• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Howdy from Wisco

apex_vinyl7780

Hi guys,

Longtime lurker, finally got a new to me 2011 Connie and decided it was time to join up.

My initial ride was a little bumpy (literally) as I found out the previous owner had really messed up the suspension settings.

Once I got those set, it rode very well for me.

I already have murphs pullback risers on order but the next order of business is the seat.

It came with a sergeant seat but man....its pretty terrible. Its hard and does not cup my rear like it should. I am constantly sliding forward.

I'm thinking of listing the seat on fleabay and trying a corbin...or having a local guy butcher up the sergeant by sloping it the other way instead of sliding me into the tank so bad.

Between that and the risers I can tell it will fix up the stance for me considerably. The next step after that is some highway pegs from AST.

One other thing I wanted to mention was the consistent chant of "its a big bike" and "its so powerful"....yes, and yes to both with caveats. The bike is not that big in comparison to the bikes Ive had and it is also not as fast as some bikes I've had.

I have had too many bikes and too many repeats. My favorites were VTX1800's (I had 4 total over the years), 5 FZ1's (3-3rd gens and 2-2nd gens). But I always wanted to blend the two.

To me, the concourse is a blend of cruiser and standard. The FZ1 would spank the concourse in many ways, no doubt about that, but certainly not in comfort and sensibility. The FZ chain adjustments got super old after a while and that was always one of the reasons I kept selling them. I can deal with it on my DR because its real easy to do.

Either way, this bike is pretty crazy. It ticks all the boxes and looks good doing it. It took a while for the appearance to grow on me but now I like it.

I can tell this one is a winner and I will be riding it longer than most. Who knows, maybe I'll have two at once someday like I did with the VTX's.

Thanks for having me and I'm glad to be here. Looking forward to hanging around and helping out if possible.

My bike history:

1982 Yamaha Seca 650 silver, 1982 Suzuki GS1100E gold/tan, 2013 Yamaha FZ1 Cobalt Blue, 2005 VTX1800N "Blurple", 2002 Honda XR650R road legal, 2001 Honda VTX1800C orange, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 Purple and Grey, 2004 Yamaha FZ1 Bumblebee, 2007 VTX1800C Black, 2013 Yamaha Raider S red, 2015 Yamaha FZ1 Throwback R1 paint Red stripes/white pearl, 2005 Honda VTX1800C Custom Ghost Flame, 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic white pearl, 2004 Yamaha FZ1 Blue.

Current rides:
2011 Kawasaki Concourse
2020 Suzuki DR650SE
2008 Suzuki C109R (will be sold in spring)

Welcome!
My 2012 had a Sargent also...I hated it! I would be in pain at 25 minutes or so, then the rest of the day.
I did get a Corbin modular and I love it. It fits my big rear much better.
Be forewarned though...Corbins have stiff foam...I've heard some say they're made of concrete.
Try to find somone that week let you sit on their Corbin if you can.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome from southeast Georgia. Like u i play whack a seat, trying to.find THE ONE. Mine also came with a sergeant plank, and I then went Corbin 2piece. Rode it for a couple years and approximately 10k miles before I gave up waiting for it to 'break in'.. the kawasaki touring seat was my personal best choice, but I've also got a saddleman that isn't half bad. If you opt to get a used Russell day long, it may not work for you as it was built for someone else. That doesn't mean that it can't be fixed, and Russell will do it for a fee....

Don't send your Russell to Seth Laam, even though he made them and claims he can rebuild them... just sayin.:rolleyes:

Apologies for the late comeback everyone. Time is precious during the week. By the time I'm done working, I don't want to do much but eat and go to sleep. Gotta make hay when the sun is shining though!

Yes, I have heard the Corbins are stiff. That's why I was thinking of having my seat rebuilt locally.

Strawboss; I found this out after some quick searches. He won't be getting my business. Especially not at his prices. Id try to do it myself at that point.

But there are a couple places near me that will add gel and reshape it for a bout $350. I'm probably gonna go that route.

Thanks again everybody and I'll be floating around more often.