• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hugging the mountains of the Hudson River Valley...

ZIGZAG

Training Wheels
Hello, fellow COGgers. My riding time has been extremely abbreviated due to my wife being ill. I did, however, have one opportunity to ride to the hospital where she was staying, Phelps Memorial in Sleepy Hollow, NY, from our home in New Windsor, NY. Not a long ride, and portions of the route are regular stomping grounds for me. But, for those unfamiliar with the route, it is worthy... particularly on a Connie.

Leaving New Windsor, I took Bethlehem Road (south) to Jackson Ave. (east,) then took a left on Orrs Mills Road. At this intersection, there is a magnificent view of a valley with an expansive, elevated rail bridge. This is very close to Salisbury Mills where, if you're hungry, I recommend Loughran's Irish Pub. (Tell Jim I sent you.) Orrs Mills Road continues to Rte 32, where I took a right and rode just a short distance to Quaker Ave., where I took a left and entered the Village of Cornwall.

There are two terrific paths that can be taken south from Cornwall... Rte 9W, or Rte 218. Whichever way I take south, I take the other one north. On this trip, I took 218 south, up and over Storm King Mountain. This is not a long route, but it's very gratifying for those who ride our choice of bikes. It is can be technically challenging but, in order to fully appreciate the panoramic vistas, you need to roll off the throttle a little bit. Some exotic sports car commercials have been filmed here.

Rte 218 ends at an intersection of Rte 9W, where you continue south, past the entrance to the United States Military Academy at West Point. This is a trip of its own, and one can easily spend a day there. If you happen across the Village of Highland Falls, stop in the Southgate Tavern (for a soda) and say hello to Eamon, the long time proprietor, and his splendid bartender, Ginny. There is an Italian restaurant next door, and you can order their fare without leaving the comfort of this traditional Irish pub. (Is a trend developing here?)

Should you remain on the established path of Rte 9W south, you will continue to the traffic circle at Bear Mountain, where one of the most picturesque bridges and river crossings on the entire Hudson River exists. Just before arriving at the traffic circle, you'll be passing through the sleepy little town of Fort Montgomery. There are two fine eateries here... Richie's Little Place is a favorite of ours. It's like stepping back into the '50'-'60's. Clean, comfortable, and with outstanding home made meals. Bob and Mary are the wonderful proprietors, and everything on the menu is terrific.

If you're in the mood for BBQ, stop in to see Geoff at Barnstormer. His BBQ "joint" is located just north of Richie's. (And, Geoff rides, too, so there are almost always a few bikes in his lot.) I suggest the Pulled Pork Melt Platter... with sides of Mac'n'Cheese and French Fries. (He also has a few good draught beer selections. But... HEY... you're riding!) Make sure that you have room in your saddlebags. You WILL be taking leftovers home... you won't want to leave them!

Back to the ride... we're almost done. Go across the Bear Mountain Bridge, where you'll stay to the right after you cross it, and enter what is affectionately known as the "Goat Trail," or Rte 202. I traveled this road several times in my Jeep Wrangler, each time wishing that I had been on two wheels. It's a great track for those who like twisties... alas, my route to the hospital was dampened by getting stuck behing a full size SUV towing a trailer. And... there's no place to pass on this one lane challenge.

You'll know that it's time to turn around when you see Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant off to your right, and you arrive at another traffic circle. This easily enables you to head back, and hopefully not encounter any vehicles that will put a damper on an otherwise invigorating ride!

I advocate taking 218 south, and Rte 9W on the northbound trip, as there are a number of scenic overlooks that are very safe for bikes and cars alike on Rte 9W, and they provide unparalleled beauty. Staying on Rte 9W will also take you directly to Broadway in the City of Newburgh, where a left (westbound) will lead you to the intersections of Rte 84, and the NYS Thruway, just a few miles away.

With time being a precious commodity these days, I'm happy to have this route so accessible. If any of you ride it, please let me know if you find the trip as challenging, inspiring, and scenic, as I have. Happy trails!

I wish I had better news to share, Bob. I've been taking care of AnneMarie 24/7 since her diagnosis, over a year ago. Hospice has now taken over some of her care. She has battled so valiantly, and our family is just full of hearts that are breaking. I am taking it well, and as badly, as one can. We've been together for over 30 years, and I have held out hope that she would beat this, and join me on the back of the bike. As it is, even a very brief ride is one of my last bastions of therapy. Two wheels is perhaps the only thing that I can fall back on... that isn't a reminder of all the things that we've always done together. We literally did everything together, throughout our entire marriage. She's an amazing woman, and I want another 30 years with her. Cancer sucks... plain and simple.

If anyone else takes the time to read this, PLEASE do yourselves a favor... schedule a colonoscopy. Yes, even if you're feeling fine. And, especially if there's a family history. My wife did not like going to the doctor, and now I have to treasure what precious time I have left with her. My living room looks like a hospital. And, I want it to look like that for a long time. Get yourselves checked, and please pray for my wife when you do it. I'll be praying for all of you. No family should have to go through what could be prevented. My wife would approve of this message.

Sorry to ramble, Bob, and thanks for asking. Brian

It's totally understood Brian. My prayers go out to your wife, as well as you and the rest of your family! As I've said before, if there's anything I can do, even just a cup of coffee to talk, I'm there!  :'(

Please keep us in the loop on this Brian.  Let us know if we can help in any way.  Hoping for the best for your wife, yourself and your extended family.  Good luck.

When the unthinkable happens, a road trip is probably in order and one or more of us might be available to ride along for a bit.  Riding is one of the few things we can mostly control and allow us to focus on the possible.  A reprieve of sorts though tempory and sporatic.

And yes, the riding in the river area is pretty much great.  Love the Bear Mt area.  Have to see if I can put this route in the GPS for my next trip to Newburg.