• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ignition Switch Removeal

Pete,

The ignition switch is fastened to the top triple clamp with tamper resistant screws, meaning the screws are designed to not be easily removed.  I've only done this once, so others may have a better method, but to start, you will need to remove the top triple clamp.  You can disconnect the switch wiring at a connector down near the frame.  To get the screws out, I ended up using a die grinder to grind off the screw heads to the point where the switch could be pulled off with the screws still in place.  With the switch off, you can use pliers to remove the old screws.  Use some socket head screws of the same size and length as the old screws to reattach the switch.  Reinstall the top clamp, reconnect the wires, and you're ready to go.

Gary... thanks for your help.... that's what I thought... but wanted to confirm it with some one that has done it before.
Pete

I have also gained access by pulling the upper fairing to expose the bottom of the mount and switch (I've done this several times and used a different method each time).  I agree that pulling the upper triple is about as easy as it gets.

A couple of ways I have used to pull the screws once you have access is to:
a. Using a dremel cut-off, grind a slot in them and then use an impact screw driver on em.
b. Set a nut over the round heads and MIG it on.  Then while still fairly hot I just grabbed a wrench and turned them out easily.

IHTH