• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I like to sell my Connie and have my cake and it it too

When is the best time to sell a motorcycle? Spring?
I know the best time to buy one is winter....Right?

I retun back to Nevada May 16th untill October 1st.
I am torn to keep the motorcycle since it would be stored for quite some time!

As I have posted before I want to take the maiden voyage with this incredible machine.
I bought it last summer 30 days before I left for Thailand so I only rode it not more than a couple of hours at one time.

Is there a way that I could ride it for a month or 2 and then sell it or would I have missed the window of opportunity?  Last summer I sold my Nighthawk in July but it was a very unusual circumstance.

Damn, these are hard decisions to make!  It's a 2008 21,000 miles with nice upgrades.  Is Ebay the best place to sell it?  Any where on our site can I post it?

Please excuse my wishy washy .................but I am a pisces and true to my sign.

Robert

Depending on where you live, the autumn can be an excellent time to sell a motorcycle also.  If the bike's in Nevada, I'd think that you might have quite a long riding season there and it'd be relatively easy to sell then, but I live in Florida and might be wrong.

In Florida, the best riding season is actually the winter.

Always can count on you Chipdoc for some sound advice.  It tarts to get a little brisk mid Sept to October.  Sometimes it snows and sometime it doesn't snow at all.  I sold my 93 NH mid august but this guy was coming out to NV. for a family reunion.  Come to think about it I got a lot of calls off craigslist after I too his deposit.  So maybe I can ride it for 2 months and then sell it!

Have  or anyone had any luck using Ebay?

Robert

Try craigslist to sell it. You can sell a bike at any time of the year. Some will travel state to state for a good bike at the right price. I bought a Gold Wing in Oregon back in 2003, Flew up from So Cal and rode it home.

I can't speak for the selling experience, but the buying experience is great at CycleTrader.  I've bought two Connies through these folks.  It's free to post an ad for two weeks with four pictures.  It'll cost you to extend that, but it's not outrageously expensive.

http://www.cycletrader.com/

Depends on the difference between trade-in and retail value of your bike.  Unless you can get a lot more selling it on your own, it may not be worth your while.  And if you are buying another bike, the tax savings on the trade-in value needs to be figured into the decision.  Say you can sell it for $8000 on your own and trade-in is $6500, the tax savings for trade in could be $400-500 depending on the tax rate ($422 at 6.5%).  That means the numbers are really $8000 and around $7000.  You'll have to decide whether your time and the hassle is worth $1000.  Plus, the dealer is more inclined to give you a good deal if he knows he'll be making money later on your trade-in.

I've always prefer to spend considerably more time and effort on finding a great deal on BUYING.  If you got a great deal to begin with, selling it later won't be quite as painful.  I've traded in two bikes in the past 3 months and actually made money on one of them.  All because I did the homework - and legwork - up front on the purchase.  My experiences with cars are similar too.

Besides, buying is what it's all about, whereas selling is just a means to that end.  Don't dwell on the drudgery and get it over with, so you can enjoy the thrill of the hunt. ;D

2linby said:
What is the seling price? Details? Location?

Location is key, some area's you have a tough time riding in the winter so I'd think tuff to sell in the winter, however in places like FL or AZ there is probably little spikes or lows in best time of year to sell IMO...

I don't know , people always say to wait until spring to sell a boat or bike , I think February is a good time to list it , some folks get cash back at tax time .

cra-z1000 said:
I don't know , people always say to wait until spring to sell a boat or bike , I think February is a good time to list it , some folks get cash back at tax time .

Although it probably doesn't hurt to list in February (going with the tax return theory). I personally tend to think more towards March/April myself. Besides tax return funding. That's when (in my area) we're normally done with winter. It's also the point where the weather starts warming up and folks start getting spring fever. I know I'm itching to ride by then. So spring fever coupled with tax return money, is good for selling motorcycles. Of course this is just my opinion.  :motonoises:

Cap'n Bob said:
cra-z1000 said:

Although it probably doesn't hurt to list in February (going with the tax return theory). I personally tend to think more towards March/April myself. Besides tax return funding. That's when (in my area) we're normally done with winter. It's also the point where the weather starts warming up and folks start getting spring fever. I know I'm itching to ride by then. So spring fever coupled with tax return money, is good for selling motorcycles. Of course this is just my opinion.  :motonoises:

Yes , I guess in your neck of the woods this is true . Probably makes the "test ride" a bit easier too . I've been down here so long I've forgotten what a real winter is.....sure don't miss it though.. :p

2008 - with 21,000 miles.
Corbin seat, Large Cee Baley windshield, 2 brothers exhaust, good rubber.
I'm selling it becaue I with live in Thailand and not come back to the US for quite some time.
It's a wonderful bike..............but way to big for Thailand rodes.  I'm going back to the 750 nighthawk
as I can manage that real well.

Robert
775-434-8497