• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How do you "clear the tabs" when removing fairing pieces?

gnuse

Moped
Rear Middle Fairing Removal
•Remove the inner cover (see Inner Cover Removal). •For the right side, remove the bolt [A] and right cover .
• Remove:
Bolts [A] with Washers Quick Rivets
○Push the central pin of the quick rivets. •Detach the projection [C], and clear the tabs [D]. •Remove the rear middle fairing [E].

The above is copied from the Kawasaki service manual. After watching the dealer remove my side fairing this weekend, I wondered what the proper way is to remove these panels.

In particular, I am referring to "......, and clear the tabs [D]."    As these tabs appear in a number of places on the fairing, I was wonder how to "clear the tab" without breaking it.

Thanks.

First off. Are we discussing an 08-09 or a 10-11? The redesign may make the information different and could confuse people.

It depends on the particular panel you are referring to. For instance, at the top rear corner of the front lower panel, there is a very tiny tab that interfaces with the panel above it and you have to pull back on the lower panel until this tab is free of the upper panel or else you will break it off. I went into a lot of detail on my videos to show the places where you have to be careful so you don't break off any tabs and so you get everything back on properly and lined up when you reinstall. It's pretty tough to describe in words, you really need to see it to understand how the panels interface and lock together.

<shameless plug>

If you have Fred's videos with the update for the 2010+ he shows how it all comes apart and goes back together :) 

</shameless plug>

:))

ScreenShot2011-11-14at123123PM.png

I am referring to the tabs "A" in this photo from the service manual.  I am particularly referring to the one on the right. The tabs have a pointy shape that appears to lock them into the adjoining panel, somewhat like an arrow on the the end. The tab on the left side of "A" in the picture is not shaped like this and simply slots in without a locking "snap", more for locating than holding I would say.

When the people at the dealership took the right panel off to replace it, I was surprised by the loud snap as the tab came out. I was surprised that the tab didn't break off. Of course going back on/into the slot is easy as the arrow shaped tab slips into the slot. This panel was crushed during transport during a dealer transfer, but that is another story with a good ending.

gnuse said:
ScreenShot2011-11-14at123123PM.png

I am referring to the tabs "A" in this photo from the service manual.  I am particularly referring to the one on the right. The tabs have a pointy shape that appears to lock them into the adjoining panel, somewhat like an arrow on the the end. The tab on the left side of "A" in the picture is not shaped like this and simply slots in without a locking "snap", more for locating than holding I would say.

When the people at the dealership took the right panel off to replace it, I was surprised by the loud snap as the tab came out. I was surprised that the tab didn't break off. Of course going back on/into the slot is easy as the arrow shaped tab slips into the slot. This panel was crushed during transport during a dealer transfer, but that is another story with a good ending.

The tab on the right with the A and arrow pointing to it has a ridge on it. This ridge helps lock it in place, and this is what you hear "snap" when you separate those two panels. It's a bit of a pain to get them apart. If you look at the lower panel real close, you'll also find some small rubber pads that act to push the panels together and lock and hold that tab in place. Pushing inboard on the upper panel at the point of the tab while pulling it up will help release the ridge, but you have to work at it. It also helps if you release the screws that hold the bottom panel on so it can flex while you are removing it. This is probably the most difficult panel on the bike to remove due to the way it snaps together on this lower section. On the 08 and 09 bikes it was real easy, but they completely changed it in 2010. You just have to do it a few times to get a feel for how it comes apart. The first couple of times you do it, you'll probably feel like you are breaking it, because it really does "snap" when it releases.

The tab I was referring to earlier about being careful not to break is located up higher on the mid forward panel, and the tab is around where the mirror mount is. This is the other one you have to watch out for. It isn't hard to release, but its easy to overlook it because it is hidden.

There are also several places where the air dam around the head has to marry up with tabs on the mid panel, and you have to shine a light in around the vent and inspect them to make sure they are all lined up correctly when you reinstall it. This is one of the reasons I made the video, as it's just so much easier to show this on video than to try to explain it. Getting the panels on and off the 2010-2012 bikes is quite a bit more complicated due than the earlier models.

Thanks, Fred. I thought there may be a need to push that tab back with some flat edged tool to release the ridge. I guess I was wrong. I will be checking into your videos as soon as I get a few miles on the bike. This question only came up because of the transport damage. I am sure I would have run into it sooner or later though.

gnuse said:
Thanks, Fred. I thought there may be a need to push that tab back with some flat edged tool to release the ridge. I guess I was wrong. I will be checking into your videos as soon as I get a few miles on the bike. This question only came up because of the transport damage. I am sure I would have run into it sooner or later though.

If you find something that won't scratch the paint, like a thin plastic or wooden tool, you can partially pull the panels apart and then slip it between them and push in on the tab to try to release the ridge over the slot. I did it once that way myself, and it worked, but it was difficult to find the tab and also hard to do it without scratching the panel. In the end, I just found that by pressing in on the top panel and pulling out on the bottom panel and tugging that I can get it to release just as quickly.