• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

IF IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR "CLEM", maybe we should do it

Bullheadbert

Street Cruiser
I've been reading and thinking again, my better-half says that's always dangerous.

If you haven't read the May 2015 issue of Rider Magazine then beg, borrow or rent a copy.

The valley of death is a fascinating place - at least in my estimation.  Having been there more that 40 times since my first visit in 1967, I've seen a lot of it.  And during each visit I find something new to gawp at.  Some people ride or drive through, with quick stops at Badwater and Zabriskie Point and say, "Been there; done that". Except they haven't seen a smidgen of what there is to see.  -Clement Salvadori

Well if it's good enough for Clement Salvadori of Rider Magazine to go and "gawp at" more than 40 times since 1967 maybe the SW COGers might want to do some gaping of their own as a group, think of it as an annual season opener.

I know, I know what you're think'n, FOOL we're living in the Southwest; short of the mountains there is no "season opener" as the season never ends 24/7/365 except Christmas day, perhaps.  Ok, ok, I get it, but think of it as the Spring season opener or the closing of the Winter season of riding.

Back in March the CaffeineMan, who lives at the doorstep of "the valley of death", put on a soiree for some of the locals, picture link provided.  We had a great time the weather was accommodating and desert flowers were in bloom as were bikes and riders of all different persuasions - baggers to Buells, Guzzi's to Duc's and everything between.

Sooo, I'm thinking (being dangerous again)  maybe we could do a two and a half day soiree, say meet Friday evening in Olancha or Long Pine.  Next day ride Death Valley spend the night someplace with motel & camping accommodations then check out some of the south end of Death Valley before saying adieu and heading for home.

Is there any interest out there in the South West portion of COGdom to have a Death Valley Soiree in late March or early April?  If so I think (there we go again) that I can bribe the CaffieineMan with copious amounts of Starbucks to involve himself, along with others, to put on this event maybe, could be, would be, somehow we can make this thing happen.  WHAT SAY YOU  :-\

http://methus.smugmug.com/Death-Valley-Spring-15-ride

Signed, Anonymous

P.S. Don't tell "the Old Man" about this as I haven't run it up the flagpole and I don't want him planting me under the flagpole.

I think that sounds like a great idea for all of you West of the Continental Divide.  Unfortunately, the Rocky Mountains seem to be harder to ride across before the start of the "riding season".  :mad: :mad: :mad: Or I'm just a wimp.

I'll be with you in spirit and waiting impatiently for ride reports and pics.  :beerchug:

denver6 said:
I think that sounds like a great idea for all of you West of the Continental Divide.  Unfortunately, the Rocky Mountains seem to be harder to ride across before the start of the "riding season".  :mad: :mad: :mad: Or I'm just a wimp.

I'll be with you in spirit and waiting impatiently for ride reports and pics.  :beerchug:
In that regard, if you're a wimp then I am too.  No there was a qualifier in the posting - devil's always in the details.

"short of the mountains there is no 'season opener' "

From one wimp to another,  :mad:  :mad:  stay off the bike until the snow and ice clears and the riding season beings in the mountains - "don't let her slip, don't let her slide".

Bert

Well I could be talked into it...

We just need to skip the weekend of that foot race...

Oh, and Pahrump will have added a 100 room Holiday Inn Express before next spring as well.  So more rooms available.

backroadbob said:
I'll be back in Needles then. If the lodging cost fits my budget or if I can share a room, I'd be in for sure.
No problem, accomdations can always be made in that regard.

Summer's soon upon us, too hot to think about Death Valley when there's so many other places to ride and things to do.  But that will also change.  However, that won't change is CaffeineMan's habit and lust for the end product of fresh ground beans & hot water.  So I'm confident he's in.  If not then a little prodding by J and Jeff tag teaming him will do the job.  :pokestick:

Soooo, at this point it looks like five for Death Valley, most likely six with Reta on the pillion, and a reconnoitering ride in the late fall.

Are you reading this CaffeineMan, one pound or two of beans, dark or light roast?

Bert

I'll be back in the Mohave Valley in November. I'd be up for recon, ride, whatever. Keep me in mind in case I miss updates to this thread.

backroadbob said:
I'll be back in the Mohave Valley in November. I'd be up for recon, ride, whatever. Keep me in mind in case I miss updates to this thread.
I'll work it out with the Caffine Man set up a thread & PM you as well in advance

Bert