• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

how do you folks clean your mesh airflow gear?

zg

Made it back from the Nat safe and sound, my mesh airflow gear brought back a few bigillion bugs...  :(

Anyone have any tips or tricks on the best way to clean em off? They're pretty embedded into the mesh.  ???

Soak it in water and they'll come right out of that mesh with a stiff brush.  Same principle works well with the bike - soak a couple of t-shirts in water and lay them on the windshield and fairing for a half hour or so.  They'll come right off.  I've been living with lovebugs for decades!

Lovebugs are also known as "little flying bags of acid."  :-[

Sport Rider said:
the better question is where you able to get them off your bike?  man were they thick in east Colorado and Kansas!

Indeed SR, took about 6 hours on Monday but she was eventually clean again!  :beerchug:

ChipDoc said:
Soak it in water and they'll come right out of that mesh with a stiff brush. 

What kind of brush do you use for that CD? I would think something that has bristles similar to a toothbrush right, but bigger?  ???

I have never really cleaned, but did buy a new mesh jacket. The should resonate with you Jay. Think hi-Viz yellow!  :beerchug:

ZG said:
What kind of brush do you use for that CD? I would think something that has bristles similar to a toothbrush right, but bigger?  ???
The one I use was designed to scrub bathroom stalls, with firm blue nylon bristles surrounded by softer white nylon bristles.  I believe it set me back the princely sum of $2.99 at the grocery store.

I soak 'em in the bath tub for a couple of hours with a little detergent...then turn on the shower to "power wash" away the residue... :beerchug:

I've always just thrown mine in the washing machine (jacket and pants). The tag sewn on the inside gives the instructions.

They come out looking like new.

Dan

G4u6a4G.jpg

Bergmen said:
I've always just thrown mine in the washing machine (jacket and pants). The tag sewn on the inside gives the instructions.

They come out looking like new.

Dan

Well that just makes way too much f'n sence.

Washing machine, dry in the sun. If that's too "overwhelming" I hit it with the garden hose. The padding dries out just fine. Same with a stanky helmet. Spray it inside with soap, rinse it with a garden hose until the soap bubbles go away, then maybe 5 or 10 minutes more. My helmets are both all synthetic materials on the inside. They dry with no damages. 

Hi,
      Wayne at Motoport, says to take my gear and go to a real commercial washing machine  and wash everything in there including the armour! :great:

I'm due real soon as I live in Florida (heat/humidity) and only wear under shorts, t-shirt, when riding! ;D

Just hang it up after washing and let it dry and your good to go! :motonoises:

Attachments

• 7faeeba682f8083f6747419b1256a309.jpg
    7faeeba682f8083f6747419b1256a309.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 167
I fill up the bottom of the bathtub and put a small amount of liquid detergent in the water, remove all padding, and then let it soak for a while. I'll agitate it periodically and then give it a good spraying down with the shower nozzle. Once cleaned to my liking I hang it up to dry on a plant hook on the balcony.

Seems to work well with my silver jacket and pants.

MrPepsi said:
talcon said:

This, RAIN of course!

really, cleaning gear is for posers and wussiees... take the bike on an 8 hour rain ride.... stop halfway with a spray bottle of spray n wash, or oxy clean, then return home.... don't leave it wet in the garage... it will turn into a biology experiment, and grow fungiii the likes of which will be an anomoly...

or, just throw it away and buy new gear.... and sell the old stuff on ebay to a wannabe....

MAN OF BLUES said:
MrPepsi said:
talcon said:

This, RAIN of course!

really, cleaning gear is for posers and wussiees... take the bike on an 8 hour rain ride.... stop halfway with a spray bottle of spray n wash, or oxy clean, then return home.... don't leave it wet in the garage... it will turn into a biology experiment, and grow fungiii the likes of which will be an anomoly...

or, just throw it away and buy new gear.... and sell the old stuff on ebay to a wannabe....

Wear it in the jacouzzi or hot tub while drinking single malt.

RR has it right .... Never Rains in Portland you guys are thinking of Seattle they get a little sprinkle now and again  :)  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Bill
P.S. Single Malt is  ...... Tasty 

MAN OF BLUES said:
MrPepsi said:
talcon said:

This, RAIN of course!

Mind sendin' some o'that out heah, ace? We're about to have to go all Bear Grylls up in here with the drought and all.

Olympia/Revit gear ain't cheap. I go to professional events and only have my C14 as transport, so there's times where I have to look presentable. I wanted a few seasons out of it but am going back to all-black. Silver/grey is a nightmare to keep clean.  :-[

motonerd14 said:
[... so there's times where I have to look presentable. I wanted a few seasons out of it but am going back to all-black. Silver/grey is a nightmare to keep clean.  :-[

THIS!  The light colors collect dirt and sweat stains you never knew were happening on the black gear.  Bugs create Rorschach splotches that can be entertaining or conversation starters if you're into those kind of buggy conversations.

seagiant1 said:
Hi,
      Wayne at Motoport, says to take my gear and go to a real commercial washing machine  and wash everything in there including the armour! :great:

I'm due real soon as I live in Florida (heat/humidity) and only wear under shorts, t-shirt, when riding! ;D

Been considering the Motoport after my run in with a car pulling out in front of me. One guy did not wash correctly and tore the forum apart over the issue ....and keeps coming back in several threads. Interesting reading for a slooooooowday  http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023662&highlight=motoport

Watch out, Oxy-Clean will fade the colors of your gear. After reading the whole thread, the last one was the best, Simple Green, rinse, air dry, but I take my armor pads outs, if you do, mark them for position and direction. The bugs come off when you soak it for about 10 minutes. Simple Green is real gentle, but you can cut it if you want and achieve the same results.

freebird6 said:
seagiant1 said:
Hi,

Been considering the Motoport after my run in with a car pulling out in front of me. One guy did not wash correctly and tore the forum apart over the issue ....and keeps coming back in several threads. Interesting reading for a slooooooowday  http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023662&highlight=motoport

Hi,
      Well...sounds dicey to me but I love my Motoport Gear and don't see how a washing could hurt it.

As a side note my suit was pure custom as I am 6'8" and about 275!

When I got my jacket it was to short,pants were perfect.

Called Wayne and we decided we had a lack of communicatin somewhere and no ones fault.

I paid to send the jacket back,he made a new one for me that was perfect and paid the shipping back and was less than a week getting it back!

That's great customer service in my book... YMMV! ;D

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motoport-gear-crash-tested-at-70-mph.507934/#post-10919075

Attachments

• 11312124_1579033992356453_947830202_n.jpg
    11312124_1579033992356453_947830202_n.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 102
Threw it in the cloths washer recently (with armor removed) cause rain has been a bit rare here in California. (and it was getting a bit funky)

talcon said:

Mine specifically says to NOT machine wash. I fill sink with warm water and laundry detergent. Soak it for a while (maybe 45 minutes), massage it some for a while. Then rinse several times and air dry on a nice hanger with shoulder supports. I also remove the armor before washing. Has worked very well for several years.
Jorge

My Firstgear mesh says hand wash only, but I've run it in a machine on gentle cycle no issues. A little pre-treat on the front of the day-glo to get the little stains out. Then hang to dry on its original hanger in front of a fan, dries in about two hours.

Thud300 said:
My Firstgear mesh says hand wash only, but I've run it in a machine on gentle cycle no issues. A little pre-treat on the front of the day-glo to get the little stains out. Then hang to dry on its original hanger in front of a fan, dries in about two hours.

Sedici says the same thing.  I pull the armor out, and use woolight and the 'hand wash' cycle along with my helmet pads....  while drinking single malt!  :great:

I have yet to even find Woolite again.
Where the heck do you find it?
Or maybe you buy it differently than I used to see it when I was younger.

MrPepsi said:
I have yet to even find Woolite again.
Where the heck do you find it?
Or maybe you buy it differently than I used to see it when I was younger.

Ummmm... in the laundry detergent aisle??  It's still around, though in liquid form,
and in a smaller bottle.  I haven't seen the 10 Gallon econo-size yet.

LOL, I checked Wallyworld and Target and no joy.
I think I found a spray bottle at one of those places, but that's not what I was looking for.
I'll keep checking.