• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

how is the 09 model

ratsac

hi all. I was checking out the local dealers for a bike. No new ones on the floor yet but they did have a 09 model non abs. 9000$ clean bike with 5000 miles on it, top box, power commander and hid lights. The cost of buying this bike is alot cheaper than buying a new one, Which is swaying me in to it.
I read up on the 09 to a 12 model. really want the 12 for its extras, but will the 09 still thrill me, I have a 2000 so am thinking i dont really need warmers, and if the brakes are better than the little ones on the 2000. I am doing alright,
Any imput will be helpful.
Andy howgego

I forgot to ask about the engine  heat issues I have been reading about, I live in CT. Is it worse than the C-10, or I am  I being picky.
andy

Hey Andy,

$9,000 for a 2009 C14 without ABS, with 5,000 miles. I think the price is a little high myself. But not drastically so.(it is a dealer) You can find similar bikes with ABS for less money. Personally, I feel that if your going to spend this kind of money on an upgrade from you C10. Then why not get the true upgrade and go with the ABS. Although I really like the 09 Red. But 09 also had black which is also nice to look at. But I personally avoid black (hot, dirtier and shows every scratch). The 08-09 ABS are also not linked. A lot of folks feel the linking on the 2010+ brakes are too much in the linking feel, that it is actually intrusive. So IMO, that price for a non-ABS C14, is a little high. Not drastically high, but high. (even with a top case)
    The 2010+ bike have a lot of upgrades . Higher mirrors, traction control, heated grips and redesigned fairing for better heat directing are some of them. But it comes at the price of more money for the newer bike. So you have to weigh out the differences when deciding which model you want to buy (Gen I or Gen II).
    As to your question on the heat. Some people find the 08-09 to be so hot that it is intolerable. I personally found my 08 to be warm at times. But no more than a lot of other bikes I have had. And I can say without a doubt that my 86 C10 is hotter (as was my 2003 C10). My Mean Streak is also as hot or hotter at times. Although my FJR is cooler. I guess it's what your use to riding. Compared to your C10, I doubt that you find the C14 to be any hotter in the summer.

Bob

I have an 09 in black, non-ABS that i picked up last summer.  The bike hauls the mail, that's for sure.  smooth power, brakes are wonderful, its like riding a comfortable superbike.

complaints...very few:

the heat issue is there on your shins, but only during the summertime when its above 85 degrees.  on cooler days, or mornings, that warmth is welcomed.  There is a quick fix, with some foam inserts that a COG board member invented, i plan on buying them in the summertime.

some complain about the windscreen being too small.  in the farthest up position, you do tend to get some buffeting around your head.  i am 5-8, so it doesnt bother me too much, but many do buy an after market screen that is taller.

other even smaller complaints:
some have had key fob issues, but i have not.
some have had saddlebag connetion issues, but i have not.  there is a quick fix for those as well.
Many complain about the stock Bstones, if they are on the bike, ditch them fast.  get ANYTHING else and you will be happy with the bikes handling.
some have complained about the 2ndary butterflies and wanting more power.  i have not.  135+hpis fine with me

i am not sure if that price is good or not, but i bought my 09 with 10K miles on the clock for $8500 from a private owner and i thought that i got a good deal. 

I do also agree with Bob, shop around and you probably could find a 2010 or newer model with all of the electronics on it for about the same price.  i am a former racer and trackday guy, so i am kool not having ABS or traction control.  but from what i have read, they are pretty cool devices to have on a bike that many ride year round.

I have an 08 ABS I bought last year with 15,000 miles for $7500 and it looked new. I have not found the heat issue to be a problem and I have over 22,000 miles on it now. This is also my first bike with ABS and they are very impressive. I am sure the non ABS stops great. Offer him $8000 and see what he does. One sold here the other day for $7995. How long has it been sitting in his showroom? I would never pay asking price at a dealer.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,32143.0.html

I have an '09 Red non ABS that I bought 2 years ago this month, -0- miles on it from a dealer $10,700 out the door.

I got the foam heat panels as I did feel the heat. 

I got 29,000 miles on it now and still in love  :-* with the bike  ;D

FWIW, the '09 C14 ABS w/2300mi I just bought last week from my local deal started out with a $7995 asking price.  I was able to get the dealer to come down some more.  It helps that the bike I was trading in was purchased from the same dealer network 3months ago.

I test drove an '11 a while back and like it a lot.  The basic package (engine, handling, etc.) feels no different than the '08-09.  The refinement/changes on '10-later are nice, but the only one I really would like is traction control.  Can't have enough safety, AFAIAC.  Still, I don't think it's worth the $5-6K more I would have to shell out for a new '11.

I'd say, test drive the '09 and then if you are serious about buying, work with the dealer on price.  A lot of dealers inflate the asking price just to have some haggle room - and just in case a guy walks in, falls in love, and can't live without it.  It also depends on how good of deal the dealer got on that trade-in.  I think my dealer stole my '09 from the previous owner. >:D

Work the price first and then see if you can get the dealer to add a new set of tires to seal the deal.

Rash

I have an '09 ABS model with 27+ on it and have taken it on a fairly long trip (6 days 1,600 miles) and am getting around 44 mpg and I also had a C10 and you would love the C14

Personally I would prefer a Connie with ABS.  Do a search on youtube on ABS brakes on bikes.  There are comparisons and to me ABS is comforting.  I don't know what a good price is but if you think a deal is good, that's what counts.

I have a 09 ABS in the fastest color.  :)

The 09 does not have linked brakes, which is a huge + in my book!  :13:

I also prefer the overall lines of the body work better on the 08/09 than the 10+, the lines of the tail and front lowers just seems to flow better to me...  :)

I haven't had any issues with heat, but I also live in the PNW where it rarely gets too hot in the summer.  :p

IIRC the 10+ models have some restricter or something that limits the power or speed or something like that.  :017:

Happy hunting Andrew!

ZG said:
How on Earth did you get an 09 in 10 blue?????

;)

The 10+ actually have a few more ponies than the 08/09, although truth be told they're so close I can't imagine it making a big difference in real life.

My advice is to buy whichever one floats your boat. Keep in mind though the traction control on the 10+ is quite impressive and IMHO the biggest safety feature since ABS.

hI The 09 is black in color, with lots of scuff marks around the top of the saddelbags, from boots. it has the clear tape protector on it, can i remove this tape easily, thanks for your remarks, i think i will offer a low price and see what happens, the bike is being sold on consignment so i guess every body wants there cut. also will keep looking in the area. i did read in the reports about the handling being changed by the tires, and heat is a relative thing I guess. I really like the part about if you r going to get a bike get the better one.

Hi Andrew,
I had an 09 model in Red with ABS and loved it. Until my mate purchased the 10 model and his model came out with those super mods,
Like heat dispercement from the engine, link braking, engine plan changes for better fuel economy, higher mirrors, lockable space up front and many more. I had my 09 for just over a year and have traded last year on a 2011 and really love the changes. I like some of the others suggest you research a little before purchasing your bike as you'll wish you had if you rush in and buy her.
I also found the 09 very hot in summer when the temperature was up around 30c.
Dealers often have other dealers they can source their supplies from, so worth asking your local guy if he can help.
Regards,
Gramps
Perth Aust.

slidebite said:
ZG said:
How on Earth did you get an 09 in 10 blue?????

;)

:mad:

Bitchslap6.gif

;D

mnofpeace said:
I do also agree with Bob, shop around and you probably could find a 2010 or newer model with all of the electronics on it for about the same price.  i am a former racer and trackday guy, so i am kool not having ABS or traction control.  but from what i have read, they are pretty cool devices to have on a bike that many ride year round.

As I patiently save my pennies and bide my time, I monitor cycletrader, Craigslist, and eBay for 2008-2010 models.  I've not found a 2010 for under $10,500  Not to say they aren't there, but if they are, it's a rare find.

As others have noted, you can find 08-09 ABS models with similar miles for less than $9000.

Good luck!

Hi Folks, brand new user her as well as a new owner.

FYI, I just took delivery of a bike purchased on Ebay 3 weeks ago, a black 09, 4500 miles, Full Muzzy exhaust, cruise, & risers for $7600.  Never thought I'd do this sight unsean but the bke is in mint shape as the previous owner stated.

Being in Michigan I am now forced to look at this bike every day as I count down the days till Spring.

Interesting reading about the heat, as aprior ST1300 owner who used to ride outside of San Francisco in 110F heat I cant imagine this bike being any worse.

Marq said:

FYI, I just took delivery of a bike purchased on Ebay 3 weeks ago, a black 09, 4500 miles, Full Muzzy exhaust, cruise, & risers for $7600.  Never thought I'd do this sight unsean but the bke is in mint shape as the previous owner stated.

Being in Michigan I am now forced to look at this bike every day as I count down the days till Spring.

Interesting reading about the heat, as aprior ST1300 owner who used to ride outside of San Francisco in 110F heat I cant imagine this bike being any worse.

Welcome Marq!

Was this by chance the one that sold on ebay just the other week?? (see link below) If so, nice score indeed!  :)

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,31637.0.html

Congrats on the sweet new ride and welcome to the COG forum, Marq!  I'll bet that you get some chilly rides in before Spring actually arrives - it's tough to let a new bike sit in the garage.  While you're waiting, come on in and join us in the conversations.  It's great to have a fresh voice in the mix!

Andrew, I agree with Catpn’ the price seems a little high for a 09 non ABS.  But, it’s hardly broke in yet.  I have a red 09 ABS. I am aware some think the bike is hot. With a pair of boots and long pants, you will not notice until you get stuck at a stop light in 100+ weather. The heat comes up through the triple tree just like it does with other large motored motorcycle.  Once under way again it’s fine.
The boot marks are common among the 14’s because the bags are pretty high. I put some 3-M film on the top on my bags for protection. Paste wax normally takes the boot marks away in the paint.  The mirrors:  Yeah when I first got my `4, the mirrors seemed like they were hard to see what’s behind you  and the bags seem to be blocking your view.  After a while I discovered I no longer had a problem with the mirrors until I get on my other bike and find myself looking for the mirrors down low. Once I got used to the location of the mirrors on my 14, it almost seemed more natural to look where the mirrors are located. 
The C-14 is truly a great bike. Once I put the PR2’s on it was like I had to learn the bike all over again. The stock battle Axes do no justice to the C-14.  The PR2’s made it well-mannered in the corners. I rude with a group of friends who are mostly good riders with a variety of motorcycles. I hate to lead the group because when we get into a curvy road I always run off and leave them without even trying to. The only really bad thing I’ve found is ridding alone this bike is so smooth that if you are thinking life is good and enjoying the ride you with a slight smile, are more than likely way above the national speed limit. 
I have not really needed the ABS yet. I do know I was trying to stop in a bunch of sand. So I stayed off the front brake and got on the rear. The rear brake ABS came on and I stopped with plenty of room. Yeah, the 010’s and better have some neat add ones. But I got to say, I like the lines of the 08’s and 09’s better. I use a trailing rear brake when setting up for corners and am glad the brakes are not linked. Heated grips? I don’t ride in any weather my gloves won’t handle.

Marq, I feel your pain. I picked up my 09 Dec 16th 08 in between 2 snow storms. The Connie sat in my garage for a month with 2 miles on the clock. I couldn't stand it any more. If it was clear and the roads dry I went anyways. You would be amazed what a couple pairs of long johns can do when it's really cold out. Welcome to the forum.

ZG said:
Marq said:

Welcome Marq!

Was this by chance the one that sold on ebay just the other week?? (see link below) If so, nice score indeed!  :)

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,31637.0.html

Thats the one.

Bike was a fantastic deal, had been looking for over a year for the right one.

Only problem was during transport it appears somebody pulled on the top of the windscreen, like they were pulling the bike forward, and busted the cowling and damaged the windshield motor.  It's covered by the shippers insurance but it was a little disapointing that it got damaged.  So much for the "kit glove" treatment the shipper promised.

Still LOVE my '09 but then again it is the best color to date- CANDY RED!!

Many may disagree, but I prefer the looks and features of the 08-09 bikes.  The looks are subjective of course but I just like the lines better- I know the changes were to improve heat management but I have never really had an issue with it.  I say that coming from SE Georgia in EXTREME heat in the summer months...

I'm also in CT on the shoreline now so if you'd like to get together let me know.  I have done a number of mods and should be adding heated grips this weekend (even with the snow)!

Allen

hi,
I am taking the 09 for a test ride next week. I also rang the dealer in groton, he has a 2011 model for $13000. Also tempting at that price, I went and applied for a home improvement loan today just in case. I will also go up and check it out. he did not like the idea of trading in my old bike. he does not understand what a great bike it is.
I do like the real thoughts of you guys, I don't change a bike often, as before the 2000 Conny i had a 81 cb750 custom, so i am looking for owning it for a long time, from what Ive read the  09 has no issues. as we can adapt.
I just got back from Australia, rode around Queensland on a friends 93 Honda cbr. The honda felt so light and nimble, almost toy ish, after riding the c10 for so long. cant wait to see how the 14 feels.

Allen would love to meet up. i live in newtown. Any time is good as I am not working at the moment, even thinking of going for a ride tomorrow.
Andy

Andy,

Lets make one thing clear here. The C14 is not going to feel "light and nimble, almost toy ish, after riding the c10 ".  The C10 and C14 are in most respects, basically the same. The C10 may feel more top heavy when the tank is full. (higher and larger tank) But the fact is that both the C10 and C14 are still both big top heavy bikes. Fun bikes to ride, yes. But still big and top heavy. So don't get yourself in a mind set that the C14 is going to be a light nimble bike.
  The C14 is pretty light on it's feet at speed. But it (like the C10) can be a bear at slow speed maneuvers. It is by no means a liter class sport bike. But once rolling at speed the heft is kind of hidden. She will turn pretty good for a big girl. But will never compete with a ZX6, ZX10 or similar bikes on these fronts. As you know the Concours'es strength is more in it's ability to do everything pretty good. But nothing the best. Just keep the weight in mind when you take it out. It is a lot like your C10 with better brakes and more power.  ;)

I wouldn't worry about heat living where you do. It's only hot when the ambient temperature is 85 and up. It's very subjective, the guy that had my 08 before me stated right on the forum that there was not a heat issue, yet I find it very hot on the right shin, when it's over 85 degrees. (And not a bit of warmth during the winter, I might add!) :))