• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Im curious has anyone gone from a Harely to a C14?

yojohnnieg

Tricycle
Just wondering has anyone like myself gone from riding a Harley (2004 heritage softail classic) to a C14.

I know both bikes are a world apart especially in the technology department it seems like a lot of people went from BMWS to the C14 just wondering about HD? Thanks...

Believe it or not, there have been quite a few. Some Harley's and some other brand cruisers. Most are still around. But there are a few that went back. I prescribe to the try to own both theory, if you can. That way you can enjoy the different types of riding, how ever the mood strikes you!  :D

I still have 3 Harleys.  For a week of 2 up touring the 103 inch Ultra is it.  For long day rides and solo trips I take the C-14.  Yes I suffer from multiple bike disorder and right now from PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome).  Rick

I rode Harley's for 8 years before buying a 2008 C14.  I now own a 2010 C14.  Previous to Connie's, I rode a 2000 Softail Standard, a 2001 Road King and a 2007 Street Glide.  I can honestly say, without hesitation, that I do not miss riding Harley's.  I thought at first that I would.  I simply wanted more horsepower and speed along with the technology that comes with the C14.  I also like the fact that I spend my time riding and not polishing chrome.  I still ride with some friends who ride Harley's, including a Harley dealer, on a long trip once a year.  Buy a new C14 and keep the Harley if you can.  If your wife is like mine and will not allow a garage full of bikes, make a leap of faith to a C14! 

I sold my '05 Electra Glide to buy a gently used '08 C-14, I still have a Sportster.  After a 5,000 mile trip on the Harley this summer, I decided I'd enjoyed all the noise and vibration I could stand.  The HD had 53,000 miles on it and I was afraid it was getting into the maintenance nightmare stage.  And I wanted a sport tourer.  The last really sporty bike I had was a '75 model CB750.  After I got married I got an 1100 GoldWing so my wife would be comfortable, then a series of 1500 GoldWings, Valkyrie Tourer, 1800 GoldWing, then a couple of Electra Glides.  The Connie feels small to me, and my wife is surprisingly comfortable on it, the best of both worlds.

I was at the motorcycle show in November and went from a Street Glide to an XR1200 to a Night Rode to an Ultra...and then to my C14..  Does that count?  :)

Thanks for the input.. Like i said i had a 2004 softail and was worried that i would have missed it after i start to ride the C14 but I'm sure now i most definitely made the right decision. Oh man did i spend many hours waxing the Harley!!

Just bought a 2008 C14 ABS about a month ago, and LOVE IT! Still own 2 HD's - 04 Road King and 95 Dyna Wide Glide. Had a 95 Electra Glide and a 90 Springer before that. Owned all Yamaha's before 1993. I definitely enjoy the technical "enhancements" on the C14. Still plan to jump on the Rd King for some trips. I am really looking forward to riding with my FJR buddy around the mountains in CO where we live. He let me test ride his FJR a couple times over that past 2 years, and I got hooked on the Sport Touring mode.

johnnieg said:
Just wondering has anyone like myself gone from riding a Harley (2004 heritage softail classic) to a C14.

I know both bikes are a world apart especially in the technology department it seems like a lot of people went from BMWS to the C14 just wondering about HD? Thanks...

I, like many, went from BMW to the C14. After riding BMW RTs for a decade, I started to consider the BMW K1200GT & K1300GT. I found out at a seminar at the last BMWNOA International Rally, that there was a lot of problems with the BMW K/GT motorcycles. So, I purchased a 2010 C14 and have been happy I did. The price savings was icing on the cake.

I had a 1992 FXRS Low Rider that rattled my fillings. After a few trips two-up with the wife, we both had had enough of the vibration. I sold the HD and bought an '08 C14 back in '07 and have never looked back. My wife enjoys the comfort, too, and will ride with me again. I've had zero trouble with the C14 and will keep it until it or I can no longer ride.

I sold my 2005 FLHT 114 cubic inch, 110 RWHP, 110 lbs torque stump puller to buy a 2010 C14. The HD torque beats the C14 for 2up riding IMHO but the C14 does everything else way better and since I don't ride 2up much anymore I don't miss the iron horse.

aliasalias said:
I sold my 2005 FLHT 114 cubic inch, 110 RWHP, 110 lbs torque stump puller to buy a 2010 C14. The HD torque beats the C14 for 2up riding IMHO but the C14 does everything else way better and since I don't ride 2up much anymore I don't miss the iron horse.

Right, 110 HP on an HD TC motor (stock=68 HP) -- how many C14s could you have bought for the money it took to achieve that?  Nearly doubling the HP of an engine would reduce the longevity by the same factor or more.  Can you imagine doubling the HP of a stock C14?  Now that would be something to brag about !!

I went from a 2003 Buell Lightning to a 2011 Concours and after 200 miles I'm pissed I didn't make the switch to a Concours sooner.  Night and day difference.

I have a 99 Roadglide which has been all over the West as well as a Aprila Tuono which hasn't been too far.
I just picked up 2011 Silver C14 today so I can ride with my buddy who has a RT1200!

Phil said:
I have a 99 Roadglide which has been all over the West as well as a Aprila Tuono which hasn't been too far.
I just picked up 2011 Silver C14 today so I can ride with my buddy who has a RT1200!

Congrats Phil. It's nice to have more than one type of bike. That way you can ride and enjoy different riding experiences, depending on what mood your in!

I came off a Kawasaki Nomad. I've had too many bikes to list (mostly BMW's) but always gravitate back to sport tourers. If I could only have one bike it would be an ST for sure. However, I am fortunate enough to have more than 1 so I may pick up a Yamaha Raider for when I feel like cruising. You may miss the Harley occasionally but I doubt you would ever regret your decision.

I went to a C14 after three Harleys.  I got tired of the wind, noise, and heat. 
The C14 runs circles around any Harley in so many ways!

Bruce Genck  Mpls.

Hi, just got my C14 abs from Minesota this last weekend. I drove it back to Green Bay 400 miles.
It is a left over, new 2008 that had 17 miles on it (yes mom, I followed the break in procedure!). It rained the whole time, from a drizzel to an outright down pour! I was able to get pretty intimate with this bike! I had just sold my Harley Ultra that I ran for just over two years.  That bike took me to work about 3 miles a day and on some nice long rides (2 to 3 hundred mile stretches) through some fun mountains in the Ozarks. Was it a great bike? Absolutley! Was it confortable? Hell yes, I loved it! But.... It would not stop fast. Did not corner well. Was hot on my legs, and the list goes on. It was like a 59' Cadillac; nice looking, fun to drive, and floated well! The Connie on the other hand is nimble, powerful, high-tech, and stops faster than anything I have ever owned! It is like a high-end Audi. Let's face it most of us had or have a cool old car and know its quirks but love it unwavingly. But when you see that new-tech, power house, corner like it's on rails, stops on a dime 60 grand + Audi go rocking by, we wish we were in that car! What is nice though, Kawasaki makes this possible for about less than half of a Harley! Way to go Kawasaki! For some of us we can't afford both worlds! Some day a Harley may appear in my garage again, but it is going to have to share space with my connie! 

Went from a Vulcan 900 to the C14.  After spending way too much on the bike to think id get rid of it after 3 years makes me laugh, but the C14 is definitely worth it.  Won't get all the compliments from random people as I ride down the road but I sure will have a lot more fun doing it!

I've never owned a Harley-Davidson but I have owned a couple of Buells (M2 Cyclone & XB12S). Do they count?  ;)

After three Harleys and many road trips I'm now on my second Connie.  The first was an 09.
I now have an upgraded 2011, and am fixing it up for far less than I ever spent on my Harleys!
The C14 is the best all around bike I've ever owned.  However, I still have the big girl (Gold Wing)
for two up.  I'll never get my wife off that one for long trips.  brgenck in Minneapolis.

BruceGenck said:
I now have an upgraded 2011, and am fixing it up for far less than I ever spent on my Harleys!

That's where Harley does very well. The accessories and clothing after the bike purchase! Very smart on their part. The Japanese manufacturers haven't implemented a program to match them. The money they could pull in on accesories!  >:D

Just spent the weekend on an Electra Glide Ultra 103 with the wife.  She doesn't like being a pssenger on the Connie so we rented the Harley to see what we we each thought.  I would definately consider it as a second bike, maybe pick up a slightly used one (there seems to be no shortage of them at Harley Dealers) but I do have a couple concerns as far as the comfort goes.  We felt very cramped on the Hog, I'm 6'02" about 210lbs and my passenger is only 5'3" and about 125 but we are each hurting the day after the ride.  I could see some highway pegs, backrest, and slightly higher bars to make the ride more tolerable.  Any suggestions?  I will also say the Harley had the BEST wind protection for both riders that we have ever experienced (including several thousand miles on an '08 Goldwing).  If I were still a smoker I could have easily lit one up and smoked it with the cruise set at 75.  One other note after spending some time in Harley dealerships.  They know how to take care of you and everyone I talked to there knows their product.  When I bought my Connie I was telling my salesperson specifics about the bike he didn't know.  I'd buy an HD just based on what appears to be industry leading customer support. 

Had the opportunity to spend the weekend on an Electra Glide Ultra 103.  The wife doesn't like the passenger seat on my 2010 Connie so we rented the HD.  At 6'2" 210lbs and my wife at 5'3" 125 we each felt cramped.  I could see some possible fixes with highway pegs, a backrest, and taller bars but I still loved the bike.  We have logged about 20K miles on an '08 Goldwing but this HD had better wind protection than any bike I've ever ridden.  Calm enough to smoke while cruising at 70 (if I still did smoke) and the wife said she got no back draft.  Also after spending time in a couple HD dealerships they definately know how to take care of their customers and they know their product,  I'd by an HD based on that alone!  I had to tell my Kawasaki salesperson specifices about the bike that he didn't know.....matter of fact he didn't even ride anymore.  We're renting a Road Glide Ultra 103 next month, we'll see how that goes.

I grew up on motorcycles and have owned 3 HDs - Sportster, FXDWG, and FLHTCUI. I traded for the Ultra in 2000 and enjoyed every minute of my time on it including many 700+ mile days. After a trip to the Big Bend area last Fall with several friends on either Goldwings, or Sport Touring machines, I decided it was time for a change. I was tired of riding behind, and then playing catch up.

I sold the FLH last week, and picked up a 2010 Connie (new) on Saturday and got in just over 400 miles during the holiday weekend. One word, "WOW". Very comfortable and the performance is incredible. The HDs are beautiful, stylish, and comfortable, but for handling, stopping, and performance, there is no comparison to the Concours.

With the prior bikes I've owned, it has usually taken me a little time to really feel that I made the right purchasing decision. Not so for the Concours. It felt right in the dealership parking lot.

I had a Harley 1200 sporster in the early 90's and could'nt get rid of it fast enough............to this day I don't see why anybody would want one.Performance.quality,handeling,nobody can match the Japanese dollar for dollar.

I went from a Vulcan 1500 Classic to a C-10.  I loved the decision instantly.  Some day I'll have a 14, and I'm sure I'll feel the same way on that one.

On a slight side note, I had the Vulcan decked out for touring, but my wife liked the switch as instantly as I did.

Joe said:
Had the opportunity to spend the weekend on an Electra Glide Ultra 103.  The wife doesn't like the passenger seat on my 2010 Connie so we rented the HD.  At 6'2" 210lbs and my wife at 5'3" 125 we each felt cramped.  I could see some possible fixes with highway pegs, a backrest, and taller bars but I still loved the bike.  We have logged about 20K miles on an '08 Goldwing but this HD had better wind protection than any bike I've ever ridden.  Calm enough to smoke while cruising at 70 (if I still did smoke) and the wife said she got no back draft.  Also after spending time in a couple HD dealerships they definately know how to take care of their customers and they know their product,  I'd by an HD based on that alone!  I had to tell my Kawasaki salesperson specifices about the bike that he didn't know.....matter of fact he didn't even ride anymore.  We're renting a Road Glide Ultra 103 next month, we'll see how that goes.

Be careful, the Road Glide is Harley's best kept secret.  What I have found is that everybody has their own opinion and no 2 of us will feel the same.

After owning a Harley Vrod(Nightrod) since 2006, I ended up buying a 2010 Concours last year.  Kept the Vrod thinking I'd still ride it a fair amount.  Unfortunately it just sat until a month ago when I sold it.  In my opinion the only thing the Harley had going for it was the cool factor.  While the Vrod held it's own performance wise it was no match for the Concours.  Customer support?  Try asking the Harley service dept about the Vrod and they'll just scratch their heads.  Year to year advancements in technology on Harleys(color doesn't count) doesn't come close to that of the Concours. 

My experience with the VROD is even the Harley "PURIST" owners did not accept it as a true HD.  On the other hand I think they should put that Porsche technology in all their bikes. 

556ALPHA said:
My experience with the VROD is even the Harley "PURIST" owners did not accept it as a true HD.  On the other hand I think they should put that Porsche technology in all their bikes.

Your right. Everyone i know that has owned a V Rod always felt somewhat shunned form the rest of the Harley community. I went through that years ago. The Porsche people looked down their noses at anyone with a front engined Porsche! Especially the 928 for some reason!  ???

I went from from a Honda VTX 1800 to a 2008 Connie.  Wow, i love the  c14 and wonder why I waited so long to make the switch.  I now know what real riding is all about.

Steve

ive done a  full circle now, had an 08 concours then had to have an 09 FLHX, rode it for a few years then just went an bought a new 2010 concours, glad to be back.

my FLHX was badA$$ but the ride quality was less than desired, and the bucks i was looking to spend on it were rediculous. SOLD HARLEY bought wife a TERYX and me a new concours, now much happy family.

not to mention all my friends' friends that i occasionally rode with were those whom watched to many episodes of that biker TV show SON OF ANARCHY, all of em just like a kmart kowboy.

i didnt know brand power was that empowering, i still rocking the hickorys from when i worked in the woods, hill billy forever

8)

Re: "Im curious has anyone gone from a Harely to a C14"

Not directly, but I went from a '79 Glide many years ago to a shaft driven LTD to a KZ, then on to a ZX10 followed by a ZRX1200R.
The '08 Connie was love at first sight.
The Superglide was a complete piece of crap right out of the box. Absolutely no regrets moving on to Kawasaki.

Went to the Harley demo day last weekend, and rode a few of their "best" bikes.
Was very happy to get back on my Connie for the ride home.

I went from my 2000 HD Deuce to the Concours14.  I am always amazed at the contempt that the non Harley riders have for HD.  I switched for a few reasons but primarily my back. I have multiple herniated discs and can't ride with my feet in front of me while going over a bump.  I have always loved BMW's and FJR's but when I was able to get an 09 for the deals they were cutting, I couldn't say no. Anyone want to buy a 2000 HD Deuce?

Don't think this counts but I 'went from' a Harley when they couldn't perform, ride, handle or compete with bikes that cost half their price...which began decades ago.  Why struggle with a 'tank' when you can enjoy the ride, performance, and handling (did I mention HP?) of a better machine?  Guess maybe I am biased, but at least I have owned two Harley's when I was a young man...and I don't miss either of them or the problems they had.  It always amuses me as to why, when it comes to comparing vehicles with 4 wheels, a differenct set of standards is used than with 2 wheel vehicles whenever a person is talking about Harley Davidson.  Would a person drive a heavy, low hp car that doesn't handle very well on a track?  I don't think so...yet there are people that would do exactly that on a motorcycle.  Forgive me if I've offended any HD sympathizers, this is only my humble opinion and observation after 60 years...People can ride whatever they like, makes no difference to me as long as they keep to the right.  :)

I did, and gladly too! I've been riding on the street since 15-1/2 years old (1968)...first bike was a Honda 90 Scrambler, 2nd bike was a Honda 305 Scrambler, 3rd bike was a new 1980 Kawasaki 1000 LTD. Since that bike I've owned 10 Harleys, the most recent a 2011 Street Glide with the 103 "Power Pack" option. After I bought that bike, I realized it was more of the "same old thing" of spending LOTS of money trying to make a Harley do what it simply is INCAPABLE of doing (performance, braking, relevant technology). By chance, and at the recommendation of a CHP motor officer that I see at the Del Mar Coffee Bean on Via De Lavalle, I took a look at the 2011 Concours 14 ABS... Well, soon after, the Harley was gone to a buyer in Arizona and shortly after that, I was the proud owner of a 2011 Concours 14 ABS. THIS BIKE IS F-IN' UNBELIEVABLE!!! Soon after I installed the "low gel" seat, the Heli-Bar risers, and Steve Beaudry (Beaudry Motorsports) told me how to set the suspension for a 58 year old, 270 lb. power-lifter-bodybuilder, I was slicing through the Ortega Highway like BUTTER and easily doing full-throttle blasts that totally satiated my need for speed. I will NEVER go back to an overpriced, under-performing Harley again! This bike hauls ass, stops on a dime, is liquid cooled and has relevant technology! Oh, how I pity the fools who "drink the Kool-Aid" and buy a Harley!!!

I'm waiting for the 2012 HD Street Glide to come out in July- August. Then I will decide. I had a 2002 Fat Boy. Got a 2010 C14 in July. Now selling to go back to HD. With a wife and two young kids I can't keep both. The C14 is a better engineered bike, no doubt about it. I just miss the rumble and the torque.