• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I want to cry

Suzzz

This is what I came home to after work today...  We had some pretty nasty winds this afternoon but I never thought it was that bad.  My Road Star was parked right next to it and didn't move.  I have ridden about 100km (60 miles) on this bike since I got it.  Does it still count as dropping it since I was miles away when it happened ?  They always say the first scratch is the worse... this one hurts !

Oh man. Sorry to see that. It looks so helpless and sad.

Are you sure the wind did that? That must have been some heavy and sustained gust. You better have some trees down as well.

I would have cried, we had strong wind here today and that crossed my mind while I was at work, mine was on center stand, was yours?

Yes DC,  I'm pretty sure it's the wind, I don't think my neighbours hate me that much.  And I live in a quiet neighbourhood.

FTB530... Unfortunately my center stand had to be removed when the bike was lowered. 

I will park closer to the house from now on so the bike can be somewhat sheltered.

Oh that sucks!  :'(  This may not make you feel better but it`s worse when your`re the cause of the drop.  I dropped mine last spring, my first week on the bike after waiting all winter to ride my new bike.

I almost started crying right there in the parking lot, Now my bike has come "character"  ;)

Claude

Well my canyon cages are not doing  any good sitting in the box, this has me determined to get them o. Today, if I don't go riding.

Oh I hear you, Claude.  It's the first one that hurts the most.  But if the bike is to go down it's better to do so when there's no one on it.  No one was hurt (except my heart that won't stop bleeding) and plastic is replaceable.

It might take me a few weeks to look at it as character though  :??:

FTB530 said:
Well my canyon cages are not doing  any good sitting in the box, this has me determined to get them o. Today, if I don't go riding.

Do it !!!  I was debating all week whether or not I could ''AFFORD'' to get a set right now...  Guess I got my answer now.

That really sucks & I feel for you. Since the bike was lowered was the kickstand shortened accordingly?

Cliff    :beerchug:

Yes it was Cliff and unfortunately it wasn't possible to keep the center stand, it was in the way of the lowering links so all I've got is the side stand now.  I parked the bike in the open and that spot in the driveway has a slight upward angle... it's my fault. 

My other bike, a Yamaha Road Star, was on the opposite side of the driveway about 4 feet away from the Connie.  The Roadie benefited from the slight downward angle of the driveway and was only 2-3 feet from the house and therefore somewhat sheltered from the wind.

Note to self...  next time, park ELSEWHERE !!!

All the plastics on the right side are cracked and the saddle bag is pretty scratched up. :??:

Did you shorten the sidestand to match the lowered amount? If not that is the culprit.

I feel your pain. I hit a raccoon when my FJR was 2wks old.

Well that sucks big time.  I can imagine your pain.  :-\
Hindsight is 20/20 though -so nothing you can do about it now EXCEPT
call your insurance company.  I would claim that - as all new parts will be a couple grand for sure.
Since you now know where NOT to park (no garage?) it is unlikely that it will happen again.

If the cover got damaged I would claim that too.

Count your blessing it wasn't a tornado as it might have very well ended up on someone's roof a block or more away.

To answer the question if it counts as dropping I would say NO.
The wind pushing it over is not a drop that you had anything to do with.  JMO

That is sad..... I do agree with Karl. We have and pay for insurance for a purpose. Call them/take to dealer for estimate (high) / and let the dealer fix it back to PERFECT. That's just what I would do.

I don't know if it's worth getting the insurance involved... I have a $1000 deductible.  And even though they always say they WILL NOT raise your premium, they always do.  So I'm still pondering on that one.

No... sadly... I do not have a garage.

Bikersuzzz said:
I don't know if it's worth getting the insurance involved... I have a $1000 deductible.  And even though they always say they WILL NOT raise your premium, they always do.  So I'm still pondering on that one.

No... sadly... I do not have a garage.

I doubt that this will help you now (this time) but I would check with your agent and see how much more it would cost to lower your deductible.

I called mine and went from a $500 deductible to a $200 and it cost me $8 more per year.  It would take a lot of years to make up $300 at $8/year, right?
Just saying that many people think they are saving money by using a high deductible and that is not always the case.

It's usually that they won't raise your rates for the 1st claim but after that - look out.
IF you agent tells you they won't raise the rate - ask for that in writing (or record the conversation) and IF it goes up call them on it.  JMO.

I see you put the strap under the bike too.  That usually helps it not be so much of a sail.  Sorry man.

Sorry to see that happen... :'(

I can believe the wind did that cause it happened to my C10.
To prevent future wind blow-overs, I took some rebar (folded in half to make a loop) and drove it into the ground where I park my scoot.
I use a shackle to connect the side stand to the rebar loop. It now withstands hurricane force winds.  >:D

You and I are thinking the same way Harry.

I bought a corkscrew stake, the kind usually used to tie a dog's leash and drove it into the ground.  That thing isn't coming out.  Then I'm taking a strap and tying it loosely around the bars, not tight, just enough to stop it from falling over.

I'm so sorry about this, Suzanne. It really makes you feel sick when things like this happen. I dropped my '13 C14 twice. One of the drops bent the frame underlying the plastic on the left side. Both drops were without Canyon Cages and Rear Bag Guards. I later totaled that bike. I have the Cages and Guards on my '15 C14.

Oh, just saw this. I'm so sorry about what happened.
I feel Like to cry too.
I can't believe the wind blow this heavy bike.

How did you do to fix the scratch and crack on the plastics?

grassmere said:
I feel Like to cry too.

$, that's how it's fixed  :-\

Zarticus said:
grassmere said:
I feel Like to cry too.

$, that's how it's fixed  :-\

Yes...  $$$  I didn't even bother to try to fix the plastic, just decided to buy new pieces.