, what's the deal with the plastic rivet behind the windshield. The other plastic rivets have a phillips head in the middle to unscrew the center to release the split body, but this rivet looks like it has a solid head? How does this simple fastener come out? Thanks in advance Kevin

Kevin Don't want you to think the Forum regulars are ignoring you. Probably all the C14 guys are out riding right now. Unfortunately, I am not yet that well-versed in C14 Speak. I have ordered a shop manual (even though I don't own the bike) but haven't received it yet. I have pinged Fred Harmom, our C14 guru, directly and you should hear from him momentarily. However, I just HAVE to ask: What does the owner's manual say, anyway? The coolant level is an owner-serviceable item. I can't believe that Kawasaki would bury the cap to the resevoir that deep, and suspect (though I sure as heck do not know) there is an easy way. You mentioned "the information I have." Is this the owner's manual? As I said, you should hear from someone soon. Getting answers in the summer on the forum is hard.

Kevin, I just spent 15 minutes typing instructions to you on how to do it. But when I sent it in, it put me back to start. Unfortunately for you I'm not going through this again. So to be much quicker this time. No you don't have to remove the filer panel. Remove the glove box cover. Then the three screws on the filler panel. gently, move it out of the way. Then take off the rear center panel. I hope you get this one. But the first one was much better. If you need more help. Send me an email. Bob Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. To start, you will need to remove the glove box. There are two screw in the rear that hold it on. Then pivot it forward to remove. Next you will need to remove the left side black trim panel. Three screws and one plastic push pin rivet up by the windsheild hold it on. I bend the end of a coathanger over at a right angle and use it to push in on the center of the plastic rivet pin so I don't have to remove the windshield. Once you have the left black panel off, you can then remove the left side middle fairing panel. There is one screw by the glovebox, and three screws at the front of it on the side of the bike, and then the two that hold on the deflector, and one final screw back at the rear. If you have the OEM Kawasaki service manual, the procedures for removing the panels are covered on pages 15-25 (glove box), 15-11 (middle fairing). It really isn't as bad as it sounds, and it gets easier after you have done it once. Just be sure when you put the middle fairing panel back on that you get all the little tabs on the front edge lined up properly. Oh, and one more thing. In addition to checking the coolant in the reservoir, you should also check the actual level in the system by removing the radiator cap. Unfortunately, the radiator cap is on the right side, so you will have to repeat the procedure on this side as well to access it. If you don't have a service manual, I would highly recommend you invest in one. You will need it to do any maintenance on this bike.

Sorry Fred, but I don't agree. I've had mine off many times without having to remove the filler panel. You can move it out of the way to get to any screws. Then you don't have to screw around with the plastic rivet under the windshield. Now I don't think I'm wrong. But my pencils have erasers. And I personally don't find it quicker removing the rivet with the shield on. By the time I get done screwing around with trying to get the rivet out. I can have the shield off and the rivet out in less time. But that's just me personally. Kevin, I'm sorry if I sounded rude on the last post. I typed out all these instructions pretty much the same as Fred. But the Forum bugs just wiped it clean on me, and I had to start over. So I was frustrated. Anyway, I tried to explain about the rivet the first time before it was lost in the system. The rivet is just a plastic holding device. You push in the center slightly (say 1/4"). This will allow you to then pull or lightly pry out the rivet if necessary. Once out the rivet can be reused. You just slide the center push rod back out of the rivet (the opposite way). Now it will be outside the back of the rivet (again say a 1/4" or so). Then you can just gently insert the rivet back into the hole. (make sure all the fingers go into the hole). when the rivet is in flush, then push the center rod that was sticking out of the back, back in flush with the rivet. Now your locked back in. Hope this helps. Bob Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

Yes, you can pull the middle fairing panel without removing the black panel, but the black panel is so easy for me to get off, I usually just pull it. If you leave it on, you will need to make sure you lift the tab on it that fits down into the top part of the middle fairing panel, and you will also have to remove the rear screw that goes into it. But at that point, you are only two screws and one push pin away from having it off. But if you are comfortable leaving it on and working around it, then go for it. There's always more than one way to skin any cat, and the way I skin them is not always the fastest or best, it's just the way I do it.

Hi Guys Thanks for all the information. I apologize for the delay in responding, I didn't know you guys answered my post because I was waiting to get a notice and never received one from the forum. I'm not very good at working the forum. I'm not even sure if you guys will see this response. Anyway, you all answered my questions, I'll follow the procedure outlined in the Shop Manual until I get familiar with the body parts then will probably take a few short cuts next time. The plastic rivet being the simplest part was the one that confused me the most so thanks for the clarification on removing it. My coolant level is exactly even with the low mark when cold so its not extremely low but I'd like to add a little as I work through the break in period. Thanks again Guys ! Regards Kevin COG 145

Hi Guys Just thought I'd let you know that I removed the body panels to access the coolant reservoir over the weekend and actually it was a lot easier that I expected. I removed the windscreen because I was replacing the OEM screen with the Kawasaki tall screen so I coordinated the two activities. The body panels come off relatively easy and removal and re-installation of the windscreen is quick and easy. Thanks again for the tips. Regards Kevin

Glad it worked out for you. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak