• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How to lower the brake pedal

Tector

I had my local Kawasaki dealer install for me the AST footpeg lowering kit (on my 2010 Concours 14 ABS).  But now the brake pedal is too high, and they say they can't lower it any farther.  (If I remember correctly the service manual says that the brake pedal should be 1.75 inches lower than the foot peg, but mine is higher than the peg.  I have to take my foot off the peg to engage the pedal.  Awkward, and in my opinion not safe.)  I'm going to contact AST about this, but does anyone have any experience with this conversion, and can you tell me what to do to lower that right foot peg?  I'm going to the national rally, although I won't get there until Thursday morning, but I'd especially be interested in looking at any bikes that have successfully dealt with this modification, if any such bikes are there.

Thanks for any and all help.

Tector said:
I had my local Kawasaki dealer install for me the AST footpeg lowering kit (on my 2010 Concours 14 ABS).  But now the brake pedal is too high, and they say they can't lower it any farther.  (If I remember correctly the service manual says that the brake pedal should be 1.75 inches lower than the foot peg, but mine is higher than the peg.  I have to take my foot off the peg to engage the pedal.  Awkward, and in my opinion not safe.)  I'm going to contact AST about this, but does anyone have any experience with this conversion, and can you tell me what to do to lower that right foot peg?  I'm going to the national rally, although I won't get there until Thursday morning, but I'd especially be interested in looking at any bikes that have successfully dealt with this modification, if any such bikes are there.

Thanks for any and all help.

I'm gonna assume you have the latest and updated brake linkages installed, I'm not positive as I do not have a set of AST lowered pegs, to say for sure, but bringing the pedal "down" is much easier to raising that pedal, and with the dimensions you note, and taking into account the length/lever arm of the pedal arm, I think you should be able to get it lowered to a usable point without any issue.. the guys you had tell you different, may not have been "on the ball" there.. there seems to be adequate amounts of the threaded rod, to allow this lowering of the pedal to happen.. read over this attached document, to familiarize your self with what you are looking at, and searching to achieve.  I know, it's the recaall notice, but it does show very graphically the amount of "free threaded rod" that is available to lower that lever.. I hope this helps, I'll be in Williamsport on Sunday, if you want me to look, but I think using what I am saaaying should be very beneficial, and cure your issue.

Attachments

• recall 2 MC12-05 (1).pdf
    175.8 KB · Views: 127
Thanks, Man of Blues.  I've looked the recall notice over, and I'm still not sure I get it; I'm no mechanic myself (which is why I had someone else install the foot peg lowering kit).  I'll take a look at my bike tomorrow, along with the recall notice, and scratch my head and see if things get any clearer.  But, will you be in Williamsport all week?  If so, I'd like to try to meet you when I get there.  If not, I might try to ride down there on Sunday (I'm about an hour and 45 minutes away).

Tector said:
Thanks, Man of Blues.  I've looked the recall notice over, and I'm still not sure I get it; I'm no mechanic myself (which is why I had someone else install the foot peg lowering kit).  I'll take a look at my bike tomorrow, along with the recall notice, and scratch my head and see if things get any clearer.  But, will you be in Williamsport all week?  If so, I'd like to try to meet you when I get there.  If not, I might try to ride down there on Sunday (I'm about an hour and 45 minutes away).

I'll be there.. ask anyone you see..anyone in the N/e zone, knows me..  ::)  they will roll their eyes, and point me out.. they won't do it to me face to face tho... :-\ :truce: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great:

Just to be clear, Blues Man, will you be in Williamsport all week?  If not, I'll try to get there tomorrow.

Did this on mine a few years ago with lower pegs (and long legs).  Follow what he said, but also be aware that you likely need to adjust the brake light switch and possibly the return spring length if memory serves me.  Good luck.

Tector said:
Just to be clear, Blues Man, will you be in Williamsport all week?  If not, I'll try to get there tomorrow.

I'll be there all week.. and when I get tthere tomorrow, I'm going into "unwind mode"... meaning brain is gonna shut off for 24 hours...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: so I can look at it midweek, if that works...

Tector said:

I put the AST lowering brackets on both of my 16 Concours.  AST sent directions on how to adjust both brake and gear shifter pedals. If you didn’t read that literature I would go ask the dealer if they have it or already threw it away, I had no problem either time with my brake pedal being to high!

FTB530, thanks for the reassurance.  I'm getting the idea that I'll have to do this myself, but with a little guidance I'm reasonably certain I can.  And Blues Man, I'll look you up on Thursday after I arrive.  I (and my wife and our daughter) will be staying at the Genetti.  If nothing else, I hope to find you at the banquet that evening.

Dude in the video keeps calling the shifter the clutch pedal. Makes one wonder if the guy has ever seen a motorcycle before.