• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hwy 28 In SC and NC

Stokeman

Training Wheels
One of the most fun rides is going up Hwy 28 from Walhalla SC into Ga for a short distance and then into NC. Me and the wife go every weekend, weather permitting, to Highlands, NC. We stop and have a some fried pickles and a beer at Highlands Smokehouse and then return back home. It's about an hour one way, and it's full of curves from beginning to end. If you ever get up that way, take the ride, it's awesome.

Stokeman said:
One of the most fun rides is going up Hwy 28 from Walhalla SC into Ga for a short distance and then into NC. Me and the wife go every weekend, weather permitting, to Highlands, NC. We stop and have a some fried pickles and a beer at Highlands Smokehouse and then return back home. It's about an hour one way, and it's full of curves from beginning to end. If you ever get up that way, take the ride, it's awesome.

That is a great ride, unfortunately it is about 280 miles from my house so I can't do it but a few times a year.  Also fun is to take it on up through Franklin on up to US 19.

Cap'n Bob said:
Is that the same 28 that runs out to Fontana Dam, otherwise known as Hell Bender?

The same road, I love 28 from Stecoah NC to Hellbender.  My most favorite 13 mile stretch of any road.  You can get in a groove and just have a ball.

I was looking at that on Mapquest the other day, thinking..Hmm..... Thanks for the tip. Been looking for some good fried pickles. Zaxby's are NOT it.

I'll add this to the 2012 list!

Cap'n Bob said:
Is that the same 28 that runs out to Fontana Dam, otherwise known as Hell Bender?

I do believe it is the same Hwy 28. Been to the Dragon twice and the ride up is nearly as fun as the Dragon itself.

COGnosticat0r said:
Stokeman said:

That is a great ride, unfortunately it is about 280 miles from my house so I can't do it but a few times a year.  Also fun is to take it on up through Franklin on up to US 19.

Don't go that far very often. But I guess I'll take a day and do it.

I've run that road (Hwy 28  from Walhalla - Highlands) so many times  I've lost count. I like to loop it by combining it with Hwy 107 from Cashiers back to Hwy 28.

Now that I think about it :-[ I'm long over due for another ride on Hwy 28.  I've ridden Hwy 28 a number of times over the years from US-64 in Franklin to I-85.  Some of the time I've actually started close or at Deals Gap and gone South.  But I've also done it going North from I-85, Exit 19.  Once you get past Walhalla going North, I'll take Hwy 28 over anything in the Rockies. 

One of the disadvantages of being married is I no longer take late Spring or early Fall vacations to go riding in the North Carolina Mountains.  I remember once taking a four day Labor Day weekend ride to the Asheville area.  It rained part of the time but it still was a great trip.