• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I'm stupid and now have the CDA to prove it

Solomookie

Street Cruiser
Well, F-10 took a fall today.  She was parked at the time; so obviously stupidity is to blame. I was parked on an incline with the kickstand to the upper side. It seemed stable enough but I should have known better. I put my helmet in the side case, and when I shut the case, it was enough force to push it over the other way. I broke the foot peg, antler mount, and my upper fairing. 

So pass one of those CDAs over this way.  I have two identical C-10s so now I have to decide whether to take parts off one to fix the other.  Anyone know if antlers and foot pegs can be welded?
:mad:

That sucks Dale.  Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Hopefully the fairing isn't too bad.  The peg and antler are more of a nuisance.

4Bikes said:
All parking spaces should be level. New law.

The law that got me was gravity; no changing that one.  I didn't even see it fall.  I was talking to someone to my left as I was clicking down the clasps, and I heard, not saw, it fall. 

I rode home with my right foot on the passenger peg.  It was no big deal for piloting, but my hip was giving me hell by the time I got home from riding in such a different position for an hour and a half.  The ride home also gave me plenty of time to think about what an idiot I was. 

Tomorrow I'll start formulating a plan for repair.  Upper cowlings cost too much to buy, so I'm going to try to fix it.  The foot peg is toast; so it's either the emporium or one of the five different online parts houses that I frequent.  I think I can fix the antler.  It was a nice clean break about two inches above the front latch. 

Maybe not stupid, just klutzy (at least that's what I consider myself).
Sorry you had damage; makes it impossible to make fun of you.  :'(
Time to invest in Tip-Over bars?
Hope you get her fixed well.
Jorge

Yep, that's some bad news Dale.  Glad you weren't hurt but it sounds as if poor Connie had a bad time of it.  Antlers can be welded without a hitch.  Footpegs? Don't even think about it.  You rest your entire weight on those things when things get dicey, and you do NOT need to have a footpeg let go in that moment. 

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 557th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0553 C14 Michael Stevens
0554 C10 David Lovelady
0555 C10 Paul Nosek
0556 C10 Michael Hotz
0557 C10 Dale McGinnis

Sorry to hear of your CDA status.

I had a broken antler welded almost seamlessly at a boat-repair shop. Evidently welding aluminum is a skill not all welders posess

Good luck!

There was an article in the October Rider magazine for a fairing repair/repaint shop located in Azusa, Ca.  It is a family business that welds and makes major repairs to the plastic.  It might be worth checking into.  Sorry you had to join the club.

bornagainfairings.com  626-334-5700

Thanks for the info, Rick.  My auto body guy who does all my work on my Rav's spare tire cover (multiple CDA style incidents) has assured me that he can fix it if I can't.  However, I have the fairing repaired good enough for my less than exacting standards.  Still working on how to make it as pretty as possible, but it is again functional. 

When fixed, it will be going on R-10.  I appropriated R-10's fairing to get F-10 (the CDA) back up and running.  R-10's health went south when I installed Murph's blocking plates.  Still haven't figured out what I could have done to screw it up so bad.  You could say that in motorcycle terms, she is going to end up with scars from catching a cold.  Maybe next time she won't screw with me!  ;D