• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Incorrect igniter assessment

Motorcyclerider

A while back I posted about installing a gpz900 igniter with excellent results. I’ve discovered the mistake that I’ve made. Original c10 igniter part numerous is 21119-1111 and the one I thought was an upgrade from a gpz900 was 21119-1110. It is not. I was looking through some threads last night and found that a gentleman from France has done some circuit board repairs to his gpz1000rx igniter and was very satisfied with the performance of that igniter. I had come to realize that I was incorrect about the part number from the c10 to the gpz igniter having any significant difference. However when I changed the original c10 igniter to the gpz900 igniter I did notice a significant performance increase. I removed the casing for the original igniter and inspected. The transformers appeared to have a been exposed to a high amount of heat. Before installing my coil on plug setup one of my caps had excessive resistance which I believe cause the igniter to malfunctions. I have plenty of oem c10 igniters and a gpz1000rx so I did some testing. The know good c10 igniter worked the same as the gpz900. Felt flat below 5k rpm but pulled hard to redline. The gpz1000rx gave the bike A noticeable increase in sharpness Al low rpm and seemed to take throttle easier. Although it didn’t rev quite as high about 10,000rpm. Something still felt a little off. A little flat. Like a cylinder down on power. Some of my connection for the free power mod had deteriorated. I repaired them with some very thick wiring. Also went through the carbs last night bench syncing them, lowering the needles, and setting the float heights. I had been wondering why my bike had been feeling a little flat like it had a bent rod or low compression but has all that tested and checked out. After repairing the free power mod the bike is a rocket. Not to mention I’m running ninja 1000 cams, modifier cam timing, gpz1100 36mm carbs with factory pro needles and 130 mains with a portion of the airbox closed off with foam thanks to Steve’s input. The only thing I’m a little disappointed in is the rev limited as I think the bike can pull a little further. Since I’m not going for the conventional torquey c10 my next move is to install a zl900 bevel drive to tighten the gear ratio in order to make it easier to keep the bike in the powerband. I’ve found a company that sell the gpz1000rx igniter with adjustable ignition table which could be interesting in the future. A little pricey though. However there are a few 21119-1164/1165 zx10/gpz1000rx igniters for sale on eBay for a reasonable price. Don’t worry about the extra pin I think it’s for a shift light. Hope someone finds this interesting.

Do these various bikes use the same coils?

If so, I wonder if the only real differences are the timing advance curve? I would expect those would be tuned differently between the ZG1000 and the more high-powerband GPZ/Ninjas.