• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

In the market for a new jacket

kzz1king

Looking at all the black Friday sales has me interested in a new jacket. Priorities are protection and price. I use an electronic liner so not so concerned about cold weather or rain protection. Safety is important but my budget is limited . 250 to maybe 500 total. Not opposed to used. What should I be looking at?

Looking at all the black Friday sales has me interested in a new jacket. Priorities are protection and price. I use an electronic liner so not so concerned about cold weather or rain protection. Safety is important but my budget is limited . 250 to maybe 500 total. Not opposed to used. What should I be looking at?
I have found a couple nice ones used on Ebay . My go to is my Vanson perfed leather . 600 dollar jacket new I bought for 150 .

What size?

I found my motoport jacket and pants on eBay and made a new friend in the process. $600 for the set. I also have an aerostich road crafter one piece suit that I found on eBay some years ago for $425. I like the one piece for cool to cold weather. The motoport is for warm to hot weather. Full heated liners make for a warm ride. I went for a ride today and was toasty warm. If you save a search for something on eBay, you'll get notified every time a new listing is posted. That's how you find some deals there. HTH

Second that ...... buy once, never have to buy again. I wear my heated liner under my Motoport and ride down to about 35 degrees comfortably. Yesterday was 28 and I was fine.

My Motoport is almost a decade old. No signs of having to be replaced. I had 9 or 10 jackets in my first decade of riding. Summer jackets, winter jackets. Brought them back from the UK when I waws over there....still walk through the racks at Iron Pony just to see what is out there but have not felt the urge to purchase anything and still have a few hanging upstairs....gave a few away to riders who needed/wanted gear but could not afford it.

I replaced my Tourmaster gear after ~12-15 years, was showing it’s age/ wear and fading. Still waterproof (mostly couple seams were giving up) no complaints whatsoever…

Of course the need for replacement came at the height of the pandemic product stock-out and new Tourmaster jackets were nowhere to be found.

In a pinch (long trip coming) I set out to find a similar to the protection waterproof and comfort jacket as the Tourmaster. I purchased the reflective gray Sedici Avventura waterproof, 4 season jacket. The Sedici brand (Revzilla/ Cycle Gear brand) was new to me but quality was food so I went with it.

Many 10’s of thousands of miles, Temps in the teens to 109 *F, desert dry to monsoon rain to snow and even outrunning a Kansas tornado - I have yet to be disappointed. The Sedici is a distributor’s in-house brand but should not confused with a discount store, no safety / minimal quality brand because that it is surely is not. Only two things you must accept - zippers are European style and on the wrong side - lol…. And the waterproofness is obtained with a waterproof zip in liner, kind of a pain but performs well (when inserted 🙄 - you will try a few times to put wait the rain then you learn…

FWIW, at the same time my wife also replaced her jacket and went with a First Gear Kilimanjaro. The Kilimanjaro is a high quality jacket without need for a waterproof liner the shell itself is waterproof, however the same weather exposures above the Avventura does much better in hot weather, the Kilimanjaro does not breath near as well. That said, the Kilimanjaro would likely out-perform the Avventura in a slide / crash. There is a trade off of some degree.

Anyhow - there you go, two great options that we’ve tested for a few years and I don’t think you would be disappointed with either.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I think price and value are, sometimes, very different.
In 2010 I bought a Scorpion Holeshot jacket, I think I paid $169 for it at a MC dealer in Indy. That jacket is still going strong. Elbow, shoulder and spine protection, looks good and all zippers and snaps work as they did new. Hi-viz on upper torso has faded some but still a great jacket.
The only jacket I've bought on-line (and was pleased) was a 1st Geat Tex-Mesh to replace the one I'd "used up" and I knew the quality and fit.
If you have a dealer with a good selection, I'd go there. I don't need a jacket for now, but when I do, I will do like Tom and visit the Iron Pony (just over 2 hrs from me).

If you have a dealer with a good selection, I'd go there.
This is great advice! Buying clothing without knowing the fit is a no go for me - I may be shaped… differently… lol

Also - you are a consumer and have many options, if you go to a dealer and find what you like but price is not competitive to what you find online (as is sometimes the case)have no shame in telling a dealer their price is too high (if it is). Tell them what price you need or if nothing else you find what you like you can order online from any number of dealers.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I found my motoport jacket and pants on eBay and made a new friend in the process. $600 for the set. I also have an aerostich road crafter one piece suit that I found on eBay some years ago for $425. I like the one piece for cool to cold weather. The motoport is for warm to hot weather. Full heated liners make for a warm ride. I went for a ride today and was toasty warm. If you save a search for something on eBay, you'll get notified every time a new listing is posted. That's how you find some deals there. HTH
Ty
I think price and value are, sometimes, very different.
In 2010 I bought a Scorpion Holeshot jacket, I think I paid $169 for it at a MC dealer in Indy. That jacket is still going strong. Elbow, shoulder and spine protection, looks good and all zippers and snaps work as they did new. Hi-viz on upper torso has faded some but still a great jacket.
The only jacket I've bought on-line (and was pleased) was a 1st Geat Tex-Mesh to replace the one I'd "used up" and I knew the quality and fit.
If you have a dealer with a good selection, I'd go there. I don't need a jacket for now, but when I do, I will do like Tom and visit the Iron Pony (just over 2 hrs from me).
I would love to see and try stuff on. Unfortunately there are few options available other than HD dealers. Should have traveled to Sturgis this summer.

I replaced my Tourmaster gear after ~12-15 years, was showing it’s age/ wear and fading. Still waterproof (mostly couple seams were giving up) no complaints whatsoever…

Of course the need for replacement came at the height of the pandemic product stock-out and new Tourmaster jackets were nowhere to be found.

In a pinch (long trip coming) I set out to find a similar to the protection waterproof and comfort jacket as the Tourmaster. I purchased the reflective gray Sedici Avventura waterproof, 4 season jacket. The Sedici brand (Revzilla/ Cycle Gear brand) was new to me but quality was food so I went with it.

Many 10’s of thousands of miles, Temps in the teens to 109 *F, desert dry to monsoon rain to snow and even outrunning a Kansas tornado - I have yet to be disappointed. The Sedici is a distributor’s in-house brand but should not confused with a discount store, no safety / minimal quality brand because that it is surely is not. Only two things you must accept - zippers are European style and on the wrong side - lol…. And the waterproofness is obtained with a waterproof zip in liner, kind of a pain but performs well (when inserted 🙄 - you will try a few times to put wait the rain then you learn…

FWIW, at the same time my wife also replaced her jacket and went with a First Gear Kilimanjaro. The Kilimanjaro is a high quality jacket without need for a waterproof liner the shell itself is waterproof, however the same weather exposures above the Avventura does much better in hot weather, the Kilimanjaro does not breath near as well. That said, the Kilimanjaro would likely out-perform the Avventura in a slide / crash. There is a trade off of some degree.

Anyhow - there you go, two great options that we’ve tested for a few years and I don’t think you would be disappointed with either.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I am liking most of what I read about this jacket except issues with zippers becoming separated or easily snagged. Nothing worse than trying to get in the road and have zipper problems. Any issues with yours?

I am liking most of what I read about this jacket except issues with zippers becoming separated or easily snagged. Nothing worse than trying to get in the road and have zipper problems. Any issues with yours?
Absolutely no issues with zippers.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Ty

I would love to see and try stuff on. Unfortunately there are few options available other than HD dealers. Should have traveled to Sturgis this summer.
What state/ region are you located?

Distributors like Dennis Kirk, Revzilla, Cycle Gear often have demo rooms close to their warehouses that allow you to order items for try-on. Sure there are many more that do this too.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

North Dakota. Closest would be the Twin Cities for cycle gear and Dennis Kirk isn't to far from there.

Last edited:
If I could get past the hi viz I would give this on a try
Good reviews but other colors are 450

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126-142651.png
    Screenshot_20231126-142651.png
    416.7 KB · Views: 25