• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How I pinned my bags

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
1/16" pilot hole in aft end of tab that hangs down below the slot.
3/32" hole.

2 spring loaded safety pins from local big box hardware store. About $2 bucks.  :)

:103:

Attachments

• port side bag.jpg
    port side bag.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 568
  • port side bag pinned.jpg
    port side bag pinned.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 713
  • both bags pinned.jpg
    both bags pinned.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 520
  • port bag pinned top view.jpg
    port bag pinned top view.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 513
flashback50 said:
Looks like it would be hard to get your hands in there to close them

My hands are not that big. Not as big as Trump's.  :rotflmao:

Actually, it looks tough, but it's not. I can get one hand in there and flip the safety pin loose using one finger.
The pin goes in either way. This is what works for me and it may not work for everyone else.

I suppose you could spend more money and use a ball locking pin and not mess with a safety pin.
I have other ideas to do the same thing, but they cost a lot more money.

Well I decided to try this way of pinning the bags on my 2013 and discovered that I can't do it. The part that you drilled to put the pin does not come below the mount it fits in. It is flush with the bottom of the mount. Looks like your bike is the newer model being green. I wonder if Kawi extended those engagement tabs on newer bikes?

Well after looking closer it is definitely true that they extended those tabs.  Look at pics attached.

Attachments

• bag.jpg
    bag.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 175
  • bag3.jpg
    bag3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 171
  • bag2.jpg
    bag2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 180
Flashback,

That is interesting. Yes, it looks like my bags have longer tabs hanging down. I think you are correct that big K made those longer so they stay put. When I first started looking into this, I figured that this is where the bags would start jumping out from vibration. With my pins in place, the bags don't even try to lift up.

One of my other ideas was to drill down thru the top of the tab so I could insert long clevis pins, thus extending the tabs even further. After that, just run a locking safety pin thru the clevis pin hole.
I'll post a drawing so you can see what I mean.

You could still do that and fill any gaps around the metal pins using JB Weld Epoxy. It would cost a little more but you would get the same results.
Either way, pin in the tabs, or what others have done by installing the lower pins, achieve the same results.

So, here was my alternate solution. Note that the pins hang below the slots.
My local tractor store carries gobs of clevis pins in all sizes and lengths with predrilled holes.

Just another idea to consider and I see no issues with the pins weakening the plastic tabs.

Note the blue areas are filled in with the JB Weld to hold pins in place and add strength.

Attachments

• bag2.jpg
    bag2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 211
  • bag3.jpg
    bag3.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 206
Harry Martin said:
So, here was my alternate solution. Note that the pins hang below the slots.
My local tractor store carries gobs of clevis pins in all sizes and lengths with predrilled holes.

Just another idea to consider and I see no issues with the pins weakening the plastic tabs.

Note the blue areas are filled in with the JB Weld to hold pins in place and add strength.

Looks good. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions Harry  :beerchug:

Harry, nicely done, taking advantage of the longer tabs on newer bikes... I wonder when they made the change.

For those who have older bags with the shorter tabs, remember the old method of pinning them through the front alignment tab works quite well. The pins are visible (not like Harry's), but they don't look bad.

Jorge said:
Harry, nicely done, taking advantage of the longer tabs on newer bikes... I winder when they made the change.

For those who have older bags with the shorter tabs, remember the old method of pinning them through the front alignment tab works quite well. The pins are visible (not like Harry's), but they don't look bad.

Hi,
      Jorge, the pins I use on my 2012, with the "bales" for security....

Look almost OEM, and you really have to look for them to notice! ;D

No matter how you do it... :motonoises:

Peace of mind, is worth it! :great:

Attachments

• vetormotomulher-7.jpg
    vetormotomulher-7.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 158
I have 2013...short tabs. Harry has 2015, long tabs. We need some 2014 owners to weigh in!!
I have a 2014 and I THINK that was the year it changed but knowing how OEMs raid leftover parts, I pinned mine anyway with the 3/16” spring pin from McMaster-Carr(?) as soon as I got the bike new in 2015. 7 years and counting. I think the new tab version is orange, if I recall correctly? Maybe?

I had a bag fly off of my BMW R1200RT when I went over a railroad crossing a bit exuberantly. They have a similar attachment design as the C14. I drilled and pinned them the same way.