• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I HAVE HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sport rider

Iron Butt
....in my grips that is!!!  One of the things I loved about the C14 (and really miss) is the heated grips.  I got a set from Murphs a month or so ago and finally got them installed this weekend.  They are excellent!!!  :great:

Heat your seat then you're all set.  :) 

Heated my seat for $45, got the seat pads off Ebay.

Nothing like heated gear. Once you own it you wonder how you were able to ride without it. I use a Gerbing jacket & gloves. Added a 12v socket to the bike. The gear is costly but if you use your bike like a car it sure makes a difference. :great:

I wish I had some heated gear!!  But I need a window I can see out of, and some kind of back comfort like risers or different bars! So for now it's carharts and gloves!  :(

the low setting was toasty on the ride into work today!!!!  YEE HAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:celebrate: :dance: :Woot_Emoticon: :06:

CRocker said:
Mcfly said:
My whole state is heated...  :'(

Bet you won't be bragging about that in July or August... :nananana:
Don't forget Sept and June, both pretty rough here, but it's nice until about 9a.m.

This year, pretty much until now, the summer weather pattern is hanging on. October was mostly quite warm stinking hot.

Cold front entering now with a reinforcement this weekend. It's supposed to get way down to 59 for a low.

I do have grip heat and an electrified shirt, so all is well here.  :great:

Just looked, it is now 79* with a dew point of only 64. Getting to be a chill in the air.

:beerchug:

MZ 660 said:
Nothing like heated gear. Once you own it you wonder how you were able to ride without it. I use a Gerbing jacket & gloves. Added a 12v socket to the bike. The gear is costly but if you use your bike like a car it sure makes a difference. :great:

I finally bought some heated gear. Gloves and socks from Gerbing. My grips were heated but any part of the hand not touching the grip got way too cold. The gloves should solve the problem. Feet not as big a deal but they have gotten cold a couple of times.

My Tourmaster jacket with layering underneath and behind Connie's big fairing seem to keep the torso warm. Two thumbs up for electricity.

I tried heated grips and vests but either I ride in too warm of weather in SE Georgia, or I am a little odd, and did not care for them. As mentioned above, my palms do not get overly cold and I usually just wear snowmobile gloves instead of my normal riding gloves. My chest is protected and find that what gets more cold on me is my neck and arms. Maybe if I rode in colder weather I would feel different but don't see very many days when the temp drops below 30.

White Mike said:
I tried heated grips and vests but either I ride in too warm of weather in SE Georgia, or I am a little odd, and did not care for them. As mentioned above, my palms do not get overly cold and I usually just wear snowmobile gloves instead of my normal riding gloves. My chest is protected and find that what gets more cold on me is my neck and arms. Maybe if I rode in colder weather I would feel different but don't see very many days when the temp drops below 30.

anything below 50 and I turn them on low setting.  I can wear my regular leather gloves and no chill in hands.  I am definitely different than you with regard to my hands getting cold.  even with snowmobile gloves, my hands get chilled.  in colder weather, like 30s, I wear my heavy gloves and have the grips on.  I actually got introduced to the heated grips on the 14 when I had it.  My very first ride was from Nashville back to Charlotte over the mountains in late december.  I found that if I kept my hands comfortable, the rest of me seemed to follow suit.  After a 7 hour trip back (arriving home around midnight), I was still comfortable as far as chill/cold was concerned.  I think you just need to come further north!  ;D

What grips did you go with?  I got a used set, the grips themselves are heated.  They work OK, but not great.  At 20- 40 barely keep my thick leather hands from freezing, if I put my hands in just the right position.  I am thinking about getting Murphs set that go under the grips?

dan4aspen said:
What grips did you go with?  I got a used set, the grips themselves are heated.  They work OK, but not great.  At 20- 40 barely keep my thick leather hands from freezing, if I put my hands in just the right position.  I am thinking about getting Murphs set that go under the grips?

I got the ones from murph that go under the grips.  I have relatively thin grips on the bike, so I get plenty of heat in low setting.  I am going to get a set of grip puppies to put on becasue it's really a bit too much heat just for cool riding.  I haven't even tried the high setting yet.  :eek:

the only negative about these is there is only a low and high setting.  I like the variable setting on the c14 better, but that's just a luxury as these do the job just fine.

White Mike said:
I find that what gets more cold on me is my neck and arms. Maybe if I rode in colder weather I would feel different but don't see very many days when the temp drops below 30.

I bought an Alpine Stars neck warmer and liked it so much I bought a second one. They run about eight inches from top to bottom and do a great job keeping your neck warm.

I bought the second one because I sometimes camp when it's cold and can wear one on my head and the other one around my neck when I sleep in the tent.

I have cruise control, so I can put both my hands in my pockets when they get cold.  :eek:

(No, I'm not serious)  ;D

I have the Murph's grips and also use Hippo Hands when the temps get into the 30's (and below). With my electric vest, I've been good into the low 20's for up to 2 hours. Could've gone longer but I had gotten to my destination.

Dammit.

Reading this thread gave me a brilliant idea to make a heated seat using a old heated seat element I saved from a job i did a few years back...

...yeah, the one I found in the bottom drawer of my tool box and said "what the h am i saving this for?" and pitched just two days ago.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Thud300 said:
...yeah, the one I found in the bottom drawer of my tool box and said "what the h am i saving this for?" and pitched just two days ago.

It's the negative reinforcement of these tragic tales that keep me from throwing out anything!  My wife just does not understand the potential risk...  :-[

Solomookie said:
Thud300 said:

It's the negative reinforcement of these tragic tales that keep me from throwing out anything!  My wife just does not understand the potential risk...  :-[

It's very easy to justify hoarding...  just remember it's about 1% of everything you threw out that you
could've used down the road.  I look at it as chance to get the best possible widget, rather than the 20 year old
one in the bottom drawer.